(Topic ID: 176184)

How Would Everyone Feel If Stern Was Gone?

By Dooskie

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 87 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by RyanStl
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

partytime (resized).jpg
2015-03-01-22-20-03-1 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dooskie.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I read sooooo many negative things about Stern on Pinside, mainly about their quality control issues and their prices. I have only bought one NIB machine, a Star Trek Pro, and I guess I just got lucky (knock on wood). The only thing that was wrong with it was a playfield light that was loose. And now a year later, I've put 3,500 games on it and all I've done is clean the playfield every week or two. I couldn't be happier. That being said, with all of the problems that I've read about, I don't know if I'd buy another one.

So I'm curious, would everyone rather just see Stern close up its doors and go away, rather than working through the quality control issues and the price increases? I know there are other companies that are making very nice machines, but it doesn't look like they have the infrastructure in place to produce nearly enough machines to keep up with the current demand, which in turn would only lead to even higher prices.

Do you think pinball would be better off without Stern, given the current climate and feelings towards the company?

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

No

Seriously? Of course not.

I agree with you. However, with all of the negativity towards the company, everyone that is going to 'speak with their wallets' and not buy any more pins from them, it makes you wonder how the community really feels about the company.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Dude, you start the worst threads
Change your name to Dookie

If you don't like them, then don't read them.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

This is just such a dumb thread. Nobody has ever said that they want stern gone. People just want everyone to stop buying from stern until the lost profits cause the to produce better quality and stop price gouging, go back to the price structure when metallica came out. They were still making good money on them then.

Metallica came out in 2013. We're within a couple of weeks of 2017. What in this world costs the same now as it did in 2017? Employees expect raises. It costs more to run a business now than it did four years ago. Please explain how on earth they could sell games for the same price four years later and stay in business?

I get it that people are pissed that Stern has made it more difficult for people that flip games to make any money, by jacking up the prices on the LE's, etc. That's actually smart on their part. Someone there obviously noticed what was going on. I wonder how everyone would feel if they decided to open a division where they sold parts and toys, and decided to model that division after Amazon. Inexpensive parts, inexpensive toys, free shipping, and they run all of the smaller parts/toys businesses out of business. Amazon proved that price is king and there is very little loyalty when it comes to money.

#27 7 years ago

'Pick two' as the saying goes.

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from Jjsmooth:

So, you couldn't be happier...Except for what you read...Stop reading. Play your machine. Be happy.

But who can stop with just one machine? And if I didn't keep up with reading Pinside, I would never have known about all of the issues everyone was having with the bad playfields, etc. So while I'm happy with the ST Pro that I bought, I don't know that I'd be so willing to buy another NIB game. Seems risky right now, wouldn't you agree?

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

Pin prices shot way up, they did not go up with inflation or rising costs of employees or materials...not even close. Now were they saleing to cheap before?...possibly but now they are extremely overpriced IMO.
I don't mind that they raised prices to be more profitable which is to be expected but when you raise prices that screws all your customers then that is a recipe to piss people off..which has been done IMO. I however do not blame just Stern as they still offer a pro version which is by far the cheapest. A lot of people complain that the pro is scaled way back versions but a lot of people prefer the pro and argue over which is better.
MET, GOT, GB, as well as others are good value pro's and some believe the pro to be the better version of these games. Heck even the premium is still among the cheapest compared to the other companies.
Stern was shown they can raise prices by the other companies. I just wish they would have raised prices a bit to become more profitable but kept them more reasonable and their previous customer base happier. To me if prices were $4800, $5500, $6200, Stern would have raised prices quite a bit but kept most people in the game that were previously in it. A lot of people that stuck with Stern before all the new blood showed up and caused prices to skyrocket are now priced out.

So if you were Stern, and you noticed there was quite a market for people to flip a NIB purchase, wouldn't you try to go after a piece of that? Other companies have certainly done that. eBay and Amazon both come to mind. I have no doubt they knew they would piss some people off in the process, and maybe lose a few customers along the way. But I'm also sure they balanced that against what their net gain would be. And if they get more pushback than what they planned for, they can drop the price back a hundred or two and the majority of the complaints will quickly subside.

#72 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Here's how I'm gonna feel when your putt puttin ass is gone :

I see you've lost weight since the last time I saw you. Way to go!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
St. Louis, MO
Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 169.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dooskie.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-would-everyone-feel-if-stern-was-gone?tu=dooskie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.