(Topic ID: 273728)

How will I know when I have enough pins?

By Blakester

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pins (resized).jpg
    play-jaja-ding (resized).jpg
    Grand Canyon 2 001 (resized).jpg
    EEF6C5B5-44A8-4B12-9450-48EE9B7112DE (resized).jpeg
    F87AAF8C-A367-4067-8767-5DB908CE9CED (resized).jpeg

There are 129 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 3 years ago

When you can’t play each one once during a 24 hour period

#52 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

When your pin room is full, and you have one in the garage and one in the shop, you know you're at the halfway point

Hahahahaha... Awesome, hahaha. Love this response

#53 3 years ago

When you call me to come pick up the overflow for free!

PS. Did I mention the 3 pins for sale near you???????

#54 3 years ago

You know when it is enough. For me it is when I realize that I am more "hoarding" than collecting. At that point it feels good to sell a few. Then get a few. And the cycle continues.

#55 3 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

Once you hit 50 games you have to start questioning your sanity.
    I sold them all and bought this and restored all the mechanical.
    Now I am buying a few more pins.
    Pic taken @ Rotary Point, Lake Arrowhead.
    [quoted image]

If there’s a hobby more expensive than pins, it’s cars!

#56 3 years ago

There is no such thing as too many.

#57 3 years ago

I have 28 now and room to expand to 50 pins. You know you have enough when maintaining them all feels less like a hobby and more like a job.

#58 3 years ago

I will let you know when you have enough pins. Keep them rolling in for now.

I have 22 working and 17 projects that need attention.

#59 3 years ago

It’s all about the real estate.

#60 3 years ago

When you have either expanded your basement outward or literally raised up your home to build another level .

The threads are somewhere on Pinside. I just did not look.

#61 3 years ago

Is your wife complaining about having to park in the driveway instead of the garage?

#62 3 years ago

Keep going. You cant have enough!

#63 3 years ago

I just started this hobby this year ,bought one in April ,2nd in June,3rd just made deal to purchase in late August ,then I will be broke until spring when I plan on buying 4th and 5th by summer ...then I’m either done or divorced!! I’ll lyk a year from now what happened .

#64 3 years ago

When more are in non working or non playable condition compared to playable in your collection.

#65 3 years ago

Q: How many pins do you really need?
    A: Just one more.....

#66 3 years ago

When your on the phone with Steve at Pinball Resource 3 or more times a week. Only to send at least 2 follow up emails to that last order. I have yet to do this but figure it's only in due time.

#67 3 years ago

When more are broken then playable!

#68 3 years ago

When the manufacturers are running low on stock and they call you to help resupply them.

LTG : )

#69 3 years ago

When you are out of physical space for even one more pin.
    Then, without getting rid of any of the ones you have, you figure out how to rearrange everything to put six more in the same space.

#70 3 years ago

You won’t know it on the way up, but at some point you will realize you have too many. Then you can settle into the right number on your way back down.

#71 3 years ago

It's all relative to the individual. Everyone is different, so buy whatever number makes you happy. You do you.

#72 3 years ago

What is this "enough" you speak of?

#73 3 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

When you have either expanded your basement outward or literally raised up your home to build another level .
    The threads are somewhere on Pinside. I just did not look.

Hey! It seemed rational at the time. Granted I had the entire expansion filled before they were done excavating the house lol. Still must say in all my years of hobby and marriage that was one of my oddest brainstorm requests to present my wife. All in all we would do it again. Use the space every day.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-game-room-underground-excavation-and-expansion-for-themodcouple

#74 3 years ago

You have to buy another property on a vacant block to build a shed in order to store all the project machines that you have accumulated over the years.

Plus most will never be fixed to working status as a good portion have been raided for spare parts but you just can't bring yourself to part them out and turf the remainder.

#75 3 years ago

When you find the secret to being content with the collection you have, let me know! No, on second thought, don't!

#76 3 years ago

Never. The craving only dies when you do

#77 3 years ago

It's never enough!

play-jaja-ding (resized).jpgplay-jaja-ding (resized).jpg
    #78 3 years ago

I had 8 at one point, it was awesome but only played the same few machines after a while. We have people over quite a bit and no one seemed to get into pinball. I sold 4 machines and picked up a Golden Tee/Silver Strike, foosball, 60-1 cocktail arcade and bar dart board. All those non-pinball games are constantly being played, plus we can setup tournaments with them and multiple people can be actively involved. Unfortunately pinball is a very isolating game, even in multiplayer games, you're playing by yourself.

#79 3 years ago

When the sun rises in the West and sets in the East. When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves.

#80 3 years ago

Tim Arnold wrote a piece for the old Pinball Trader - “are you a collector or a hoarder“. “Do you collect because they are collectible, or because they are fun to play?“ it was an eye-opener for me. I had 52. It was time to start selling. Now, I keep about a dozen.

#81 3 years ago

this is like the square root of pi, it can go on ad infinitum........

#82 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

this is like the square root of pi, it can go on ad infinitum........

Pi does that without square rooting it! You're probably thinking of the square root of two, which is also irrational.

#83 3 years ago

When you run out of money, or space!

Quoted from Blakester:

These pinball machines sure are fun to collect--but sometimes you reach a point where you can't give them all the time they deserve. Thoughts about when "enough is enough"?

#84 3 years ago

When you haven’t mentioned a pin in your line up in a month. Time for that one to go.....Next!

#85 3 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Pi does that without square rooting it! You're probably thinking of the square root of two, which is also irrational.

i knew it was something like that.....sorry, i was counting my games at the same time. How many are too many?

#86 3 years ago
    Quoted from Blakester:

Thoughts about when "enough is enough"?

When you start unloading the shitty ones you bought because people on pinside told you they were good.

#87 3 years ago

When you always have a different one that needs repair.

#88 3 years ago

When you have more nonworking/projects than fully functional....

#89 3 years ago
    Quoted from Gorgar666:

When you have more nonworking/projects than fully functional....

I like that definition - gives me a little room to get a few more and an incentive to keep what I have running!

#90 3 years ago

When you have to step outside to change your mind.

#91 3 years ago

When you have 15 in the basement that can only hold 11. 2 in the living room. 2 in the dining room. 6 in the garage. Some at your parents house...........what was the question again?

#92 3 years ago

When you realize you haven't seen your wife for three or four years.

#93 3 years ago

My household has an agreed upon limit of 7 in the house. So I try to stay around there? Just got back down to seven. At first I didn't like having such a low limit, but after a while I've discovered that one machine never gets played when I am at seven, so it works out surprisingly well. Sit at seven games for a couple of months, then I know what game to sell to fund the next acquisition.

#94 3 years ago
    Quoted from Blakester:

I actually have IMDN (from MI Pinball Refinery) in my main counseling office.

I have the same sarcophagus that you do
    A note on a work bulletin board simply said "sarcophagus for sale" with a phone number... how could I resist callin' right?

Playin' your game would drive me crazy though I must say. Havin' one foot on the rug and the other foot 1/2 on 1/2 off, I would blame every missed shot on that rug. lol

#95 3 years ago

When you run out of lies to tell your wife.

#96 3 years ago

Your next wife will let you know.....

#97 3 years ago

When u start a thread on Pinside and ask the question “ How will I know when I have enough Pins?”

#98 3 years ago

For me, I can fit four pins in my basement. I have nine...scratch that...I just agreed to buy 2 more that are coming this weekend.

#99 3 years ago

Easy. When the government stops sending out covid 19 stimulus money.

#100 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

When you realize you haven't seen your wife for three or four years.

Wait, so all I have to do is buy more pins for that?? (Says the guy hoping his wife doesn’t read the forum...)

There are 129 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-will-i-know-when-i-have-enough-pins/page/2?hl=steve_d71 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.