(Topic ID: 221074)

How Will The Next Economic Crash Affect The Pinball Industry?

By o-din

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 320 posts
  • 78 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by cottonm4
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

c7614b02079a86c16b7c109b5a805e4ce6fa9907 (resized).jpg
E72560AA-068A-40C8-B302-E391481AF50E (resized).jpeg
quote-what-goes-up-must-come-down-isaac-newton-45-58-80 (resized).jpg
Unknown (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2018-10-24 at 7.35.54 PM (resized).png
vfkuliskzle01 (resized).jpg
83a4c64d1e0d1fceed9e9d4cb5f71d13 (resized).jpg
82CBBEFB-E4B6-4278-9C85-CA41620F8837 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20180716-151431~2 (resized).png
2e4dip (resized).jpg
E900B3A1-4027-483A-B277-B743E2AB01B1 (resized).png
SCAN0068 (resized).JPG
1D36511C-B37A-404E-918E-865A4F938EA3 (resized).jpeg
4170266D-FC2B-4A50-AB83-4E54D5D2631B (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
SCAN0067 (resized).JPG
There are 320 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.
#101 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

What do you guys think ended up with more dimples at St Catherine's military school, this hardwood paddle, or my bare ass?

The paddle we got had little holes in it for extra effect!

Ahhh the good old days.

#102 5 years ago

I remember that thing, but mine wasn't as fancy and had 1/2 inch or maybe larger holes in the paddle and was wrapped in electrical tape no fancy finish. Maybe the holes helped get a better wack. Used to hate dropping my pants and grabbing my ankles. At least the first shot always hit the meat till I started to move then it was legs or back. Seems so crazy to think back to that time

#103 5 years ago

You guys you used to get your ass smacked red by nuns and teachers and you miss it?

Pity the CL personals got shut down you could have relived those days on demand.

#104 5 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

I remember that thing, but mine wasn't as fancy and had 1/2 inch or maybe larger holes in the paddle and was wrapped in electrical tape no fancy finish. Maybe the holes helped get a better wack. Used to hate dropping my pants and grabbing my ankles. At least the first shot always hit the meat till I started to move then it was legs or back. Seems so crazy to think back to that time

I know those those types of paddles. But nothing stings like a ping pong paddle on gym shorts.

#105 5 years ago

don't worry, we will see some little dips but nothing serious
next crash will be in about 30 years

most of us old geezers be dead by then

and the rest is leaving for mars or some weird number named planet

#106 5 years ago

Wood paddles at school and hot wheel track with the little connector thing left in it at home.

That's what's missing with kids today, good old fashioned painful discipline. Quite a few of the grown ups could use it too.

#107 5 years ago

“Thank you sir may I have another”

#108 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

What do you guys think ended up with more dimples at St Catherine's military school, this hardwood paddle, or my bare ass?

No question. After you graduated, they raised the price of tuition to cover a lot of broken paddles lost on your Chuck Norris butt.

LTG : )

#109 5 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

And thats why most of us older guys didn't grow up to be morons also, because we got are asses beat when we effed up or smarted off.

#110 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You guys you used to get your ass smacked red by nuns and teachers and you miss it?

They beat me more because I wasn't Catholic.

The real discipline came from the other students though as when you stepped out of line it was usually ten against one. And I wish I could find that one kid that kicked me in the jaw with his boot while the other ones held me down. It's never been the same since.

#111 5 years ago

Moms weapon of choice was the hair brush and she was fast and deadly with it. Somehow she always had it on her no matter where we were.

#112 5 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

Moms weapon of choice was the hair brush and she was fast and deadly with it. Somehow she always had it on her no matter where we were.

I bet you she used it often also on you Buzz lol. I bet o-dins mom had to bust his briches two or three times every day also.

#113 5 years ago

And of course Hollywood had to go and glorify my experience. Filmed at the school I went to before I was there. I did find Taps very entertaining though.

One thing I regret was I got out before the eighth grade as they got to use to underground rifle range which I hear is also no longer there.
CjHDGj5UUAAG7LI (resized).jpgCjHDGj5UUAAG7LI (resized).jpg

#114 5 years ago

It's true I did get beat a lot and got kicked out of every school in the district for fighting and made my poor parents have to pay for catholic school and those sisters didn't mess around. They would beat you and send you back to class

#115 5 years ago

This thread has taken an interesting turn.

#116 5 years ago

We may not be the greatest generation but we are definitely the toughest.

#117 5 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

It's true I did get beat a lot and got kicked out of every school in the district for fighting and made my poor parents have to pay for catholic school and those sisters didn't mess around.

It was bad economic times and I know my single teacher mom had to dig deep to put me there, but she was at her wits end with me making trouble at school where they didn't want me any more and fighting my brother all the time. He had problems of his own with hyperactivity and coordination, so I was the lucky one that got shipped off. I hear it's real expensive for the honor to go there now.

First thing the other kids asked "If you aren't a catholic, then what are you?" "Uh, protestant I think" Big mistake...

#118 5 years ago

My step mom who I was stuck with while my dad was away at work and was only home 4 days a month was a master of verbal abuse. Till my step brother stole my beer locked himself in the closet where I would pump my EMPTY 12 gauge and throw firecrackers under the door. That one got me free and kicked out. I should call and thank everyone for making me the wonderful man I am.

#119 5 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

My step mom who I was stuck with while my dad was away at work and was only home 4 days a month was a master of verbal abuse. Till my step brother stole my beer locked himself in the closet where I would pump my EMPTY 12 gauge and throw firecrackers under the door. That one got me free and kicked out. I should call and thank everyone for making me the wonderful man I am.

That’s awesome lol.......and i 100% believe that you did that too! Lmao

#120 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This thread has taken an interesting turn.

Well, it's too hot outside to go tend to my burned up avocado trees, so we might as well sit inside this nice air conditioned house and pass the time while we wait for the stock market to crash.

#121 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Well, it's too hot outside to go tend to my burned up avocado trees, so we might as well sit inside this nice air conditioned house and pass the time while we wait for the stock market to crash.

All I know is somehow my niece and nephew turned out to be absolutely fantastic kids and nobody had to beat the shit out of them for this to happen.

Guess they are just lucky!

#122 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

All I know is somehow my niece and nephew turned out to be absolutely fantastic kids and nobody had to beat the shit out of them for this to happen.

My daughter too! She's grown up to be quite a young lady. Straight A student and working near full time. Just glad she never got caught selling those vape pens when she was in Jr. High. I am proud of her for being so enterprising though.

#123 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

My nieces did also, one of them is a soon to be heart surgeon even, but there are exceptions to everything. A high percentage of people in these younger generations dont want to work and feel entitled and they are just softies. People “in general” today also have no morals at all. It’s definitely not the same world that i grew up in. I could go on and on but no need to. You know it and i know it and everybody here knows it.

#124 5 years ago

I have been lucky myself to have not had to beat my two. Except early this year I was out of work and got the kids a Nintendo switch and a month later my 8 yr. old testosterone fueld son threw the controller at the big screen and broke it. He got a real old school beating followed now with 6 months of looking at a broken tv he can't watch as well as a sprinkling of verbal shamming. Maybe it was the times or maybe it was just me either way I like who I am

#125 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

It’s definitely not the same world that i grew up in. I could go on and on but no need to. You know it and i know it and everybody here knows it.

Today is different than when you grew up decades ago?

Yes. I’ll concede you are right.

The rest of the stuff is mostly the same kind of rantings old men were saying about your generation when you were a kid.

You know it and I know and maybe like 2 or 3 other people here know it. Everyone else is just a ranting old man and doesn’t get it.

Now git. Off. My. LAWN! Trust me, I find myself whining about the 20-somethings at work and I’m horrified to realize I’m close to turning into my grandpa. I’m somehwere between him and my dad at this point.

It’s the circle of life and there’s absolutely nothing we can do about it. Liked seriously I work with two 29-year olds. One sucks and the other is awesome. And whenever the shitty one does something shitty my first involuntary reaction is to start an inner monologue about how much millennials suck!!!

But what about the good one? Maybe the dipshit is just a dipshit and it’s not because he was born in the 80s?

#126 5 years ago

My nephew was top of his class at Emory and is now sitting on wall street living in Manhattan making the big bucks. Not bad for 25 years old.

"Don't you miss living in So Cal surfing?' "Yep, but by the time I'm done here I'll be buying my own beach"

#127 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

My nephew was top of his class at Emery and is now sitting on wall street living in Manhattan making the big bucks. Not bad for 25 years old.
"Don't you miss living in So Cal surfing?' "Yep, but by the time I'm done here I'll be buying my own beach"

Sounds like a good kid. How is it possible you know a decent person under the age of 40?! They are all lazy and selfish and addicted to their cell phone!!!

Now gimme a second I gotta post something on my cell phone...

#128 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Sounds like a good kid. How is it possible you know a decent person under the age of 40?! They are all lazy and selfish and addicted to their cell phone!!!
Now gimme a second I gotta post something on my cell phone...

That's funny!

All these kids have to do is look at me or my daughter's mother to know they better get a college education.

There are no short cuts now. Gone are the days when a mechanic, construction , or grocery clerk job can do any more that just get you by. But when they did, we had a lot of fun.

#129 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That's funny!
All these kids have to do is look at me or my daughter's mother to know they better get a college education.
There are no short cuts now. Gone are the days when a mechanic, construction , or grocery clerk job can do any more that just get you by. But when they did, we had a lot of fun.

And that’s REALLY what sucks.

#130 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Today is different than when you grew up decades ago?
Yes. I’ll concede you are right.
The rest of the stuff is mostly the same kind of rantings old men were saying about your generation when you were a kid.
You know it and I know and maybe like 2 or 3 other people here know it. Everyone else is just a ranting old man and doesn’t get it.
Now git. Off. My. LAWN! Trust me, I find myself whining about the 20-somethings at work and I’m horrified to realize I’m close to turning into my grandpa. I’m somehwere between him and my dad at this point.
It’s the circle of life and there’s absolutely nothing we can do about it. Liked seriously I work with two 29-year olds. One sucks and the other is awesome. And whenever the shitty one does something shitty my first involuntary reaction is to start an inner monologue about how much millennials suck!!!
But what about the good one? Maybe the dipshit is just a dipshit and it’s not because he was born in the 80s?

Once again, i am talking about people “in general.” I know lots of hard working well mannered 20, 30, year olds. Im not saying that they are all bad by any means but a large percentage of them are pretty screwed up. People are just different today and in most cases it isnt for the better. With that being said though i still know some kids that are awesome and very well mannered that make their parents very proud.

#131 5 years ago

“Getting by” has a whole different meaning today

My grandparents lived on a farm where they ate what they grew and raised mostly

And they didn’t have iPhones, flat screen TVs, fancy cars or pinball machines

A Tru Ade drink and a moon pie every day was all you needed

My mom and my wife were teachers.

Today, some of these kids are impossible to deal with. Mostly because their whiny parents complain every time their kid gets their feelings hurt

You see it all over youth sports too. Don’t need to look any further than some of these parents and how they act

#132 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Mostly because their whiny parents complain every time....

...their pinball playfield gets a dimple.

(fixed it for ya!)

#133 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

“Getting by” has a whole different meaning today
My grandparents lived on a farm where they ate what they grew and raised mostly
And they didn’t have iPhones, flat screen TVs, fancy cars or pinball machines
A Tru Ade drink and a moon pie every day was all you needed
My mom and my wife were teachers.
Today, some of these kids are impossible to deal with. Mostly because their whiny parents complain every time their kid gets their feelings hurt

EXACTLY iceman because they are the “offended” generation. Everything offends them and everybody is a racist. Maybe if high schools start having cry ins we can fix some of these problems!

#134 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

You see it all over youth sports too. Don’t need to look any further than some of these parents and how they act

This country is raising a whole new round of wussified young people. I am blown away at the stories I hear of some of the applicants that want to work on the base as a contractor. Some of them get bothered that they have to be at an interview at like... .omg.....0900.

"What do you mean i cant start at $90K fresh out of school????".....keep in mind this is in the poorest 3 counties in Florida.

#135 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

EXACTLY iceman because they are the “offended” generation. Everything offends them and everybody is a racist.

They would have loved my dad then, sitting in his chair half drunk looking like Archie Bunker telling super politically incorrect jokes that I dare not repeat here. He was a riot and always the life of the party wherever he went.

He was a good ole boy that liked to have fun. And a big influence on me. Even though my mom kicked him out when I was in third grade, we spent a lot of time together later on. I miss him, but thankful for the time we had.

#136 5 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

I am blown away at the stories I hear of some of the applicants that want to work on the base

At least you guys can get applicants lol. When i got on where i work in the early 80’s the company announced that they were hiring. There was a line of people that wrappead all the way around the parking lot out to the street. I am talking thousands of people trying to get hired on. The place still pays very well but we cannot get ANYBODY to even put in an application hardly. If they are lucky enough to find six or seven people, only about 2 of them will usually stay. They dont want to work shift work or the weekends and most of them have very poor work ethics. Most people today cant pass a drug test either. We literally cannot find people to work.

#137 5 years ago

When I apply for a job, it is the boss that gets interviewed, not me.

#138 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

They would have loved my dad then, sitting in his chair half drunk looking like Archie Bunker telling super politically incorrect jokes that I dare not repeat here. He was a riot and always the life of the party wherever he went.

Sounds like My Dad, he was also part Fred Flintstone when doing Projects!

#139 5 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Sounds like My Dad, he was also part Fred Flintstone when doing Projects!

Your dad must have been awesome because Fred Flintstone is awesome! I would so be in on a new Flintstones game if stern every made one!

#140 5 years ago

I remember pops scrubbing the top of his boat once using some new kind of laundry detergent when his feet went out from under him and he landed on his ass with a big thud.

All he could do is jump up and say "no more fucking Cold Power!"

#141 5 years ago

This is a precious picture to me as it is the only one I think I have with my daughter and dad together at Christmas time some 17 or 18 years ago.
SCAN0066 (resized).JPGSCAN0066 (resized).JPG

#142 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

This is a precious picture to me as it is the only one I think I have with my daughter and dad together at Christmas time some 17 or 18 years ago.

He dont look like Archie Bunker to me lol. He looks like a happy nice guy in that picture.

#143 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

He dont look like Archie Bunker to me lol. He looks like a happy nice guy in that picture.

Oh he was a happy nice guy alright. But maybe more snarky than I can be. Always found something funny in everything. A Korean War veteran that loved his fishing. Took long range trips and would be gone for weeks.

He used to dress up real slick for his business meetings so every time I look at my Big Daddy pinball machine it kind of reminds me of him.

#144 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Yeah, but that is not as dramatic for story telling.

#145 5 years ago

I've got some younger pics of him somewhere and there is a resemblance to Carrol O'Conner for sure. I just gotta dig them out sometime.

#146 5 years ago

Trade war will make pinball more expensive to make.

It's not that pinball can't be made with American steel or aluminum, but it will cost more just like the imports receiving the tariffs. Either way, the cost to the buyer increases. No way around it.

#147 5 years ago

Thumbing through this old box of photos, I didn't even know I had one of my old '67 Bronco. Sold that thing 20 years ago.

Check out o-din in the mid 90s.

"Unemployment been berry berry good to me!"

SCAN0067 (resized).JPGSCAN0067 (resized).JPG
#148 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Thumbing through this old box of photos, I didn't even know I had one of my old '67 Bronco. Sold that thing 20 years ago.
Check out o-din in the mid 90s.
"Unemployment been berry berry good to me!"

Those Broncos were awesome!

Isn't that Spicoli from Fast times at Ridgemont getting ready for some tasty waves

#149 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Isn't that Spicoli from Fast times at Ridgemont getting ready for some tasty waves

Let's see- mid 90s-

Tasty waves- check!
Cool buzz- check!
Old beater Bronco-Check!
Pinball at every location- check!
Plenty of good music- check!
Enough money to get by- check!
Hanging out with old friends also unemployed- check!

So to summarize-

90s way better than the 80s when I was slave to the grind- Check!

Almost forgot about all the single young ladies that were still in range- Check! Check! Check!

#150 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

That’s awesome lol.......and i 100% believe that you did that too! Lmao</

Damn.. I only thought that shit happened in Kentucky!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pittsburgh, PA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 320 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-will-the-next-economic-crash-affect-the-pinball-industry/page/3?hl=jfre81 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.