(Topic ID: 221074)

How Will The Next Economic Crash Affect The Pinball Industry?

By o-din

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 320 posts
  • 78 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by cottonm4
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

c7614b02079a86c16b7c109b5a805e4ce6fa9907 (resized).jpg
E72560AA-068A-40C8-B302-E391481AF50E (resized).jpeg
quote-what-goes-up-must-come-down-isaac-newton-45-58-80 (resized).jpg
Unknown (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2018-10-24 at 7.35.54 PM (resized).png
vfkuliskzle01 (resized).jpg
83a4c64d1e0d1fceed9e9d4cb5f71d13 (resized).jpg
82CBBEFB-E4B6-4278-9C85-CA41620F8837 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20180716-151431~2 (resized).png
2e4dip (resized).jpg
E900B3A1-4027-483A-B277-B743E2AB01B1 (resized).png
SCAN0068 (resized).JPG
1D36511C-B37A-404E-918E-865A4F938EA3 (resized).jpeg
4170266D-FC2B-4A50-AB83-4E54D5D2631B (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
SCAN0067 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CrazyLevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

So, the question is when the next crash hits, which could happen any day now, as history shows ten years of solid economic growth is usually the limit before something like this happens, will the pinball industry survive or be thriving like we haven't seen since the 1970s, or will it vanish into the night like so many over inflated 401k accounts? My guess is it will be somewhat close to the latter.

Excellent question! You never let me down.

I'd say that the next economic crash, which is sure to happen in the next 2-6 years for obvious but I-swear-not-political-reasons - ALL of the 40 or so current pinball companies will disappear with the exception of Stern. They are the only ones positioned to survive a lengthy economic downturn before they simply run out of cash or their rich and bored benefactors look for another hobby or have to tighten the purse strings as they transition from being super rich to merely rich.

Outside shot Spooky could survive, but I just don't know that a recession won't prune away enough buyers that boutique pinball is no longer feasible.

And don't get excited people, pinball prices won't drop, and people won't dump their $8,000 games for pennies on the dollar. Didn't happen last time around, won't happen this time. people just held on to their stuff and asking prices didn't budge.

But a full-on depression? Now you are talking!!!

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Just so you guys know where I'm coming from and it's not something crazy I didn't spend time thinking about and just made up out of nowhere. I rode the snail pace economy of the 70s when there were pinball machines everywhere and little pocket change so every replay and special counted.
I've also watched the economic rollercoaster ride ever since then.
Take a look at the graph I posted yesterday in the" economy on fire" thread and then ride with me front row POV on Goliath. One of the tallest rollercoasters I've ever been on. It's fun!

Wow! Things really turned around starting in 2009! I'm gonna go get me a hope hat!

This time will be different. Surely the coaster will just keep it's slow and steady climb to dizzying new heights.

#56 5 years ago
Quoted from Dooskie:

Hundreds of manufacturers? That seems like a lot. You must have a list or some sort of data base of manufacturers from then. Could you post that for me? I'm interested to see who all of those manufacturers were. Thanks in advance!

You are gonna have to produce proof that you own that DE King Kong before we can fulfil any requests.

Why did you spin that whopper anyway? The motivation was never clear.

#63 5 years ago

Oh brother don’t get me started about taxes!!!!

They really suck, am I right guys?!?!

#70 5 years ago
Quoted from Gunnut40:

It's already here...y'all just can't see it yet.

This is the kind of dark foreboding I come to threads for.

I’m gonna spend the weekend stocking up on guns and MREs!

Quoted from cottonm4:

Coin op in the Great Depression: As LTG noted, coin-op did good in the bad times. There were no jobs (well, that is not true. If unemployment is 25% that means 75% are working) so if you were broke and down to your last nickel and bored you------fed a pinball machine.
The founder of the Holiday Inn motel chain got his start during the depression with pinball machines.
(Google search is wonderful)
https://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/14/business/kemmons-wilson-90-dies-was-holiday-inn-founder.html
" He dropped out of high school at 17 and borrowed $50 from a friend to buy a popcorn machine in a local theater. But the manager got rid of him for making more money than he did.
" From popcorn, he switched to the pinball machine business and used his first profits to pay for a house for his mother. He built the house, saving $1,700, by doing the work himself. He then mortgaged his house, which had cost him $2,700, for $6,500 and bought a jukebox business. Other ventures, from an ice cream parlor to home building, quickly followed.

80 years later things have changed.
A full on depression, people
Aren’t gonna leave the house for cheap entertainment. They’ll just stay home with all their cheap entertainment.

#88 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

That depends on who you are around here. Some people can say anything that they want and its ok, while others say nothing and get in trouble.

Everybody FEELS that way but I guarantee it’s bullshit. I’m sure Odin feels like he’s the only one who gets moderated. So do you. So do I.

You want to talk shit or constantly see how much politics you can talk and get away with it? That doesn’t sound a little like you?

Sometimes you’ll get moderated sometimes you’ll get away with it.

That’s life in the fast lane buddy!

#103 5 years ago

You guys you used to get your ass smacked red by nuns and teachers and you miss it?

Pity the CL personals got shut down you could have relived those days on demand.

#115 5 years ago

This thread has taken an interesting turn.

#121 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Well, it's too hot outside to go tend to my burned up avocado trees, so we might as well sit inside this nice air conditioned house and pass the time while we wait for the stock market to crash.

All I know is somehow my niece and nephew turned out to be absolutely fantastic kids and nobody had to beat the shit out of them for this to happen.

Guess they are just lucky!

#125 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

It’s definitely not the same world that i grew up in. I could go on and on but no need to. You know it and i know it and everybody here knows it.

Today is different than when you grew up decades ago?

Yes. I’ll concede you are right.

The rest of the stuff is mostly the same kind of rantings old men were saying about your generation when you were a kid.

You know it and I know and maybe like 2 or 3 other people here know it. Everyone else is just a ranting old man and doesn’t get it.

Now git. Off. My. LAWN! Trust me, I find myself whining about the 20-somethings at work and I’m horrified to realize I’m close to turning into my grandpa. I’m somehwere between him and my dad at this point.

It’s the circle of life and there’s absolutely nothing we can do about it. Liked seriously I work with two 29-year olds. One sucks and the other is awesome. And whenever the shitty one does something shitty my first involuntary reaction is to start an inner monologue about how much millennials suck!!!

But what about the good one? Maybe the dipshit is just a dipshit and it’s not because he was born in the 80s?

#127 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

My nephew was top of his class at Emery and is now sitting on wall street living in Manhattan making the big bucks. Not bad for 25 years old.
"Don't you miss living in So Cal surfing?' "Yep, but by the time I'm done here I'll be buying my own beach"

Sounds like a good kid. How is it possible you know a decent person under the age of 40?! They are all lazy and selfish and addicted to their cell phone!!!

Now gimme a second I gotta post something on my cell phone...

#129 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That's funny!
All these kids have to do is look at me or my daughter's mother to know they better get a college education.
There are no short cuts now. Gone are the days when a mechanic, construction , or grocery clerk job can do any more that just get you by. But when they did, we had a lot of fun.

And that’s REALLY what sucks.

#164 5 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

To be fair, at that age you are probably more concerned with finding affordable lodging and building your career rather than dropping $7k on a toy.

People have been saying "in 20 years when you guys all get old these things will be worthless" for AT LEAST 16 years. I know cause that's what I l kept hearing when I started in the hobby 16 years ago and people were bitching about $3500 MMs.

So...only 4 years to go you'll be picking up AFMs on the sidewalk out be the dumpster for free.

I'm so glad!

#181 5 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Bill Maher said he hopes there’s a recession soon. Great guy.

LOL that came out of nowhere.

Please allow me to complain about Fox News for no reason in particular...

#186 5 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Wishing for a recession when people in his fan base live paycheck to paycheck seems a little bad to me. But hey who cares about common sense.

Does suggesting people who live paycheck to paycheck waste $40 a month on HBO make any common sense?

Is it common sense to bring up Bill Maher for ABSOLUTELY NO REASON AT ALL in the context of a patented completely-non-political Pinside economy thread?

And does common sense dictate that an atheist's "wishes" on the economy will have any effect?

SO MANY QUESTIONS!

#194 5 years ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

10,000 Rubles = $157.18 American

Some people can obviously be bought and owned CHEAP.

#200 5 years ago
Quoted from fisherdaman:

were all just hoping this nightmare ends real soon.

I’m on board with that.

4 months later
#232 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Another harsh day on Wall Street. This up and down yo-yoing lately can't be a good sign.

Are you suggesting...

The Bubble may burst?!?!?!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CrazyLevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-will-the-next-economic-crash-affect-the-pinball-industry?tu=CrazyLevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.