(Topic ID: 86784)

How will pinball need to change to survive another generation?

By lowepg

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 252 posts
  • 100 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by unigroove
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

mill2.jpg
    Mini1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#41 10 years ago

The problem with pinball isn't pinball...it's the fact that it's a coin-operated game and coin-operated games are generally irrelevant to our culture.

Pinball right now is embraced by those with nostalgia and a 20/30-something "hipster" generation that likes the old school nature of it. Based on that - changing it too radically risks turning people away. Some innovation is cool, but I don't think it will ever be a massive gamechanger as pinball is just a small part of one scene - the arcade. If the arcade is dead, then the coolest pinball ever won't make a blip on the mass culture.

IMO collectors, barcades, and tournaments are what will keep pinball alive for whatever time it has left.

#54 10 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Ditto that & same choices for me too. I was greatly disappointed in the narrow scope of AC/DC: "Band game about band". It has actually become "the" machine I use as an example of what ->not<- to do going forward with all of this pinball evolution stuff.
    Deep rulesets + interesting goals delivered via the pinball interface = future interest.

AC/DC's Sterns best selling and most beloved game in years. They'll be glad to know they made a huge mistake with AC/DC's rules lol

#65 10 years ago
    Quoted from alichino:

That's not really the point, though. What's popular today isn't necessarily the future. The game is still very strong in terms of sales, but it's not doing so great on route. Why? Well, it's one of the only games where points are really the focus to come out in the last decade, which is going to appeal to older pin-heads. They don't necessarily go out on locations and would prefer their experience at home (and have the money to do so), so it sells well but doesn't do well on route. What's doing well on route (see: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-on-top) are games with deep rule sets*, for the most part (IJ and MET aside). The people playing games on route are the ones without the money to purchase them today (non-peak earning years; saving for a house, etc). 10 years from now, they'll have more money, which will mean stronger sales.
    Edit: AC/DC does have a deep rule set, but it's more point driven than the others on the list

At this point we're just discussion personal opinion....which has nothing to do with the longevity of pinball into the next generation. Again, it really all comes down to how long companies are willing to make coin-op games in a world that doesn't care about coin-op games.

Collectors, barcades, tournaments. That is pinball's future for the most part.

...but as for AC/DC - AC/DC's brilliance is it can be played any way you want. You can just play for points or you can play it like any other "deep" progression based game - get through all the song modes and make it to Encore. Or you can just play your favorite song...you can play for multiball or stacked multiballs. It literally can be played a ton of different ways to offer satisfaction for anyone playing. Not sure where you're getting that it's not doing well on route - but it's doing well enough that Stern's making a shitload of 'em

#74 10 years ago
    Quoted from Craig:

All of these prophecies of doom might be accurate. Then again, few if any would have predicted ten years ago that things would be where they are today. It is always possible that pinball's unique qualities will continue to draw enough people in, if only in periodic waves, to keep the hobby alive and vibrant. I certainly hope that's the case.

I think there will always be people who dig it, hobbyists for sure...but it's going to be a relatively niche thing....I don't see it becoming a huge mainstream phenomenon like it once was, just due to its very nature - being a coin-operated gaming machine in a world where that's no longer a big deal.

#192 10 years ago
    Quoted from icycalm:

I'm a millennial. I'll share a perspective.
    Nobody my age or younger plays for score. Nobody.

Honestly I'm not sure many gamers ever did. When I was a kid and was playing Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Q*Bert, etc....score was never on my mind. My goal was to get as far as a could, to a level I'd never been to before. The score just sorta "went along" with the gameplay....if I got farther, my score would probably be higher.

#194 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Since 1/2 of games go overseas, Stern has learned that original pins sell only a few games, but licensed pins sell container loads.
    Thus Gary Stern has said many times "only licensed themes".

As a video gamer, I know the "licensed = shit" rule....but that's the beauty of pinball - licensed properties make awesome pinballs - so if you're a fan of a license, it's super fun to have one of your favorite things as a fun playable game.

#201 10 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Uhhh no, sometimes "licensed equals shit"…..TF, TRS, BBH, XM (imo), etc…..no offense to anybody that owns one really….but just mo

I didn't say "always" ...but generally, licensed pinball machines are very good - and even the "shitty" ones are way more fun than licensed video games usually are.

I imagine licensed video games are better these days than they used to be (I usually enjoy the Spider-Man games!) ...but back in the NES days, if you saw a movie/cartoon based game, it generally meant "STAY AWAY!!!". Unless it was a Capcom Disney game like Duck Tales Acclaim/LJN/THQ games were usually the worst offenders.

#204 10 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Thanks for sharing... right on target. New goals, better art, modern twists, and avoiding crappy licenses. Sounds like an excellent start.
    Multimorphic understands this. I like what they're doing and have two titles in alpha development to capitalize upon this new level game theory. But I've blabbed enough about it already & gotta get back to the lab. Game on!

Unfortunately their first 2 titles still fall into the "terrible art" category.

#207 10 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Too early in the development process to judge. Give it time... the platform is evolving.

Is the Lexi translite/sideart/game art/animation still considered early?

#213 10 years ago
    Quoted from gstellenberg:

Sorry it's not your cup of tea, Rarehero. We got a lot of very positive artwork reviews at TPF, but we fully understand that artwork is highly subjective.
    With traditional machines, you're stuck with what comes on the machine. With the P3, you can swap it out in just seconds. They're simply printed magnets (and a translite). A whole set of cab decals costs about $150 from most local print shops.
    » YouTube video
    We are (and always have been) open to constructive feedback on our artwork and hope to ship the games with artwork that appeals to a large majority, but we know we won't ever please everybody. If somebody comes out with alternative decals that the community likes, we'll be happy to work with the artists and potentially offer them as secondary options or just refer aftermarket business to them.
    The P3 addresses a lot of the issues traditional machines present to consumers. Easily replaceable artwork is a big one... not just because of varying opinions but because of how much it simplifies cabinet repairs.
    - Gerry
    http://www.multimorphic.com

I almost feel guilty criticizing because I'm a HUGE fan of P3...that's why I am so critical about the art & animation ...it's such an amazing concept and platform that it deserves better art direction to really take it above and beyond what else is out there in pinball land. It's the best pinball tech advancement out there...I'd love to see a game on it with incredible art direction and kinetic visuals brimming with color and personality.

#215 10 years ago
    Quoted from gstellenberg:

Thanks for that. Are you volunteering?

Just an observer and potential customer....not looking for another job (paid or unpaid)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-will-pinball-need-to-change-to-survive-another-generation?tu=rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.