(Topic ID: 161595)

How was your Amusement Arcade in the 70 and 80´s ? let's post the pictures here…

By pabloshootagain

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 263 posts
  • 101 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 54 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

GoldMine_9_front (resized).jpg
poelstraat1981 (resized).jpg
FF72793E-C0C1-4042-86EE-E44ED5382F79 (resized).jpeg
3E169C5A-7AD4-4962-B10F-8CD5B7E954CE (resized).jpeg
grandma (resized).jpg
-sega (resized).jpg
image-1 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_15249669527814901 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_15249669748775321 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_15249670105034419 (resized).jpg
30742398_10213898127841078_6438788522307485696_n (resized).jpg
30742035_10213898131401167_1966049222801227776_n (resized).jpg
Arcade (resized).jpg
untitled (resized).png
2653034405_8d1149b29b_o_d (resized).jpg
2015724-ORGAN-GRINDER (resized).jpg
There are 263 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
#1 7 years ago

Hi all !!
After much searching with friends of my adolescence (in Durazno, my hometown, 180 km from Montevideo, where I live now) , we found these pictures of the Amusement Arcade I frequented to play pinball.
This photo was achieved thanks to the person who painted the front of the amusement arcade in 1988 .
As it is seen in the image, at that time, we used to walk or cycle there, as it is a small town and everything is quite close.
IMG-20160422-WA0008_(resized).jpgIMG-20160422-WA0008_(resized).jpg
This is the current image of google earth
Imagen_GoogleEarth_(resized).jpgImagen_GoogleEarth_(resized).jpg
everything changes !!!!!

In this other Amusement Arcade I have no photos of the front, but I have of the inside
IMG-20160525-WA0000-1-1_(resized).jpgIMG-20160525-WA0000-1-1_(resized).jpg
In this picture . I can identify 2 machines : the first one is the Time Line ( Gottlieb ) and the second one is the Black Night ( Williams ).

IMG-20160602-WA0002-1_(resized).jpgIMG-20160602-WA0002-1_(resized).jpg

I loved the Time Line, was not difficult to play and it was great fun.
It was the first of the row, I remember exactly as seen in the photo ( November 1981)
I cannot identify the other machines in this picture, if anyone can, please, go ahead!
In the following picture shows that the last one is the Flight 2000 (Stern) .
I love it and I have it in my wish list !!.
Here is the Flight 2000.
IMG-20160602-WA0001-1_(resized).jpgIMG-20160602-WA0001-1_(resized).jpg
I remember in this Arcade was the Xenon (Bally), Flash Gordon (Bally), Space invaders (Bally) and others , but I think they are not in these photos .
Maybe someone can guess from the cabinet drawings Can anyone risk guessing ?
There was one pinball, I can´t remember and I'm trying to remember with other friends, it was so easy and we were leaving late at night when they closed and the next day we returned and we continued playing with the credits of the previous day.
We loved it , because, with only a quarter, we played a lot of days !! HaHa
When I remember his name I ´m going to post it.
I think it is not in these photos perhaps because it was some time after this picture was taken ( around 83-84 )

When I came to Montevideo I used to go and play here.
20160430_095926_(resized).jpg20160430_095926_(resized).jpg
It was a huge place with dozens of pinball and video games. It closed a few years ago as most places in Uruguay did. The only places where a pinball remains is in one of the "molls"
I'll be waiting for your comments and your pictures.
I hope you like the idea of ​​this topic

#2 7 years ago

Firepower and Meteor are the games next to the Flight 2000.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Thanks a lot dothedoo !! You´re right with Meteor, is next to the Flight 2000, but I was looking for pictures of Firepower and the next is very similar but is not the Firepower (look closely, the drawings of the backbox)

firepower_R_(resized).jpgfirepower_R_(resized).jpg

firepower_L_(resized).jpgfirepower_L_(resized).jpg

is very very similar, but it isn´t , the original photo ends in a spike or peak (I do not know how to say it)
In this picture you can see very good the left side of the cabinet and the backbox and it looks different. What do you think ?
IMG-20160525-WA0000-1-1_(resized).jpgIMG-20160525-WA0000-1-1_(resized).jpg

#4 7 years ago

Oh, then it's a Blackout.....and thought Time Warp is next to Black Knight, but not quite. Scorpion is on the left of Blackout.

#5 7 years ago

Got it....not Time Warp, it's Alien Poker.

So the lineup is:
Time Line
Black Knight
Alien Poker
Scorpion
Blackout
Meteor
Flight 2000

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Oh, then it's a Blackout.....and Time Warp is next to Black Knight.

Yes , is the Blackout , now I remember there was one in this arcade.
And recently , to look very closely the third pinball, next to Black Night, is the Alien Poker.
Look on the playfield the four white pop bumpers and the white drop targets
alien_pocker_(resized).jpgalien_pocker_(resized).jpg

I need to know only one, the red one that is between the Alien Poker and the Blackout
Thanks lot !!

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Got it....not Time Warp, it's Alien Poker.
So the lineup is:
Time Line
Black Knight
Alien Poker
Scorpion
Blackout
Meteor
Flight 2000

yes !!! you already answered me while I was writing , sorry, I'm too slow with my English. yes my friend, you are right, the red one is the scorpion !!! Thanks a lot !!

4 months later
#8 7 years ago

Here we are with my girlfriend at that time, Verónica , who is now my wife.
It was on vacation at the beach in the summer of 93, she is playing Pac-Man.
IMG_20161027_234408 (resized).jpgIMG_20161027_234408 (resized).jpg
IMG_20161027_234425 (resized).jpgIMG_20161027_234425 (resized).jpg

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

That's not Firepower, look at the end of the strip on the backbox. Its Blackout.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, MI.
269-979-3836

#10 7 years ago

In the current picture of the King Plays arcade, is that crown looking shape where the sign is from the original store front?

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

That's not Firepower, look at the end of the strip on the backbox. Its Blackout.
John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, MI.
269-979-3836

Yes, dothedoo said that ,

Quoted from dothedoo:

Oh, then it's a Blackout.....and thought Time Warp is next to Black Knight, but not quite. Scorpion is on the left of Blackout.

#12 7 years ago

This used to be Arnold's Arcade in Seattle's U-District. I bought pot and played pinball and arcade games here all the time, as well as at Space Port up the street.

arnolds (resized).jpgarnolds (resized).jpg

#13 7 years ago

Would be so cool to have some pics of the old haunts, but never took any...

Did anyone grow up in Richmond, BC and have pics of some of the places? Lord Nelson's? Wizard's Castle? Circuit Circus?

I can still picture Lord Nelson's pretty clear in my mind, along with lots of the games. They usually only had a couple of pinball machines. I remember when Banzai Run arrived, and it was the first game to be 50cents. I'd never play a 50-cent game at that time. Ha.

Oh, we used to search for game rooms in local Hotels too, and found a nearby one at the Richmond Inn, with a Black Knight and other games. Unattended so we figured out creative ways to get credits...

There were also pins at the PNE, with a pretty cool arcade. I only remember Hercules, because it stood out as crap back then too.

I also spent a lot of summer vacations in the Okanagan and played at the sites in Penticton and Osoyoos. Anyone have pics of those? Jive Time was at the Ice Cream parlor. Gorgar and a few others were at the drive-in camp next to the Falcon Motel. The water parks all had games.

There was one pretty big stand-alone building with a ton of pins that I spent hours at. I remember playing Interflip Dragon and jumping out of my sandals when it roared. There were also games that sparked and shocked me and smoked. Some of them had the manually operated trough you had to shove in to load the balls. Those were ancient at that time already, but they were still operated! Plenty of banana flippers in the games at that time too.

Any Canadians remember these spots?

#14 7 years ago
#15 7 years ago

I was too busy playing games to take any pictures. Remember, no cell phones, no digital pics... just instant fame playing the games!

#16 7 years ago

Neat photos in the thread.

There are a few machines standing on end in the background of the Post # 3 photos, and I can't figure out what pin is to the left of Heat Wave in the second photo?

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

In the current picture of the King Plays arcade, is that crown looking shape where the sign is from the original store front?

You are a great observer , but it's just coincidence !!

#18 7 years ago

I have no pics of the arcade I grew up with in the Denver, CO area which was bulldozed in 1995 and turned into a Home Depot. Let me give you a little idea what it was like: 80 bowling lanes, Bar, Restaurants, Pool Tables, Olympic size indoor swimming pool w/slides, full sized shooting gallery, skeeball, even indoor bumper cars... and of course 250 or so video games and pinball spanning multiple rooms and levels. The origin of Celebrity Sports Center is interesting... from wikipedia:

[Opened in 1960] The original investors included Walt Disney, his brother Roy, Jack Benny, Bing Crosby, George Burns, Charles Laughton, Burl Ives, Art Linkletter, John Payne, Spike Jones and Jim and Marion Jordan (Fibber McGee and Molly). There are some sources that suggest Walt Disney Company used the business as a training facility for its employees prior to deployment to Disney World.

It was a substantial place, and has proved extremely difficult to find pics that properly reflect it... but there are a handful of fairly old pics around the internet, including a few reflecting the name change over the years

celebrity_lanes (resized).jpgcelebrity_lanes (resized).jpg

celebrity_fun_center2 (resized).jpgcelebrity_fun_center2 (resized).jpg

celebrity_sports_center7 (resized).jpgcelebrity_sports_center7 (resized).jpg

shooting_gallery (resized).jpgshooting_gallery (resized).jpg

skiball (resized).jpgskiball (resized).jpg

sailing (resized).jpgsailing (resized).jpg

arcade (resized).jpgarcade (resized).jpg

bowling (resized).jpgbowling (resized).jpg

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from AvidListener:

Neat photos in the thread.
There are a few machines standing on end in the background of the Post # 3 photos, and I can't figure out what pin is to the left of Heat Wave in the second photo?

From left to right :
Time Line
Black Knight
Alien Poker
Scorpion
Blackout
Meteor
Flight 2000
We define it with dothedoo a few months ago

#20 7 years ago

Hi Pablo,

Thank you for the reply, and I am actually referring to figuring out the machine in the second photo from Post # 3:

Best regards.
T

Post Photo (resized).pngPost Photo (resized).png

#21 7 years ago

Dukes Dairy Bar, East Berne, NY. where my dad in his teens and later I cut my teeth on my first EM pin, EM shooter, shuffleboard, and pool.

400px-Duke's_Dairy_Bar (resized).jpg400px-Duke's_Dairy_Bar (resized).jpg

#22 7 years ago

I am actually referring to figuring out the machine in the second photo from Post # 3:

Best regards.
T

Firepower

LTG : )

#23 7 years ago

Hi Pablo,
Thank you for the reply, and I am actually referring to figuring out the machine in the second photo from Post # 3:
Best regards.
T

Hi !! Sorry my friend, I had not understood you. That photo got off the internet just to show to dothedoo the drawings of the backbox to define which pinball was in my old pics.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

I have no pics of the arcade I grew up with in the Denver, CO area which was bulldozed in 1995 and turned into a Home Depot. Let me give you a little idea what it was like: 80 bowling lanes, Bar, Restaurants, Pool Tables, Olympic size indoor swimming pool w/slides, full sized shooting gallery, skeeball, even indoor bumper cars... and of course 250 or so video games and pinball spanning multiple rooms and levels. The origin of Celebrity Sports Center is interesting... from wikipedia:
[Opened in 1960] The original investors included Walt Disney, his brother Roy, Jack Benny, Bing Crosby, George Burns, Charles Laughton, Burl Ives, Art Linkletter, John Payne, Spike Jones and Jim and Marion Jordan (Fibber McGee and Molly). There are some sources that suggest Walt Disney Company used the business as a training facility for its employees prior to deployment to Disney World.
It was a substantial place, and has proved extremely difficult to find pics that properly reflect it... but there are a handful of fairly old pics around the internet, including a few reflecting the name change over the years

Wonderful pictures my friend , thanks for sharing and for your time.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Dukes Dairy Bar where my dad in his teens and later I cut my teeth on my first EM pin, EM shooter, shuffleboard, and pool.

I guess that picture could bring you many memories and nostalgia. Thanks for sharing

#26 7 years ago

Hi Pablo,
Best regards.
T

Gottlieb "Sing Along" or the Add-A-Ball version, Gottlieb "Melody"

(There was also an export version called "Troubadour" (and "Harmony"!) (both also obviously by Gottlieb) but this was usually quite specific to Italy)

#27 7 years ago

I was looking for some pics of the old Aladdin's arcade in the College Mall in Bloomington and the old arcade in Stone City Mall in Bedford. None on the internet so I'm going to have to dig a little further.

#28 7 years ago

I played my first game of pinball at this arcade at the Jersey shore

lleos (resized).jpglleos (resized).jpg

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I was looking for some pics of the old Aladdin's arcade in the College Mall in Bloomington and the old arcade in Stone City Mall in Bedford. None on the internet so I'm going to have to dig a little further.

I'll try to help you in the search

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from pabloshootagain:

I'll try to help you in the search

You probably won't be able to. I might make a trip to the library or local paper and see if I can find some pics.

#31 7 years ago

Skylon Tower Arcade, Niagara Falls, Ontario. This picture is circa 1994(?). I'd get a paper bag full of tokens as my "allowance" from my old man, so I was here every weekend and many days after school.

That 6-Player X-men ate a great deal of my tokens...the pinball machines, (L to R) Road Show, T2, Getaway and FH, did as well when I needed a break from button mashing.

The sad thing is, I've been back to this "arcade" a year ago, and the same four pin games are still on the floor...dirty, broken and powered off...

000-pins (resized).jpg000-pins (resized).jpg

#32 7 years ago

The "Fun Time Arcade" at the Billerica Mall in Billerica, MA was probably my first arcade ever. The walls were carpeted in dark blue and they had Pinball and video arcade. What I remember fondly though was Mortal Kombat and the driving games. The arcade was located inside a mall and you would go there for a film in a theatre nearby, ice cream, pizza with a jukebox, all in 1 mall. I believe the last film I saw was "Starship Troopers" at that cinema.

I know it's a long shot but if the owner sees this then I hope he has more photo's or ANYBODY that went to this arcade. The entire mall became really abandoned and still is with a Planet Fitness and K-Mart being the only store open now. The only photo I have of the arcade is this one. The entrance did that sorta cool curve and curved to the right for the entrance. There was a bronze arrow that guided you and you can see the fading on the 80's wood paneling.

I know it's a major longshot but if anybody has more pics of the arcade could I see them? If I suddenly won the mega millions I would re-create that arcade.

Billerica-Mall-07 (resized).jpgBillerica-Mall-07 (resized).jpg

#33 7 years ago

My arcade was Land of Oz at the local mall. I can't post pictures because I took them with this...

IMG_1027 (resized).JPGIMG_1027 (resized).JPG

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

My arcade was Land of Oz at the local mall. I can't post pictures because I took them with this...

FD3F5B0E-B675-418F-A78C-0356B922BEB8-412-00000006169B9C2F_tmp (resized).pngFD3F5B0E-B675-418F-A78C-0356B922BEB8-412-00000006169B9C2F_tmp (resized).png

#35 7 years ago

I had about 3 arcades at various times in the 80s and 90s within a couple miles of my house, but the most memorable one that you had to drive to was Galaxy world / Brunswick zone in Carol Stream, IL that closed about 4-5 years ago. It's now a Pilot gas station (but google earth hasn't quite updated the building yet)

galaxy_world_news2 (resized).jpggalaxy_world_news2 (resized).jpg
galaxy_world_google_earth (resized).jpggalaxy_world_google_earth (resized).jpg
galaxy_world_token (resized).jpggalaxy_world_token (resized).jpg
galaxy_world_ramp (resized).jpggalaxy_world_ramp (resized).jpg
galaxy_world_pinball (resized).jpggalaxy_world_pinball (resized).jpg

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

If you haven't got a scanner just use the camera on your phone to take pics of the photos.

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

There were also pins at the PNE, with a pretty cool arcade. I only remember Hercules, because it stood out as crap back then too.
I also spent a lot of summer vacations in the Okanagan and played at the sites in Penticton and Osoyoos. Anyone have pics of those? Jive Time was at the Ice Cream parlor. Gorgar and a few others were at the drive-in camp next to the Falcon Motel. The water parks all had games.

Any Canadians remember these spots?

Here are some pics I took of Hercules at the Vancouver PNE back in 2008. I don't think there are any pins there anymore

080830_A2968 (resized).JPG080830_A2968 (resized).JPG

080830_A2983 (resized).JPG080830_A2983 (resized).JPG

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from woz:

Hercules at the Vancouver PNE back in 2008

Been there, played Hercules many times too. The arcade was always fun! By 1999 it was already mostly arcade games and video games.

#39 7 years ago

SS Billiards early 1980's. My Father's Arcade - Rifle Sport upstairs at 6th and Hennepin and earlier picture when it was at 812 Hennepin Ave. Minneapolis.

LTG : )

IMG_0709 (resized).JPGIMG_0709 (resized).JPG

riflesport (resized).jpgriflesport (resized).jpg

ssearly (resized).jpgssearly (resized).jpg

#40 7 years ago

Spaceport, Woodbridge Center Mall, Woodbridge NJ.

02d4648ce4d37b71ce0fd1512c45b858 (resized).jpg02d4648ce4d37b71ce0fd1512c45b858 (resized).jpg

#41 7 years ago

For those of you who know Buddy up in Norton, VA, I'm posting these in salute to him. Buddy (Doughslingers) has been operating games about as long as anyone I've known. And he continues to do a GREAT job of it!

Hope you don't mind Buddy!

arcade 044 (resized).jpgarcade 044 (resized).jpg
arcade 030 (resized).jpgarcade 030 (resized).jpg
arcade 041 (resized).jpgarcade 041 (resized).jpg
arcade 032 (resized).jpgarcade 032 (resized).jpg
arcade 034 (resized).jpgarcade 034 (resized).jpg
arcade 036 (resized).jpgarcade 036 (resized).jpg
arcade 027 (resized).jpgarcade 027 (resized).jpg
arcade 024 (resized).jpgarcade 024 (resized).jpg
arcade 002 (resized).jpgarcade 002 (resized).jpg
arcade 003 (resized).jpgarcade 003 (resized).jpg

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

(There was also an export version called "Troubadour" (and "Harmony"!) (both also obviously by Gottlieb) but this was usually quite specific to Italy)

Wow. Great job, Otaku.

From this distance, it doesn't appear to have the red/yellow ball count blocks crossing the sheet music, so I am leaning towards Sing Along

Thanks!

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

For those of you who know Buddy up in Norton, VA, I'm posting these in salute to him. Buddy (Doughslingers) has been operating games about as long as anyone I've known. And he continues to do a GREAT job of it!
Hope you don't mind Buddy!

Those pictures are a treasure. congratulations and keep them well. You do not know how hard it was for me to find some pictures to this topic !!

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from pabloshootagain:

Those pictures are a treasure. congratulations and keep them well. You do not know how hard it was for me to find some pictures to this topic !!

Thank Buddy for the great pics, I just hord them!

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

Hey young man, really you impressed me with your knowledge. I know, for others message in other topics, you have only 18 , is it true ???
It is hard to believe that someone so young, know much of pinballs, congratulations anyway !!
I am very happy that a young man participates in this topic.
Try to get some pictures to share with us , thanks !!

#46 7 years ago

Here are a few pics I got from a FB tribute page to Sea View Playland and the Barn of Fun Arcade. I used to frequent this arcade in the late 70's and early 80's. I played Asteroids, Steam Shovel, Skee Ball and tons of EM games. Mata Hari and Black Knight were favorites. I think it was torn down in the late 90's early 2000's. Now it is a town park. It is located on Cape Cod, MA

Pins barn of fun (resized).jpgPins barn of fun (resized).jpg

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

You probably won't be able to. I might make a trip to the library or local paper and see if I can find some pics.

Did you mean the Aladdin's Castle ?, the arcade that was in College Mall across from Radio Shack

#48 7 years ago

Florence mall, Florence ky. Name of the place was Tilt. Anyone have pics?

#49 7 years ago

Another thing Buddy did that was quite the class act... he put games in the local county fair... WAY before there was Pinball on a Stick.
Check out that Kiss under the tent! (said he sold the Kiss for $295. My how times change...)

arcade 050 (resized).jpgarcade 050 (resized).jpg
arcade 052 (resized).jpgarcade 052 (resized).jpg
arcade 051 (resized).jpgarcade 051 (resized).jpg
arcade 049 (resized).jpgarcade 049 (resized).jpg

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Spaceport, Woodbridge Center Mall, Woodbridge NJ.

Holy shit - totally forgot about that place!! Great pic. Do you remember the place in the Morris County Mall? Can't remember the name but it was there for ages.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Massapequa, NY
$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 179.00
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Melbourne Beach, FL
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 263 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-was-your-amusement-arcade-in-the-70-and-80%c2%b4s-lets-post-the-pict?hl=tux and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.