(Topic ID: 221074)

How Will The Next Economic Crash Affect The Pinball Industry?

By o-din

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 320 posts
  • 78 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by cottonm4
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

c7614b02079a86c16b7c109b5a805e4ce6fa9907 (resized).jpg
E72560AA-068A-40C8-B302-E391481AF50E (resized).jpeg
quote-what-goes-up-must-come-down-isaac-newton-45-58-80 (resized).jpg
Unknown (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2018-10-24 at 7.35.54 PM (resized).png
vfkuliskzle01 (resized).jpg
83a4c64d1e0d1fceed9e9d4cb5f71d13 (resized).jpg
82CBBEFB-E4B6-4278-9C85-CA41620F8837 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20180716-151431~2 (resized).png
2e4dip (resized).jpg
E900B3A1-4027-483A-B277-B743E2AB01B1 (resized).png
SCAN0068 (resized).JPG
1D36511C-B37A-404E-918E-865A4F938EA3 (resized).jpeg
4170266D-FC2B-4A50-AB83-4E54D5D2631B (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
SCAN0067 (resized).JPG
There are 320 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.
#301 4 years ago

I wouldn’t even consider buying a NIB machine now. Stocks and 401ks are decimated, and the value of everyone’s home is about to be corrected. When we are at 15% unemployment is when the pinball market will take a major hit.

#302 4 years ago

There seems to be a consensus building that pinball prices are going down and availability of machines up.
Not sure, the Hoarder Spirit is strong, watch the show, those folks don't want nothing to leave.

#303 4 years ago

Already seeing it. Seeing prices we haven't seen in multiple years as people are clearing out their collections. It's just the beginning. The longer this event happens and the more impact it has, the more you will see. Sure there are likely to be plenty of people in the position to buy, but it will be less and for less.

I had to strongly reign myself in from jumping on multiple deals that popped up yesterday near me, and I'm likely to not be impacted by this for some time if at all...

#304 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Already seeing it. Seeing prices we haven't seen in multiple years as people are clearing out their collections. It's just the beginning. The longer this event happens and the more impact it has, the more you will see. Sure there are likely to be plenty of people in the position to buy, but it will be less and for less.
I had to strongly reign myself in from jumping on multiple deals that popped up yesterday near me, and I'm likely to not be impacted by this for some time if at all...

Yeah, my wife is still working full-time with no end-in-sight, and my main income comes from the VA, so we're not really gonna feel the financial impact ourselves. So I could definitely see a new machine in our house soon. Need something to do while we're mostly stuck inside.

#305 4 years ago

Hopefully, the next economic crash doesn't make me fat again.

c7614b02079a86c16b7c109b5a805e4ce6fa9907 (resized).jpgc7614b02079a86c16b7c109b5a805e4ce6fa9907 (resized).jpg
#306 4 years ago

Unfortunately a lot of the upcoming machines for sale related to this recent fiasco is because they will HAVE TO not because they WANT TO. Even more unfortunate, looking at the big picture, the deals will probably be on machines made in the last decade or so that are on locations that are closed. This could cause demand to drop significantly for those manufacturers that are still open and could cripple sales for NIB.

Hopefully bars/restaurants/ entertainment venues will survive all this in the long haul but it's a reality not all will. For those locations that have 1 or 2 newer games (or more) it might be time for those machines to go. I still say it's too soon to speculate all the aftermath. Right now it's important to support those business by ordering takeout food if that's an option for that business. That way the location can at least survive. Hopefully the operator of the games inside will too. As someone who used to have a dozen locations or so, I'm not envious of those folks right now and wishing them the best.

#307 4 years ago

People will post games at normal/old prices
But the games will take longer to sell.
People with money will not be buying.
people forced to sell will be accepting the best offer they can get. I don’t think the asking prices will show the true discount the games will eventually sell at. Sellers will be embarrassed to post games at 30% below avg sale prices. I am sure this is happening already. If your considering selling, list your games now before then supply goes up 5-10 fold.

#308 4 years ago

yes prices are already dropping,no way around it..also i think we will see many more project games up for sale first.

#309 4 years ago

People seem to forget that North America is 1-21 days from Italian style lock down. Start reading if you now if you don't know what that means.

Pins will not be sold b/c they cannot be inspected, traded or moved.

#310 4 years ago

#311 4 years ago

yes not to many deals being made today...in 2-6 months...many

#312 4 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

Unfortunately a lot of the upcoming machines for sale related to this recent fiasco is because they will HAVE TO not because they WANT TO. Even more unfortunate, looking at the big picture, the deals will probably be on machines made in the last decade or so that are on locations that are closed. This could cause demand to drop significantly for those manufacturers that are still open and could cripple sales for NIB.
Hopefully bars/restaurants/ entertainment venues will survive all this in the long haul but it's a reality not all will. For those locations that have 1 or 2 newer games (or more) it might be time for those machines to go. I still say it's too soon to speculate all the aftermath. Right now it's important to support those business by ordering takeout food if that's an option for that business. That way the location can at least survive. Hopefully the operator of the games inside will too. As someone who used to have a dozen locations or so, I'm not envious of those folks right now and wishing them the best.

Hopefully they will survive, But after a virus outbreak would you want to go back to touching germ infested machines?

#313 4 years ago
Quoted from CanadianPinball:

People seem to forget that North America is 1-21 days from Italian style lock down. Start reading if you now if you don't know what that means.
Pins will not be sold b/c they cannot be inspected, traded or moved.

I think of the miles I drove to put together my small collection. There are a couple more I would like to have, but distance and ability to travel would be key. And if it gets really bad, the highways may be locked down and not be passable. So---no deal.

#314 4 years ago
Quoted from Brtlkat:

Hopefully they will survive, But after a virus outbreak would you want to go back to touching germ infested machines?

Sure. They can be cleaned. Set them in sun for a couple of hours. Get some Lysol. Wipe them down. The virus does not live forever.

#315 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Sure. They can be cleaned. Set them in sun for a couple of hours. Get some Lysol. Wipe them down. The virus does not live forever.

the fear of all this will last much longer than the virus

#316 4 years ago
Quoted from belairjoe:

the fear of all this will last much longer than the virus

Yes they can be cleaned great,, But Yes this will always be in the back of peoples mind when touching anything in public and if it can be avoided it will be.

#317 4 years ago
Quoted from Brtlkat:

Yes they can be cleaned great,, But Yes this will always be in the back of peoples mind when touching anything in public and if it can be avoided it will be.

Once this virus passes and people are not getting sick and/or dying, the survivors will not forget about it. But it will be in the past and most are not going to let the past rule their lives.

When it is over (The "when" is the big question) , people will put the masks away. They won't be carrying hand sanitizer. Life will go back to normal. And pinballs will be played.

#318 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Once this virus passes and people are not getting sick and/or dying, the survivors will not forget about it. But it will be in the past and most are not going to let the past rule their lives.
When it is over (The "when" is the big question) , people will put the masks away. They won't be carrying hand sanitizer. Life will go back to normal. And pinballs will be played.

We have carried hand sanitizer for years, This will not stop me from using it.

#319 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

+1 but at the rate these location games are currently being played you might not even have to go that far :/

Depending on what part of the country I'd be a little worried about melting things if sat in the sun for too long or maybe I'm just being overly cautious. Take the glass off first maybe.

#320 4 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

+1 but at the rate these location games are currently being played you might not even have to go that far :/
Depending on what part of the country I'd be a little worried about melting things if sat in the sun for too long or maybe I'm just being overly cautious. Take the glass off first maybe.

Good point. Glass off and flip the play field up. Maybe cover the flipped up play field with a blanket. You would not want to do it in the middle of summer at high noon. Early morning, maybe. You need sun. Not heat.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

There are 320 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-will-the-next-economic-crash-affect-the-pinball-industry/page/7?hl=dakotamike and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.