(Topic ID: 221074)

How Will The Next Economic Crash Affect The Pinball Industry?

By o-din

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 320 posts
  • 78 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by cottonm4
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

c7614b02079a86c16b7c109b5a805e4ce6fa9907 (resized).jpg
E72560AA-068A-40C8-B302-E391481AF50E (resized).jpeg
quote-what-goes-up-must-come-down-isaac-newton-45-58-80 (resized).jpg
Unknown (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2018-10-24 at 7.35.54 PM (resized).png
vfkuliskzle01 (resized).jpg
83a4c64d1e0d1fceed9e9d4cb5f71d13 (resized).jpg
82CBBEFB-E4B6-4278-9C85-CA41620F8837 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20180716-151431~2 (resized).png
2e4dip (resized).jpg
E900B3A1-4027-483A-B277-B743E2AB01B1 (resized).png
SCAN0068 (resized).JPG
1D36511C-B37A-404E-918E-865A4F938EA3 (resized).jpeg
4170266D-FC2B-4A50-AB83-4E54D5D2631B (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
SCAN0067 (resized).JPG
There are 320 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.
#51 5 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

That will make pinside boring

Back to the days when pinside was a manly repair tip forum for those that had actually used hand tools before with plenty of pictures and gifs of scantily clad women, and there weren't endless, ridiculous "shut up and take my money" dream theme threads, or whipped men who admit they let their wives run their lives, and it was OK to say you didn't like a particular theme or game without somebody going off and sniveling to whoever and then having the hammer of Thor come down on you for doing so would be A-OK with me.

One good thing about an economic downturn is it does have a way of weeding out the posers who live life on a line of credit from those that are ready and can make it thru on cruise control.

And personally, I look forward to it.

#52 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

So they come up with some cheaper street level games, but that doesn't go over too well either... to be continued...

At first. But these weren't ordinary street level games. These were state of the art playing machines with great layouts, features and scoring and all non licensed themes! They caught on real quick with the unemployment crowd...... to be continued.....

#53 5 years ago

That will make pinside boring

That's fine by me.

#54 5 years ago

I dont believe much will effect our small hobby.

#55 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

During the 30s throughout The Great Depression, there were hundreds of manufacturers

Hundreds of manufacturers? That seems like a lot. You must have a list or some sort of data base of manufacturers from then. Could you post that for me? I'm interested to see who all of those manufacturers were. Thanks in advance!

#56 5 years ago
Quoted from Dooskie:

Hundreds of manufacturers? That seems like a lot. You must have a list or some sort of data base of manufacturers from then. Could you post that for me? I'm interested to see who all of those manufacturers were. Thanks in advance!

You are gonna have to produce proof that you own that DE King Kong before we can fulfil any requests.

Why did you spin that whopper anyway? The motivation was never clear.

#57 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

That's fine by me.

Not for me. I sit around all day and post. I weigh 280 pounds and don’t exercise.

#58 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Usually in bad economies coin op does good, cheaper entertainment.
Didn't help last time.
No idea on next time.
LTG : )

Coin op has never had to battle an app market this healthy and advanced.

Pinball is a big dollar industry that’s driven by home collectors. If the markets have a crazy crash, no way folks will be dropping $6-$10k on a wooden box with lights.

Some might.

But the average modern NIB buyer won’t.

#59 5 years ago

Not for me. I sit around all day and post. I weigh 280 pounds and don’t exercise.

You too? Im going to try to hit tree fiddy before 2019!

#60 5 years ago
Quoted from Dooskie:

I'd post them, but I don't feel like violating copyright Laws. Get yourself access to Dick Bueschel's Encyclopedia of Pinball. He only published Volumes 1 & 2 before he passed away. They cover from the late 1920's to the mid 1930's. There are over a hundred manufacturers listed in the editorial indexes. A lot of us never heard of many of these companies, but they all made penny & nickel table-top pinball machines.

#61 5 years ago

Effect of economic crash, odin??.....well, either pins will go up, down, or the same.
hedged myself here.

One things for sure, people in CA will start using them for housing! One person per cabinet!
Low cost real estate!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#62 5 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Effect of economic crash, odin??.....well, either pins will go up, down, or the same.
hedged myself here.
One things for sure, people in CA will start using them for housing! One person per cabinet!
Low cost real estate!

California will find a way to get a boatload of taxes out of those that do that.

#63 5 years ago

Oh brother don’t get me started about taxes!!!!

They really suck, am I right guys?!?!

#64 5 years ago
Quoted from CosmoJoe:

Hah yeah sorry I realized I never really finished my train of thought I was going to say, I think if we see another sharp recession, the interest you have seen in retro gaming would insulate the pinball industry to some degree. Of course, how well run and efficient some of these smaller boutique companies are really will determine if they weather an economy on a downturn.
If interest rates rise a significant amount, that could also affect the ability of more HOU purchases. I don't know how many people here have bought machines on credit but the rates are pretty generous right now. I have gotten so many 'no interest for 18 months' offers I have lost count.

If you have to use a credit card or take out a loan to buy something as stupid as a pinball machine you should have your head examined

#65 5 years ago
Quoted from timab2000:

If you have to use a credit card or take out a loan to buy something as stupid as a pinball machine you should have your head examined

My Brain is always being examined! Just did it again today!

#66 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballFever:

Apple stock was $12 at one time.
Bill Gates agreed to invest $150 million for shares of Apple non-voting preferred stock (which helped keep Apple afloat) but by 2003 Microsoft had sold it's entire stake in Apple.
Those 36.2 million shares if Microsoft had kept them? They would be worth billions today.

If you factor in stock splits Apple was closer to $2.00 I think. Somewhere around 1997.

#67 5 years ago

It's already here...y'all just can't see it yet.

#68 5 years ago

Coin op in the Great Depression: As LTG noted, coin-op did good in the bad times. There were no jobs (well, that is not true. If unemployment is 25% that means 75% are working) so if you were broke and down to your last nickel and bored you------fed a pinball machine.

The founder of the Holiday Inn motel chain got his start during the depression with pinball machines.

(Google search is wonderful)

https://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/14/business/kemmons-wilson-90-dies-was-holiday-inn-founder.html

" He dropped out of high school at 17 and borrowed $50 from a friend to buy a popcorn machine in a local theater. But the manager got rid of him for making more money than he did.

" From popcorn, he switched to the pinball machine business and used his first profits to pay for a house for his mother. He built the house, saving $1,700, by doing the work himself. He then mortgaged his house, which had cost him $2,700, for $6,500 and bought a jukebox business. Other ventures, from an ice cream parlor to home building, quickly followed.

#69 5 years ago

If the economy tanks I think an old fashioned dark bar with pins and drug sales in the bathroom will make a killing. People always want an escape from reality however they chose to do so. So if you can offer a one stop shop of escaping your life you should make a killing.

#70 5 years ago
Quoted from Gunnut40:

It's already here...y'all just can't see it yet.

This is the kind of dark foreboding I come to threads for.

I’m gonna spend the weekend stocking up on guns and MREs!

Quoted from cottonm4:

Coin op in the Great Depression: As LTG noted, coin-op did good in the bad times. There were no jobs (well, that is not true. If unemployment is 25% that means 75% are working) so if you were broke and down to your last nickel and bored you------fed a pinball machine.
The founder of the Holiday Inn motel chain got his start during the depression with pinball machines.
(Google search is wonderful)
https://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/14/business/kemmons-wilson-90-dies-was-holiday-inn-founder.html
" He dropped out of high school at 17 and borrowed $50 from a friend to buy a popcorn machine in a local theater. But the manager got rid of him for making more money than he did.
" From popcorn, he switched to the pinball machine business and used his first profits to pay for a house for his mother. He built the house, saving $1,700, by doing the work himself. He then mortgaged his house, which had cost him $2,700, for $6,500 and bought a jukebox business. Other ventures, from an ice cream parlor to home building, quickly followed.

80 years later things have changed.
A full on depression, people
Aren’t gonna leave the house for cheap entertainment. They’ll just stay home with all their cheap entertainment.

#71 5 years ago

If my pin collection that I have been building gets hit I won't be selling in a panic. I'm retired and everything is paid for. But the poor boys who have loaded up at the credit barn and then lose their job.... I'd have to join that Warren Buffet "blood in the streets" buying opportunity.

The chart O-din put up is interesting.

2001 is when G.W. Bush was inaugurated. As I recall, almost as soon as he took office, the first words out of his mouth is "that the country is going into a recession". By the chart, he was correct, but maybe late in calling it (enter hind site). From February forward there is a little more of downward slide followed by the 9-11 drop.

In 2002 GWB starts talking about Saddam and his Weapons of Mass Destruction. Then the mini recovery and sideways action until around March 2003 when the U.S. invaded Iraq with Shock and Awe.

2004 and 2005 would suggest that war is good for the economy. A quick victory was expected.

In 2006 things stalled out on the chart. What I recall of things happening is that California came out with the 50 year home mortgage, and an outfit called Ditech was pushing zero interest home loans, and I starting hearing from people getting laid off and moving back home with mom and dad.

2008 was all GWB and Obama was inaugurated in Feb. 2009.

2016 and everybody was saying Trump would be bad for the stock market and look at that chart.

The question: Are we at the peak like 2006?

c430316a96de5ac150cd8b775e0828d182245488.png (resized).jpgc430316a96de5ac150cd8b775e0828d182245488.png (resized).jpg

I do have to laugh when all of the pundits are saying that inflation is starting to pick up. I remember in 2009 when cat food went from 20 LB. sacks to 16 LBs per sack and the price stayed the same---a 30% price any way you cut it. Sugar was 5 lbs. then 4 lbs; I'm waiting for the 3 lb sack to arrive.

A gallon of milk is still a gallon of milk but the grocers use milk as a price war vehicle. A quart of oil is still a quart but to compensate the price had to go up; No hiding the price increase with smaller containers here.

And finally, we have bailed out all of the banks and all of the underwater homeowners; Somewhere in here Greater Fool Theory has to come in to play.

Next up on the list: We will start hearing about Galloping Inflation.

#72 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Back to the days when pinside was a manly repair tip forum for those that had actually used hand tools before

Sorry... do I have to get rid of my machines?

#73 5 years ago

There is always money to be made in good and bad times with stocks. I remember during the Clinton era when you could throw a dart at the stock market printed in the paper and make money. Along came the down swing with GB and old fashioned investments paid. War is good for making money and tech stocks were king. Banks got a bailout and we all started from zero with a record low and have been setting records in closing ever since. This will happen again and luxury items maybe including pins will take a hit depending on how desperate people get. I don't think the prices will hit the all time low pins once were, but one can dream about making a killing at buying pins on the cheap. Cars, boats, trailers, rv's, and motorcycles did before. And the best were the houses you could get. If one can put off the wants of today and save you should be able to have more later and only time will tell about pinball.

#74 5 years ago

Maybe when you were a kid you would dumpster dive to collect aluminum cans? Then later you see a guy with an old pickup at 2am collecting broken down boxes from stores. You would be surprised at what that guy was making. Better yet was the guy on the off ramp. There is always money to make or get.

#75 5 years ago
Quoted from Dooskie:

There were at least 179 different manufacturers in 1932 alone......... https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?yr=1932&sortby=name&searchtype=advanced

From those 179 at least 360 different games were manufactured. In 1932 ALONE.

#76 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Back to the days when pinside was a manly repair tip forum for those that had actually used hand tools before with plenty of pictures and gifs of scantily clad women, and there weren't endless, ridiculous "shut up and take my money" dream theme threads, or whipped men who admit they let their wives run their lives, and it was OK to say you didn't like a particular theme or game without somebody going off and sniveling to whoever and then having the hammer of Thor come down on you for doing so would be A-OK with me.
One good thing about an economic downturn is it does have a way of weeding out the posers who live life on a line of credit from those that are ready and can make it thru on cruise control.
And personally, I look forward to it.

I can't tell how serious this post is or isn't, but I am going to 100% agree with this.

When I read posts of "oh my God, I had to settle for a SE machine amidst my sea of LE machines...what ever will I do if the neighbors find out?" kind of posts - I just hope they are not legitimately serious.

I miss the days this site had some REAL content and not a bunch of drama or seemingly meaningless threads like "Hey, do you really keep your NIB boxes just in case you want to sell your game for even more money?" kind of threads.

You can find tech advice here and there, but now, the vast majority of that knowledge has been placed on PinWiki, Pinball Ninja, or good ol' wild wild west of RGP.

If you can write a $21K check for a game, life goals I guess...? If you can tell me how to properly test a PnP vs NpN transistor or properly trace a current flow on a WPC backbox board, or rule out a "all switches open, ground error" on the DMD - and you can actually carry out these actions and find and correct your errors a la Clay H - now you have my attention.

Oh, woe is me the good ol' days.... *half sarcastic/half truthful*

#77 5 years ago

Dude, you got somethin' to say just say it.
Stop beatin' around the bush.

#78 5 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

I can't tell how serious this post is or isn't, but I am going to 100% agree with this.

No I'm serious. This place was much more fun when there wasn't so much money or sniveling involved. Now you can't say shit without some holier than thou sniveling weasel reporting it. And of course once that happens there is no real way to defend yourself against the consequences.

#79 5 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

My Brain is always being examined! Just did it again today!

If you pay your card off every month , that's great. But most people don't, that's bad.

#80 5 years ago
2e0m5i (resized).jpg2e0m5i (resized).jpg
#81 5 years ago
Quoted from timab2000:

If you pay your card off every month , that's great. But most people don't, that's bad.

Is this Dave Ramsey?

#82 5 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Sorry... do I have to get rid of my machines?

You might want to check with the wifey first.

#83 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

No I'm serious. This place was much more fun when there wasn't so much money or sniveling involved. Now you can't say shit without some holier than thou sniveling weasel reporting it. And of course once that happens there is no real way to defend yourself against the consequences.

That depends on who you are around here. Some people can say anything that they want and its ok, while others say nothing and get in trouble.

#84 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

That depends on who you are around here. Some people can say anything that they want and its ok, while others say nothing and get in trouble.

What you mean is Odin needs to kiss that pinball booty!

#85 5 years ago
Quoted from Gunnut40:

What you mean is Odin needs to kiss that pinball booty!

Pretty much, and i don’t see that happening anytime soon. O-din is what he is and doesnt kiss anyones azz. He may be goofy but he’s real and not a phony, i like that.

#86 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

He may be goofy but he’s real and not a phony, i like that.

afeae93bede5c52f9710d0b181b1c7aa (resized).jpgafeae93bede5c52f9710d0b181b1c7aa (resized).jpg
#87 5 years ago

You can say whatever you want as long as you don't state an opinion or offend anyone. Good luck.

#88 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Everybody FEELS that way but I guarantee it’s bullshit. I’m sure Odin feels like he’s the only one who gets moderated. So do you. So do I.

You want to talk shit or constantly see how much politics you can talk and get away with it? That doesn’t sound a little like you?

Sometimes you’ll get moderated sometimes you’ll get away with it.

That’s life in the fast lane buddy!

#89 5 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

You can say whatever you want as long as you don't state an opinion or offend anyone. Good luck.

Like i said though, that depends on who you are. Also these days almost everyone is offended by everything, its the cool way to be these days seems like. Thank God for cry ins, coloring books, puppy dogs to pet while crying, and Play- Doh is all i can say! How did we ever get by without these things for so many years???

#90 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Everybody FEELS that way but I guarantee it’s bullshit. I’m sure Odin feels like he’s the only one who gets moderated. So do you. So do I.

No, I know for sure you and I are west and east coast bookend kings in that department. And Iceman and Who-Dey are somewhere in the middle.

It is nice to be in such great company though.

#91 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You want to talk shit or constantly see how much politics you can talk and get away with it? That doesn’t sound a little like you?
Sometimes you’ll get moderated sometimes you’ll get away with it.
That’s life in the fast lane buddy!

I guarantee you its not bullshit is what I guarantee. Im not mad about it though, nor do i even give a shit. Im just talking

#92 5 years ago

When Black Friday comes
I'm gonna stake my claim
I guess I'll change my name.

#93 5 years ago
Quoted from WyseGuy:

Is this Dave Ramsey?

No

#94 5 years ago

I would say with the exception of anything i own pinball prices will stay stable. I will keep my list of pinball machines (and purchases in general) so everyone will know what is sure to become worthless in the next months/years. No matter or market conditions the one tried and true rule is "if i am looking to by it is made of gold, if i am sell it then it seems to have no value"

it always makes me think of the jukebox boom, prices spiked they were cool for a hot second and now no matter what the true "market value" is the guy that bought in at the 5 - 6k range ain't selling until he doubles his money no matter how publicized his machines lack of worth is. I keep thinking that pin prices are sure to drop and level but that does not seem to be the reality.

#95 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

One thing for sure.
Odin's dog will be smoking cheaper cigars come the down turn.
LTG : (

Hey Odin, why are you always smoking short stubby cigars?

Odin's answer: ...because no one ever throws out a whole one.

#96 5 years ago
Quoted from Mikala:

Hey Odin, why are you always smoking short stubby cigars?
Odin's answer: ...because no one ever throws out a whole one.

That's funny!

When I was in military school there was one colonel that smoked cigars and just threw the butts on the ground when he was done. A student who was a bigger rebel than I was collected them all up and kept them in his desk.

One day the teacher who was a big dude with 14 kids of his own ( he was very proud of that) came in and picked up the desk with the kid sitting in it and turned it over and dumped both the kid and all the cigar butts on the floor. It was kind of funny at the time.

#97 5 years ago

I didn't like military school the two years I was there, and I got sent there for pretty much being who I am, but it did prepare me for any abuse the outside world could give me. And it taught me the discipline to get up in the morning and make the most out of every hour in the day, which I did for quite some time during my hard working years. They don't beat kids there now like they used to though. Too many lawyers I guess.

#98 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

No, I know for sure you and I are west and east coast bookend kings in that department. And Iceman and Who-Dey are somewhere in the middle.
It is nice to be in such great company though.

............ ................

#99 5 years ago
Quoted from WyseGuy:

Is this Dave Ramsey?

Or Bruce Williams; "Good Luck my friend".

#100 5 years ago

What do you guys think ended up with more dimples at St Catherine's military school, this hardwood paddle, or my bare ass?

647342576a6a7a5c787d3d56f4703a64 (resized).jpg647342576a6a7a5c787d3d56f4703a64 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 320 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-will-the-next-economic-crash-affect-the-pinball-industry/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.