(Topic ID: 175600)

How Would Skyrim on PinballFX Translate to Real Pinball?

By Glarrownage

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Nokoro
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ScreenShot8 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider glarrownage.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

So, I'm not much of a virtual pinball player. However, Skyrim blew me away with its RPG elements, stats, leveling sytem, equipment, crafting, amongst other things. I know Epic Quest had RPG elements but Skyrim takes it to a whole new level. So my obvious question is how would this translate to real pinball? Would the implementation of persistent characters work? Would a pinball machine with RPG elements be better as a rougelike? Obviously, there are a lot of pieces of Skyrim that would not be possible in a real machine (like the ability to pause at anytime to access the inventory) but I'm interested in anyones thoughts that has tried it.

In a perfect world, I envision a JJP style lcd game with persistence, leveling, and of course loot. With JJPs recent bluetooth/smart phone compatibility, it would be a perfect way to save a character and transfer it to a friends game. I would also imagine a tournament mode where players could be assigned a default character to make it a level playing field. For multiplayer, a turn-based PvP system (ball to ball) would be really interesting to see as well.

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

I agree with you. I recently downloaded Skyrim, because I'm a big fan of the video game, and immediately slapped my head and thought "They stole my idea!" I've had this idea for a while about an RPG pin where you can save stats, and your character's stats affect the modes. Of course, I have no relevant skills to make it happen, just imagination.
    I really think some form of this could work. The Skyrim example, though, is too complicated for a regular pin. I think you need to simplify it with just a few character attributes and far less inventory. I can imagine that your ability to complete modes would depend on stats. For example, defeating some monster would require you to make a number of shots, and if you have more strength, that number would be lower. There could be two kick outs in each outlane, and your defense number could directly affect how many saves you get. While you couldn't pause the game to access inventory at any time, there could be a shot into a scoop representing an inventory bag that would allow for such a pause.
    I really think there is a huge amount of potential for this concept. It could be as revolutionary to pinball as modes were when they were first introduced. I agree that JJP would do a great job with this. I hope they take notice.

Hey thanks for the response. Yeah I'm in total agreement with you, I've been waiting for someone to do this for a long time. You are right, the Skyrim PinballFX is far too complicated for a real machine. There is certainly a fine line between adding RPG elements to a game like this and making it a turn off for the average pinball player. Personally, I think this is what is missing from pinball that could bring more of our generation into pinball (I assume you are younger than the average age of the community). I think if JJP hired someone who has experience working on RPGs, they could put together something revolutionary.

Getting into the details, the scoop for accessing the menu system is a perfect solution. The "select" button could be the button on the lockdown bar and the flippers could be used to move the curser. Pushing both flippers at the same time could cancel or exit the menu. The tournament setting would allow people that have no interest in the RPG aspects to still enjoy the game. As far as the health bar and fights go, what would be the most realistic punishment for your character losing all of their health? I think a ball drain would be too harsh. I assume you would just lose the mode and not gain any XP?

I'm guessing if the above would be true, for any fights you would have to start some sort of mode. Outside of the modes I don't think the health bar could be used, which I don't think is an issue. Random enemies would be fairly easy to code and could scale with your character. Man, there are so many cool things you could do with a game like this. I don't think it would require and new hardware that isn't already being used.

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

Do you want to start a pinball company with me? Do you have any capital?
    I'm just going to wait until the Powerball jackpot gets high again, and then I'm going to win it and hire people to make this happen.

Dude, talk about a dream job. I find it impossible that we are the only two that are excited about this lol.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

I was thinking that the other thing that made Skyrim the video game unique was infinite questing. It has code to generate random and continuous side quests at Inns, towns and other places. It would be cool to have that in a pin so there would always be something new to do.

Yes, exactly! They do the same thing with the loot system in games like Diablo and Borderlands. It's not infinite, but it feels like it. I think it would be essential to have randomized variables for quests and loot to make the game feel endless.

Quoted from ronaldvg:

As a Skyrim fan this is just unbelievable how well this is done and how amazing the code already is at launch. Seeing this is MUCH more elaborate than a real machine that makes me think if Stern and JJP would not be better off hiring some new programmers with fresh idea's. They would certainly also be more up to date with what is possible in modern programming than just play a video when a switch is hit. That is how the big screens are utilized right now for the most part, no real interactive possibilities. If you see what hardware is in the machines they could do a lot more with it than is now being done.

You are right, there is a lot of room to grow in the new LCD format. The RPG elements of pinball certainly would shine on an LCD. Now that the hardware has caught up its time to bring the software up to date. I know it's easy for me to say that this would work in a pinball format, but I really do think this is the big crossover opportunity that pinball needs. Yes, video games are popular because they are readily accessible, more accessible than physical pinball will ever be. However, those gamers get older, they get jobs, and they want something challenging that they can relate to. At some point the hardware will outgrow the software again and we will have augmented reality pinball gimmick similar to pinball 2k. But, until then, I'm looking forward to RPG elements in my future physical pinball machines.

Quoted from dmbjunky:

I'm secretly stashing the idea to make my own pin.

Don't keep those ideas all to yourself man!

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from s1500:

I'm thinking about future tech help threads on here
    "Skyrim pinball: dragon shooter won't ignite flame. plz help"
    I might have to buy that Fallout pinball tho.

Lionman Armor DLC Won't Install Plz Help

Funny you should mention the Fallout Pinball game. As positive as I am about Skyrim, Fallout has been a little lack luster for me. However, I think that has to do more with the layout than anything. I also have not played it nearly as much. There is something about that center shot and the positioning of the upper flipper that just doesn't feel right at all. However, the software is a very interesting implementation of RPG elements as well. I believe there is no persistence, its more rougelike. I want to get further into the game to see how that plays out.

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

I'm a little stuck on Skyrim pinball. When I first started playing, there was a dragon quest where a dragon breathed fire everywhere, and I had to make a number of shots without hitting the fire. Now, every time, I have to find a stone by making a number of shots, killing a bandit, hitting the bumpers, killing a spider, . . . . then I drain. I haven't gotten past it. Am I stuck here because there is one main quest that is saved with your character? Until I complete this, I won't see the next stage, is that right?
    If so, it is unique idea, but I'm not sure how I feel about it. Many of my games seem kind of repetitive because I'm stuck. It does make pinball feel more like an epic video game where you keep trying that level over and over and over again until you finally beat it and go on to the next level. But, I'm not sure that aspect would transfer to a real pinball machine.

So from my experience, the main quest line is linear so you do have to complete the same objectives to progress. However, what I did was start side quests and level my character to make the main quest line easier much like you would do in a regular RPG when you are under-leveled. Try to avoid the main quest line and focus on leveling and loot for now. There is a lot to do outside the main quest line.

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

Ugh! Second time after building up my character and advancing through missions that I deleted it by accident. I play on the iPad and am very careful to press continue but something keeps messing up. This is ruining the experience for me.

Can you not have more than one character?

Quoted from boydsc331:

This doesn't have much to do with the subject except for I like Skyrim too. I never drop loot or sell loot , I just drop it on the floor in my house. lol

That is fantastic! I didn't know it would allow you to drop that much stuff on the floor and allow it to remain.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider glarrownage.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-would-skyrim-on-pinballfx-translate-to-real-pinball?tu=glarrownage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.