(Topic ID: 176184)

How Would Everyone Feel If Stern Was Gone?

By Dooskie

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 87 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by RyanStl
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

partytime (resized).jpg
2015-03-01-22-20-03-1 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider seshpilot.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#36 7 years ago

At its core Stern, like any other company, is a business: plain and simple. It's the hobbyist part of what they build that makes it confusing for many. Let me explain...

Personally, my career has been in the music business, which has always been mentally tough for me to pair up those two words (as opposed to a field like say "tax accounting" or "weapons manufacturing"). The word "music" is associated with something most of us greatly enjoy, consider entertainment, and that is done purely for the love of it. Many hobbyists are musicians. Awesome! Yet at a more professional level, "music" must be inextricably tied to the word "business" (which means that food and shelter must be generated from it). Right there, you have a bit of a tension to constantly manage: what is best for business isn't always best for the music; what is best for the music may not in fact be the most "commercially viable."

Similarly though, Stern has to walk the line in their "entertainment business." Things like getting their parts (i.e.: playfields) from a manufacturer who gives them the lowest price within suitable tolerance of turnaround and QC (this is just 1 of potentially 1,000s of tensions Stern has to manage). We as hobbyists need to stop being so surprised by cost-cutting or feature reduction or price increases or their new model of having 3 different versions. Gary Stern isn't a bad guy at all; he's also not the patron saint of pinball. Dude is a businessman that happens to make products that you and I deeply enjoy! I bet he's got a beautiful summer home with a nice boat. More power to him.

All that said, I DO think that Stern needs to seriously up their game as it relates to QC and customer service. I've read the horror stories and seen the pics. No, I don't think it's okay to ship a warped playfield with cracked clearcoat, BUT I also don't think they do this on purpose. Furthermore, from what I've seen, Stern has in fact been getting better at taking care of their customers with posts saying that Gary has called them personally, or Stern shipping out a brand new playfield that only takes 15 minutes to install, etc... Furthermore, they're clearly listening to their constituency as it relates to gameplay (compare "24" to "MET" or "GB"), artwork (same comparison), and feature inclusion (LCD over red dots).

I'm not a huge Stern fan (I currently own 1 Stern, and that's a Nine Ball. Even that game is technically sold awaiting pickup!), but I do think we as hobbyists need the keep the "business" side of this thing in check: if Gary and co can raise their price of their games and they continue to sell, more power to them. If not, then the market will not bear it and we may very well see the "Blockbuster" of pinball. There's plenty of games out there for us to play if we don't like the price increase. If they sell out, they sell out (Gottlieb did it like 8 times!). If they prevail, they prevail. In the meantime, let's enjoy our hobby and keep flipping!

#74 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'd be sad. Like a part of me died.

Curious, as you were around when Williams closed, what was that like?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 169.00
Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
St. Louis, MO
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Boards
Troxel Repair

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider seshpilot.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-would-everyone-feel-if-stern-was-gone?tu=seshpilot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.