(Topic ID: 221074)

How Will The Next Economic Crash Affect The Pinball Industry?

By o-din

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 320 posts
  • 78 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by cottonm4
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

c7614b02079a86c16b7c109b5a805e4ce6fa9907 (resized).jpg
E72560AA-068A-40C8-B302-E391481AF50E (resized).jpeg
quote-what-goes-up-must-come-down-isaac-newton-45-58-80 (resized).jpg
Unknown (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2018-10-24 at 7.35.54 PM (resized).png
vfkuliskzle01 (resized).jpg
83a4c64d1e0d1fceed9e9d4cb5f71d13 (resized).jpg
82CBBEFB-E4B6-4278-9C85-CA41620F8837 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20180716-151431~2 (resized).png
2e4dip (resized).jpg
E900B3A1-4027-483A-B277-B743E2AB01B1 (resized).png
SCAN0068 (resized).JPG
1D36511C-B37A-404E-918E-865A4F938EA3 (resized).jpeg
4170266D-FC2B-4A50-AB83-4E54D5D2631B (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
SCAN0067 (resized).JPG
There are 320 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.
#201 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I’m on board with that.

Yeah we just spent 20 million on expanding one of our plants and the entire line is just sitting there unused. Luckily I'm an account manager so it doesn't impact me but all of the employees we hired to man that line are. It grinds my gears when I hear people say that this trade war isn't impacting anything yet.

#202 5 years ago
Quoted from fisherdaman:

Yeah we just spent 20 million on expanding one of our plants and the entire line is just sitting there unused. Luckily I'm an account manager so it doesn't impact me but all of the employees we hired to man that line are. It grinds my gears when I hear people say that this trade war isn't impacting anything yet.

I agree this could get really ugly. Right when I am doing the best I ever had in my field of work too. I’ll sell my wife before my pinball machines.

#203 5 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

I agree this could get really ugly. Right when I am doing the best I ever had in my field of work too. I’ll sell my wife before my pinball machines.

LIAR!!

#204 5 years ago

I’ll sell my wife before my pinball machines.

A true pinball fan with his priorities in order.

My hats off to you sir.

LTG : )

#205 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

My hats off to you sir.

Hes lying. His wife is awesome and he couldn't live without her. Liar liar pants on fire trust me!

#206 5 years ago

Wow. I'm guessing that's a joke, but if not, that's a shame. Pins would be the first thing to go in my house.

#207 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

My hats off to you sir.

83a4c64d1e0d1fceed9e9d4cb5f71d13 (resized).jpg83a4c64d1e0d1fceed9e9d4cb5f71d13 (resized).jpg
#208 5 years ago

Oh snap i think o-din just leaked Stern's next title!

#209 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Oh snap i think o-din just leaked Stern's next title!

It's either that or according to today's rumor, some other dinosaur.

#210 5 years ago
Quoted from Gunnut40:

They say cars are the first thing to slow down. Guess what the car parts are slowing down. Get ready!

I'm pretty sure the "Unofficial Barometer" that's widely used is coffee. When coffee shops slow down, that's the very beginning of a recession. I'm not sure if you meant "Car Parts" or "Car Sales", but when car PARTS slow down, that actually means things are doing very well. Theory is, that when bad times come, you're afraid to commit to a new car, so you'll tend to keep 'ol Betsey going by replacing parts.

#211 5 years ago
Quoted from CubeSnake:

Theory is, that when bad times come, you're afraid to commit to a new car, so you'll tend to keep 'ol Betsey going by replacing parts.

That's exactly the truth. Early 90s I worked at a new car dealer, and it was the used car department that was on fire. And I was the guy prepping them. The other techs had endless amounts of work.

Of course in the 80s when the economy was on fire it didn't matter as new cars were such pieces of junk, mechanics had plenty of work anyway.

Good economy, bad economy, it never put me out of work unless I wanted to be.

I like to see the economy in the tank though, as that seems to be the best time for me.

#212 5 years ago

When coffee shops slow down, that's the very beginning of a recession.

June 18, 2018 "Starbucks Is Set To Close 150 Stores Across The Country
That’s up from the around 50 stores that usually close each year."

#213 5 years ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

2008 was different whole banking system almost collapsed. Do you think bank insurance could have covered that? Would have been lucky .10 on the dollar maybe?
People just don't know how close it came.

If you think about the rate at which higher paying jobs are disappearing from this country, I think I saw an article a month or so ago that said something like 80% of the jobs or more in the country are $20 or less an hour now, and factor that in to the next down turn, it only makes me think that the shocks will come harder and faster as time goes on. Each shock with less "recovery" than before. I'm going to guess that there aren't may people who make $20 or less buying pinball, that don't still live at mom and dads house. Before I'm dead, I fully expect the US to be a certified 3rd world country.

#214 5 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

When coffee shops slow down, that's the very beginning of a recession.
June 18, 2018 "Starbucks Is Set To Close 150 Stores Across The Country
That’s up from the around 50 stores that usually close each year."

Lots of times it has to do with greedy landlords renting space at airports, highway/toll road service centers etc.

#215 5 years ago
vfkuliskzle01 (resized).jpgvfkuliskzle01 (resized).jpg
#216 5 years ago
Quoted from CubeSnake:

I'm pretty sure the "Unofficial Barometer" that's widely used is coffee. When coffee shops slow down, that's the very beginning of a recession. I'm not sure if you meant "Car Parts" or "Car Sales", but when car PARTS slow down, that actually means things are doing very well. Theory is, that when bad times come, you're afraid to commit to a new car, so you'll tend to keep 'ol Betsey going by replacing parts.

By car parts currently and used by ford, dodge and other major companies. Which is correct in saying "car sales". When you work 60 plus hours a week trying to supply these companies and go down to 40 or less hours. That means a dip at least.

2 months later
#217 5 years ago

The stock market had another unsettling day as the Dow dropped another 600+ points.

It is reassuring to know that many Beatles fans will be unaffected by this, as they are older and wise, and not in debt like many of the younger investors and have surely put aside enough money to finance their dream pinball machine.

#218 5 years ago

Many of them are wise enough to know that pinball is not an investment tho. So, they likely aren’t buying either

#219 5 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

Many of them are wise enough to know that pinball is not an investment tho. So, they likely aren’t buying either

True, but with their houses long paid off and other debts out of the way, not to mention great company pension and retirement plans along with social security to supplement all that, and all kinds of other money now socked away, there is no worries to them what the stock market will do.

The one thing left is the longing to relive their flower child days when they truly were rebels.

#220 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

True, but with their houses long paid off and other debts out of the way, not to mention great company pension and retirement plans along with social security to supplement all that, and all kinds of other money now socked away, there is no worries to them what the stock market will do.
And the one thing left is the longing to relive their flower child days when they truly were rebels.

I have a short position on that I put on way too early. I have been waiting quite awhile to do some averaging down but I have learned the hard way to NEVER fight the Fed.

Interest rates are going up. We have seen the lows in interest rates. The Prez, is bitching about the Fed jacking rates and screwing up his economy. The trouble for The Prez is if the Fed does not get in front inflation and raise rates, the market will take care of that and kneecap the bond market. The last thing the Fed wants to be doing is following the market.

For years, the govt. has been telling us inflation is not a problem. But I never ha e believed that. Every time I go to the grocery store another package has gotten smaller and the price stays the same. Drop your the size of your box 25% but leave the price the same that is a 33% price increase anyway you cut it.

The Fed has managed to bail out all of the underwater homeowners from 10 years ago. Wages are finally moving up. All the signs are starting to point to the market's unprecedented 10 year run talking a break.

I am of the opinion that The Prez's first two years in office are the best he will be seeing for awhile. He did the the Presidential market cycle ass backwards.

How with it affect the pinball market? Depends on how leveraged up some of these pinball buyers are. I am one of the retirees with a paid off mortgage. I won't be selling my pins but I may find out that I overpaid for them and hope I can scratch enough cash to pick up some screaming distress sales if they come up. My problem is that my little house if chock full of pins and I really cannot be a buyer and I am not willing to take on a mortgage just so I can accumulate more pinball machines.

#221 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Interest rates are going up. We have seen the lows in interest rates.

I'd like to see the kind of interest rates we haven't seen since the 70s. That'll fix everybody that thinks it's a good idea to live on credit and be in debt.

A phenomenon that took off in the 80s, when the powers that be decided to mortgage decades of the future so they could have a few good years in the present and hopefully be looked back on with some kind of relevance. There was a famous retired actor that convinced a lot of people it was the right thing to do.

#222 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'd like to see the kind of interest rates we haven't seen since the 70s. That'll fix everybody that thinks it's a good idea to live on credit and be in debt.

Actually, I think you are referring to the early 80s when The Fed under Volker boosted rates up to 22%. 30 year bonds were paying 18%. This goes to the case of "if I knew then what I know now" I would have loaded all my IRA money in 18% government bonds. Start with 10,000.00, load up the IRA with $10,000.00 and 30 years later you would have 1.5 million in your IRA. With no worries about the ups and downs of the stock market.

Screen Shot 2018-10-24 at 7.35.54 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-10-24 at 7.35.54 PM (resized).png

https://www.valuepenguin.com/mortgages/historical-mortgage-rates#nogo

#223 5 years ago

I was shocked when I heard what interest rates on homes used to be at in the 80’s, your right O-din! None of my friends ever had interest rates in the double digits... I think the highest I can remember was around 8%

#224 5 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

I was shocked when I heard what interest rates on homes used to be at in the 80’s, your right O-din! None of my friends ever had interest rates in the double digits... I think the highest I can remember was around 8%

I bought my house in 1979 and paid 10% interest for several years. Then the government came out with a "streamline" refinance package that allowed me to get it down to around 6%-7%. In 1995, I had some extra cash and paid it off. The financial pundits would tell me I would have been better off to "keep that money working" but dumping the mortgage was the best thing I ever did. A paid for house, and a cheap, reliable old car met that I always slept good at night and had money in the bank. You cannot put a price on peace or mind.

#225 5 years ago

Yes , high interest bonds are a great place to have your money.

Unfortunately, ever since then interest rates have been kept low as an incentive to keep people spending what they don't have and punishment for those that would save their money in a safe account or even a long term bond. Probably a result of the pumped up economics that were manufactured in the 80s and the long term consequences of that. All to avert disaster and to keep things chugging along.

Meanwhile the debt has grown to astronomical figures as the spending continues. That bill is coming due.

#226 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Meanwhile the debt has grown to astronomical figures as the spending continues. That bill is coming due.

Whistling past the graveyard applies here. But you keep your hands off of my Medicare.

#227 5 years ago

Yes, I meant that bill is long overdue.

They won't be screwing old people out of their social security or medicare.

There will still be plenty of younger people in the work force to foot that bill like there always been. And if more is needed, they will get charged accordingly. That's the least of my worries.

Plus, you don't think they want these kind of angry mobs to deal with, do you?
Unknown (resized).jpgUnknown (resized).jpg

#228 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Unfortunately, ever since then interest rates have been kept low as an incentive to keep people spending what they don't have and punishment for those that would save their money in a safe account or even a long term bond. Probably a result of the pumped up economics that were manufactured in the 80s and the long term consequences of that. All to avert disaster and to keep things chugging along.

This last crisis, The Great Recession, all came about due to Wall Street shenanigans with the mortgage backed securities. Since the local banks could palm off their crappy loans to Wall Street, which "repackaged" the crappy loans with a few good loans and then foisted them and the risk off on the public the banks could go for another round only the next time the loans were even crappier since the local bank could keep the profits and sell off the risk to Wall Street who would repackage another tranche of crappy loans. It worked until it didn't.

Every politician out there is/was in bed with Wall Street.

The Great Depression in the 1930s in an interesting study. How we got there, etc. But two of the things that made a bad situation worse and brought on the Great Depression were the trade barriers that were set up; And interest rates were jacked up.

Country A set up a trade barrier to "protect" its markets and Country B would do likewise. Now, your markets for you to sell to collapse.

The second item that brought on The Great Depression was that The Fed raised interest rates. So, just the time business needed some government help, business could not get capital to operate with.

Ben Bernanke, or Helicopter Ben, as he was called, had studied The Great Depression and knew what rising interest rates brought on. So, Uncle Ben took rates down to zero. I am of the opinion that we would have had in much worse in 2008-2009 had he not dropped rates to the floor.

And what pisses me off the most is that the Wall Street icons got all of these hand slapping free rides for the BS they caused and, as you noted, I can't make any interest money on my savings. But that was Uncle Ben, and Janet Yellen, keeping those rates down so the only way to play the money game is stocks.

It is all kicking the can down the road. I agree. Wall Street needs to get over itself and rates need to normalize. But a lot of companies have larded up in the last 10 years with easy money. They are going to feel some pain.

#229 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Ben Bernanke, or Helicopter Ben, as he was called, had studied The Great Depression and knew what rising interest rates brought on. So, Uncle Ben took rates down to zero. I am of the opinion that we would have had in much worse in 2008-2009 had he not dropped rates to the floor.

True, but at the same time the already low interest rates prior to the meltdown and easy credit allowed people that otherwise had no business doing or means to otherwise do so, buy houses and it turned into a feeding frenzy, driving up the prices and depleting the market at a much higher than usual rate. A lot of it then turned to get rich quick schemes, as house flipping by those that had the means to do so became big business.

Everything else you stated like keeping interest rates down so the only way to make money was to invest in stocks and then trade barriers were set up and interest rates began to rise, were primary things that brought on the great depression, sounds like history is repeating itself or about to repeat itself again. Which it usually does, sooner or later.

The way they run things and manipulate the economy and the overall greed involved, it won't surprise me one bit when it all comes crashing down again as it has become human nature and business as usual to borrow from the future to get fat and prosperous today.

1 month later
#230 5 years ago

Another harsh day on Wall Street. This up and down yo-yoing lately can't be a good sign.

#231 5 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

I'm at a fixed rate 2.625%... it's brutal man!

#232 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Another harsh day on Wall Street. This up and down yo-yoing lately can't be a good sign.

Are you suggesting...

The Bubble may burst?!?!?!

#233 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Are you suggesting...

The Bubble may burst?!?!?!

I honestly don't know what's going on.

Usually in the past when panic sets in it just snowballs from there. I guess we are not quite to the panic stage yet .

#234 5 years ago

I’m thinking people are realizing that everything always bounces back. If your not retiring in the next decade wait out the storm. I’m hoping for a crash. People are getting greedy with their valuation of things...

#235 5 years ago
quote-what-goes-up-must-come-down-isaac-newton-45-58-80 (resized).jpgquote-what-goes-up-must-come-down-isaac-newton-45-58-80 (resized).jpg
#236 5 years ago

The goal is to die with the most debt.

Google Home told me average household debt in the U.S. is around $130K.

#237 5 years ago
Quoted from okayestpinballer:

The goal is to die with the most debt.
Google Home told me average household debt in the U.S. is around $130K.

Including mortgage? That seems low including mortgages, but high without them.

#238 5 years ago

This is why Joe Public always gets destroyed in the market on their own. They let their emotions of fear and greed dictate how they invest.

Why has Warren Buffet averaged almost 20% for the last 40 yrs? Read a few books about his methodology. Actually since 1965 the S&P has averaged 9.7% while Buffet has returned 20.8% annually during the same time period.

Bonds are a terrible investment in a rising rate environment and on pace for one of the worst years in history.

You can buy things like PSA (Public Storage), green today and an excellent dividend, WM (Waste Management) another excellent dividend and well run company. Btw, trash is going away. MKC (McCormick spices) also green today, nice dividend etc. TJX (Home Goods, TJ Max, Marshalls etc.) Dividend and same store sale increasing for the last decade year over year. Walk into one of those stores right now.

That's just to name a few.

Buy great companies when they go on sale and others are in panic mode. That's how you accumulate long term wealth. It's a marathon, NOT a sprint!

#239 5 years ago

And btw, a flattening yield curve of 2's-10's treasuries have predicted a recession 9 out of the last 10 times, the question is when?

Educate yourself and choose wisely.

#240 5 years ago
E72560AA-068A-40C8-B302-E391481AF50E (resized).jpegE72560AA-068A-40C8-B302-E391481AF50E (resized).jpeg
#241 5 years ago

Wouldnt today have been affected by the inverted rate on t bills?

#242 5 years ago
Quoted from Phat_Jay:

[quoted image]

And General Electric.

#243 5 years ago

The economy will have its ups and downs. I used to consider my collection as somewhat of an investment. Now I see it in relative terms. I love the machines and may make or lose a buck, but I'm in no rush. I'll either get burried in one and leave the rest behind or sell them when I at least get most of what I paid back.

The true issue is not the economy though if you're concerned about value. It's saturation. When I started collecting, every single pin in my area that was posted for sale online was gone in 30 mins or less, gouging prices included. Now I see a variety of choices online at any given day, even great classic titles for similar pricing as the last two years or so. I am now often seeing lower prices.

I prefer 90s DMD games, and when I inquire why pinheads are selling them, it is almost always to finance the newest NIB. This can only happen so many times as the statistical purchasing is outpacing the growth of the consumer base. What happens when all of the upper middle guys have 10 Sterns in their gameroom and they all want the newest?

My take is that there are just too many pinball machines, period. The overall collector market value will continue to go down with each new title, especially good titles. When the older generation of collectors die off, say in 40 years, these will be worth peanuts simply because there are so many. I'll bet my collection on that one.

#244 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

When the older generation of collectors die off, say in 40 years, these will be worth peanuts simply because there are so many. I'll bet my collection on that one.

I think you are being optimistic with the 40 years. I don't know what you consider as an older collector, so say if 40 is old then how many 40 year olds are going to live until 80?

I think there more than a few of us here who are over 50. Let's remain with 80 as the upper age limit ( I was talking with someone a couple of years ago who was selling a Volcano. He was 80 ). Now you are at 30 years until mass liquidation.

Some of us are over 60. Staying with 80, now liquidation is 20 years out.

I'm 66 and have spent the last 3 years chasing the pins that caught my fancy. Somewhere between the it-will-never-happen-to-me-18-year-old-attitude and my current age, I started awakening to my own mortality. I figure if I live to 80 then I am lucky. That is 14 years away.

I have not figured out how I want to play the actuarial odds. Do I want to hold my pins to the bitter end and then you all will be seeing them in an estate sale? Or do I want go "proactive" and start selling off in the next 5-6 years? I can't answer that, yet. I do have a couple of pinballers who are thinking ahead and have asked for dibs

I think your rotation will start happening in the next 10 years. It will be a rolling wave.

#245 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I think you are being optimistic with the 40 years. I don't know what you consider as an older collector, so say if 40 is old then how many 40 year olds are going to live until 80?
I think there more than a few of us here who are over 50. Let's remain with 80 as the upper age limit ( I was talking with someone a couple of years ago who was selling a Volcano. He was 80 ). Now you are at 30 years until mass liquidation.
Some of us are over 60. Staying with 80, now liquidation is 20 years out.
I'm 66 and have spent the last 3 years chasing the pins that caught my fancy. Somewhere between the it-will-never-happen-to-me-18-year-old-attitude and my current age, I started awakening to my own mortality. I figure if I live to 80 then I am lucky. That is 14 years away.
I have not figured out how I want to play the actuarial odds. Do I want to hold my pins to the bitter end and then you all will be seeing them in an estate sale? Or do I want go "proactive" and start selling off in the next 5-6 years? I can't answer that, yet. I do have a couple of pinballers who are thinking ahead and have asked for dibs
I think your rotation will start happening in the next 10 years. It will be a rolling wave.

I totally agree. My number was pretty conservative, but it is going to take a while for the prices to truly tank to peanuts levels, like a TZ for $500 or less. Most of the current pin comunity will need to be out of the market, but I truly believe that low value is coming.

#246 5 years ago

You guys ever zoom out and think about what earth will look like in a few million years. They say humans will have been watered down to basically one race with big eyes and opaque skin...

Would sterns wood even last that long?

#247 5 years ago

Time and Mortality....
This needs at least a few drinks to start!

Pinballs future???? The economy????
I feel we are in the peak decade...dont know
when it degrades...

#248 5 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

You guys ever zoom out and think about what earth will look like in a few million years. They say humans will have been watered down to basically one race with big eyes and opaque skin...

At the rate we're going, the human race will be lucky to survive another 50 years. If that.

#249 5 years ago

If an economic crash occurs in 2019 its simple, Hey, I need 5000 dollars cash quick. (Looking around). I know, sell the pinball machine! (or two,or three).
Approximately 1900 people are thinking,and doing the same thing.
For the rich money no object Owner. Wow, price is dropping on my investment,perhaps I should liquidate while I can, otherwise I could be stuck on hold for 3-plus years and end up with old machines with less value. Time to sell.
For the Manufacturer. Cut back the order for raw materials and use up what we have, also,it may be time to lay off Charlie and 4 others, for now. Offer a Buyers incentive program.
For the Operator. No, sorry,not looking to buy anything else right now, its a ghost town in here. I dropped to 50 cents a game or 6 dollars all night, as well as offered lower beer prices, the Customers just aren't coming.
For the Collector. If I wait, it will go down more. I'm offering bottom dollar, cash is hard to come by.

#250 5 years ago

Did the economy crash again?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

There are 320 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-will-the-next-economic-crash-affect-the-pinball-industry/page/5?hl=phat_jay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.