(Topic ID: 86784)

How will pinball need to change to survive another generation?

By lowepg

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 252 posts
  • 100 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by unigroove
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

mill2.jpg
    Mini1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider westofrome.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 10 years ago

For all the talk of getting kids into pinball, I never played pinball as a kid, even when it was available in arcades and other coin-op venues - I stuck to video games. It wasn't until college that I got into pinball. Part of that was living in a town with an awesome pin arcade (Pinball Pete's) but I do think that expecting pins to do well in family fun centers surrounded by redemption machines is unrealistic. How many here were into pins as a kid, how many got into it in college/beyond?

#52 10 years ago

Re: shift towards narrative: look at the huge popularity of Candy Crush. Sure, it's a Bejeweled knockoff, but they took the well-worn game idea and gave it a (very loose) narrative and "levels" to provide a feeling of progress and accomplishment.

#111 10 years ago

I think evolving the TOPS tournament model for the LCD/internet age would help. I think the current implementation in Stern games is a little too obscure for the casual bargoer to understand.

How about JJP implements a similar system, but with the benefit of a full LCD to promote, explain, and show the leaderboard and pot? And the ability to check your standing online? (User checks phone: whoa! I fell to 2nd! Better get to the bar tonight and fix that). Most bars have wifi now. Don't Golden Tee/BBH have a similar thing, and aren't they the biggest displacers of pins?

#150 10 years ago

I have to say, the social and physical aspects of pinball are a big part of the appeal for me. That to play, I have to track them down in the wild. Always a good reason to check out a new bar, scout out places in a town you're visiting, go to shows, etc. The journey and hunt is half the fun. Sort of like music used to be before the digital revolution...you had to hunt down the rare stuff in shops. I like that I can't truly have the whole pinball experience via my laptop.

#180 10 years ago

Satellite Room in DC used to have a "get the top score and we'll pay your bar tab" night, FWIW.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider westofrome.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-will-pinball-need-to-change-to-survive-another-generation?tu=westofrome and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.