(Topic ID: 161595)

How was your Amusement Arcade in the 70 and 80´s ? let's post the pictures here…

By pabloshootagain

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 263 posts
  • 101 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 54 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

GoldMine_9_front (resized).jpg
poelstraat1981 (resized).jpg
FF72793E-C0C1-4042-86EE-E44ED5382F79 (resized).jpeg
3E169C5A-7AD4-4962-B10F-8CD5B7E954CE (resized).jpeg
grandma (resized).jpg
-sega (resized).jpg
image-1 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_15249669527814901 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_15249669748775321 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_15249670105034419 (resized).jpg
30742398_10213898127841078_6438788522307485696_n (resized).jpg
30742035_10213898131401167_1966049222801227776_n (resized).jpg
Arcade (resized).jpg
untitled (resized).png
2653034405_8d1149b29b_o_d (resized).jpg
2015724-ORGAN-GRINDER (resized).jpg
There are 263 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.
#101 7 years ago

i would love to link my fb page to this somehow..have approximately 1,600 photos of pinball, jukes etc in arcades from circa 1920 to 1980..have been collecting old photos like this for the past 20 years.

if i get some time tomorrow will post some up.

#102 7 years ago
Quoted from MrBellMan:

Look at all of the freaking ash trays! Holy crap! LOL!

The arcade I worked in years ago had the ashtrays everywhere. It was almost a full time job just emptying them lol. I smoked for 23 years so it made no difference to me. Funny how back then you really didn't pay any attention to it, but smoking indoors now is so rare when you do see it, you're almost in shock lol.

#103 7 years ago
Quoted from doughslingers:

My dad passed away Oct 21 of a sudden heart attack at 73. I felt blessed to have him in my life especially when he was coding in 2008 from his first heart attack. He survived and had triple bypass surgery this Jan so I got another 10 months with him, from that procedure. Those pics Don Fulltilt posted plus many more I will scan. Here is a few i used my cell.phone from the originals that have really helped me go thru the grief process. I used to "help" change the records on the jukeboxes but they were often dirty so he made me a special outfit to protect from the dirt and grease. He had a real job and we often loaded up a jukebox from home that night to get ready the next day. One of the best parts was trying out the jukebox to see if the record skipped and still worked. To pass the time he would play like he was teaching me to dance. I can really see the love the between us in these pics and I wish all kids had a dad like mine. Thanks Dad for taking the time to show me the business and still teach me it's fun. I believe we are still in the fun business but some days are really hard with customers and locations.
I think the world of Jack at JJP for taking a few minutes to talk about the loss of my dad and not even bring up distributor stuff. I wish you had meet him and everyone who still has a dad please give him a hug. I know death waits for nobody and I am proud to continue in his tradition of doing all we can for our customers and clients. It's not always about making a sell. Sometimes it's fun to just relax and play some pinball or in his heyday pong and a beer.
Just wanted to share as its 2 weeks and I missing him terribly.

That sad news.
I am emotioned that you chose this topic to remember him that way.
I think the best way to remember and honor it is to continue with his work and do it honestly.
And you do !!, all customers spoke highly of you
I like your pics, especially the third !!
Excuse me if my english is not good, It's a bit difficult, for me, to find good words in this situation.
Best for you

#104 7 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Prime arcade years! Unfortunately I never went to Nautilus. For me it was Celebrities or Crystal's Pizza, among other local smaller arcades. Crystals was in Aurora, big place, 2 levels, pizza and arcades games. I believe there were more around the country.

I went to Crystals too! Big place. Had one of my end-of-year soccer banquets there I remember.

#105 7 years ago
Quoted from Scotty78:

The arcade I worked in years ago had the ashtrays everywhere. It was almost a full time job just emptying them lol. I smoked for 23 years so it made no difference to me. Funny how back then you really didn't pay any attention to it, but smoking indoors now is so rare when you do see it, you're almost in shock lol.

I was watching the Green Room on Showtime. It's a comedy talk show on showtime. One episode all of the guests were smoking. It gave me good memories of seeing Johnny Carson smoking on TV. I've never been a smoker.

#106 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I've never been a smoker.

huh (resized).pnghuh (resized).png

#107 7 years ago
Quoted from illawarra92:

i would love to link my fb page to this somehow..have approximately 1,600 photos of pinball, jukes etc in arcades from circa 1920 to 1980..have been collecting old photos like this for the past 20 years.

Hey buddy, 1.600 photos ??? Don't be lazy , do it !! I think you are the man !!

#108 7 years ago
Quoted from illawarra92:

Post a Facebook link or Facebook user name if it's a public page.

#109 7 years ago

Even us nonsmokers can appreciate smoking.

#110 7 years ago
Quoted from Straight_Shooter:

Wizard's World Arcade opened in the summer of 1973. This pic was taken between 1976 & 1979. The arcade added the space of the Skillo in 1980 & remained open through the summer of 2001. The site is now occupied by Serena Restaurant in Pier Village, Long Branch, NJ.

Here are a couple of pin pics a year or two before closing. Still needed several ash trays in 1999.

Monster Bash - Twilight Zone (resized).jpgMonster Bash - Twilight Zone (resized).jpg

Pinball Line_2001 (resized).jpgPinball Line_2001 (resized).jpg

#111 7 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Playland Arcade (State College, PA)
The Pennsylvania State University - University Park Main Campus
1970s, less than decade after opening in 1968.
Closed in 2003.
Operated for 35+ years by my first pinball manager and boss, Gene Steele.

Thanks xTheBlackKnightx for all the great pics of Playland from back in the 70s. Believe it or not, I actually looked closely at the people to see if I might have been in one of the photos.

I had forgotten about the free pizza days, as shown in frame 8. I recall Playland used to have a couple sheets of pizza delivered on Thursdays (probably from Highway pizza) for the customers enjoyment.

I recall there used to be an employee named Jack, who was an older man that usually sat at the change counter and could often be heard to loudly bellow: "quit beating on the machines".

Great stuff. Attached are a couple more pics of Playland from 1977. Sorry for the low Q, but they photos of photos.

IMG_0498 (resized).JPGIMG_0498 (resized).JPG

IMG_0500 (resized).JPGIMG_0500 (resized).JPG

#112 7 years ago

Whoa there's a Allied Leisure Thunderbolt! in that last pic. In '77 that would have been at the very beginning of Solid State.

#113 7 years ago

Those pics were from May 1977 and the digital games had just started showing up, at Playland anyway.
Can't believe I cut off the backglass of the Jacks Open on the end. That is one my favorite EMs.

#114 7 years ago
Quoted from Straight_Shooter:

Here are a couple of pin pics a year or two before closing. Still needed several ash trays in 1999.

The worn carpeting in front of the machines in the second photo is awesome.

#115 7 years ago
Quoted from Beatnik-Filmstar:

The worn carpeting in front of the machines in the second photo is awesome.

Linoleum. You can see the squares.

LTG : )

#116 7 years ago

The only pictures I've ever been able to find of the arcades and my hangout in Atlantic Beach (NC) in the 60's.
It was referred to by all locals as "The Circle".
Absolutely great times and permanent memories.

the circle1 (resized).jpgthe circle1 (resized).jpg
the circle2 (resized).jpgthe circle2 (resized).jpg
the circle3 (resized).jpgthe circle3 (resized).jpg
the circle4 (resized).jpgthe circle4 (resized).jpg

#117 7 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

The only pictures I've ever been able to find of the arcades and my hangout in Atlantic Beach (NC) in the 60's.
It was referred to by all locals as "The Circle".
Absolutely great times and permanent memories.

Hey, there's Gilligan in the first picture!

#118 7 years ago
Quoted from Dooskie:

Hey, there's Gilligan in the first picture!

And that's a 1949 Chicago Coin Midget Skee Ball in the background of those guys playing pool!!!

#119 7 years ago

And there was the "Big Surf" just down from the arcade. I'll never forget seeing Big Brother and the Holding Company on the beach front.
Good beer and good times.

the circle5 (resized).jpgthe circle5 (resized).jpg

#120 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Linoleum. You can see the squares.
LTG : )

2 Lawlor pins have the most play... TAF has #1 wear followed by Earthshaker. I concur.

Dialed In has no wear so far...

#121 7 years ago

The Armstrong vinyl asbestos floor tiles were installed in 1975. A lot of the wear came from Gottlieb electro mechanical pins. Many proto types were tested right there in the late 70s.

#122 7 years ago
Quoted from Runbikeskilee:

Thanks xTheBlackKnightx for all the great pics of Playland from back in the 70s. Believe it or not, I actually looked closely at the people to see if I might have been in one of the photos.
I had forgotten about the free pizza days, as shown in frame 8. I recall Playland used to have a couple sheets of pizza delivered on Thursdays (probably from Highway pizza) for the customers enjoyment.
I recall there used to be an employee named Jack, who was an older man that usually sat at the change counter and could often be heard to loudly bellow: "quit beating on the machines".
Great stuff. Attached are a couple more pics of Playland from 1977. Sorry for the low Q, but they photos of photos.

Thanks for the pictures of Playland, I mentioned them earlier but no pictures. As a 1995 Penn State grad, my memories of that arcade are a little different.

But I'll tell you something, the pinball machines were on that same wall next to the cashier when I was there and that's where I fell in love with World Cup Soccer...and it was those memories of intoxicated, late night pinball that led me to getting my first pin last year.

How cool is that? I can see the spot in that photo that motivated me to build a finished gameroom!

#123 7 years ago

I was 16 in 1975 and remember taking the subway down to Young and Dundas from Don Mills to buy albums and play pinball. I remember hearing Deep Purples's album 'Come Taste the Band' featuring Tommy Bolin in Music world and still have the album. In this picture you can see the Pinball Spot, and up the street is Sam the Record Man. Directly across the street from Sams was The Arcade. Needless to say I would have had the fashionable green checkered lumber jacket and long hair at the time.

201188-yonge10 (resized).jpg201188-yonge10 (resized).jpg

#124 7 years ago

OK, I got no where to put this.

The summer months was also spent by the Rockaway Boardwalk.
I could see the Fireworks from there, while on Atlantic Beach.

I love summer fireworks....it takes me back, and I saw this.

Its a must watch from beginning to end to see the Worlds biggest firework. 576 pounds!

#126 7 years ago

Palisades Amusement Park in Northern New Jersey closed in 1971. Here is a great pic of the B&M Arcade. You can see plenty of 5cent/5ball pins in the back center section. Use to scour my house for 5 pennies & walked to the park to play at least 1 game.

B&M Arcade (resized).jpegB&M Arcade (resized).jpeg

#127 7 years ago

Gameland in Lake Geneva, WI.

I was born in 85 (31 y/o) so missed out on the golden era of arcades. I have a variety of arcade/pinball memories from my childhood, but this place sticks out well. Awesome variety, tons of EM games, and a massive row of pinball I missed. I took these photos when I was 16 (2003) and into MAME/arcades so missed all the pins. Went back in 2008 to find a sign on the door saying it was closed and I missed the auction by a week

More here
http://imgur.com/a/owpw6

g1H1ZrS (resized).jpgg1H1ZrS (resized).jpg

#128 7 years ago
Quoted from illawarra92:

Don´t forget !! It would be a great contribution from you to this topic

#129 7 years ago
Quoted from pabloshootagain:

Don´t forget !! It would be a great contribution from you to this topic

yep haven't forgotten..atm i have my photos all locked..and need to figure out how to make them all public and the rest of my page private..so *may* be easier to just copy some of the photos and post them here..not all 1,600 as i sure don't have time for that

also have about 500 photos from sydney's luna park pre 1978.

#130 7 years ago
Quoted from illawarra92:

yep haven't forgotten..atm i have my photos all locked..and need to figure out how to make them all public and the rest of my page private..so *may* be easier to just copy some of the photos and post them here..not all 1,600 as i sure don't have time for that
also have about 500 photos from sydney's luna park pre 1978.

Yes !! , try copy and paste only some of them. It could be great !!

#131 7 years ago

I love this thread, wish I had some pictures to contribute but I don't. Keep them coming in. Going back to the good old days, bringing up a lot of great memories, when things were just easier not a whole lot of confusion like today. I guess a good way to describe it back then was that our lives were less "cluttered" if you can follow what I am trying to say. Anyway great thread.

#132 7 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

And there was the "Big Surf" just down from the arcade. I'll never forget seeing Big Brother and the Holding Company on the beach front

WOW. What year was that??? I bet there are a ton of people that frequent this site that has no idea who or what that is. Your showing your age. If you saw them on the beach while drinking beer you must be older than me, I was in my teens when that band was big. More great memories. Must have been one hell of a concert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#133 7 years ago
Quoted from henhel:

I love this thread, wish I had some pictures to contribute but I don't. Keep them coming in. Going back to the good old days, bringing up a lot of great memories, when things were just easier not a whole lot of confusion like today. I guess a good way to describe it back then was that our lives were less "cluttered" if you can follow what I am trying to say. Anyway great thread.

Yes my friend you are right !
Yes, that was the goal of this thread, try to revive those good times.
I'm glad you like it, more photos will come....

#134 7 years ago
Quoted from henhel:

WOW. What year was that??? I bet there are a ton of people that frequent this site that has no idea who or what that is. Your showing your age. If you saw them on the beach while drinking beer you must be older than me, I was in my teens when that band was big. More great memories. Must have been one hell of a concert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I'm probably showing my age. It would have been somewhere in the early 70's, post Joplin. It was still a GREAT show with many of the old favorites. That was the only rock club on the beach. Everywhere else at the time was beach music and soul.

#135 7 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

Gameland in Lake Geneva, WI.

Awesome, a whole row of cabarets/minis in the wild! I have 2 of those in my collection.

#136 7 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Awesome, a whole row of cabarets/minis in the wild! I have 2 of those in my collection.

Yea I didn't even know at the time. The Robotron is extremely rare.

#137 7 years ago

okay..have made all my old arcade photos public on my fb page, ther are about 1,600 and copied all the ones in this thread..search tony mather and look for this excellent profile photo from 30 years ago

12705485_1248258651867604_4157492262621305270_n(5) (resized).jpg12705485_1248258651867604_4157492262621305270_n(5) (resized).jpg

#138 7 years ago
Quoted from illawarra92:

okay..have made all my old arcade photos public on my fb page, ther are about 1,600 and copied all the ones in this thread..search tony mather and look for this excellent profile photo from 30 years ago

Haha, you have a sweet profile photo.
I think in that picture you were flying to Jupiter !!!
In a while I'll see your FB, thanks a lot for your time

#139 7 years ago
Quoted from pabloshootagain:

Haha, you have a sweet profile photo.
I think in that picture you were flying to Jupiter !!!
In a while I'll see your FB, thanks a lot for your time

Holy smokes, what a great bunch of pictures!

#140 7 years ago
Quoted from illawarra92:

Hi Tony !! Awesome collection !!
Today I spent a long time enjoying your photos and I still have not finished, I still have to see a lot of pics, I'm sure it will take me awhile.
I really appreciate you made it public on facebook, thumb up for you !! Pablo

#141 7 years ago
Quoted from illawarra92:

Thanks for sharing all those wonderful photos - amazing!

#142 7 years ago
Quoted from illawarra92:

Long post but:

Wow. I am looking through these in awe. I was not born until 1998 so it very weird looking back on all of these times before I existed and thinking of where all of those machines are today, knowing all of those buildings are now vacant if not destroyed, and so many people in these photographs that could be anywhere right now. Mostly the machines. This really makes me wish I could see where all of my collection has been, "if only they could talk". So many different machines, so many different stories.

I've always had these weird distant deja vu-feeling memories of my early life that I can't remember when the 80's stuff was still decently prevalent (or at least it seemed that way to me, the world was also a much different place already, not only from a child's perspective but looking back now) and a lot of these are sending that through the roof, along with early memories of growing up in outdated campgrounds with arcades similar to a lot of those in the pictures. Love it. Thanks so much for uploading!

Since I wasn't alive back then and with the modernization of things like having these forums, pinball shows, reproduction parts, etc., I find that it is sometimes easy forget the coolest part of all about these machines and that is the history. It's really hard to explain, like the history (who made it, what year, how many were made, "it's old") is always really apparent of course because we always talk about it, but the actual history of where these machines have been and their stories is something I find that passes me by sometimes for some reason, probably because I wasn't there. Like I can go down in my basement and look at my games and know they're old and lived their lives out there in the world and can *think* about where they've been, but then you look back at these old pictures, evidence of the times, and you see one of the titles you own and it all really just kind of puts it into perspective and I find it very fascinating. Everybody focuses on the history of what happened at the factory and who made what game and whatnot, but I think the more exciting part is what came after that, each machine has it's own unique story of where it has been and most of them are unknown. They are all truly survivors and they sure had a long journey. Really makes me appreciate them even more.

We all try to discuss which machine is the best and what reproduction playfield is coming out next and how iconic machines like Atlantis or Eldorado or Fathom or Funhouse are and how great they are in a collection, and I find it very fascinating how they were all just out there doing their thing long before any of this even mattered, long before this whole collecting thing we have, before any of this was relevant, so long ago. When I think "Atlantis", naturally I think "very popular 70's wedgehead on 2016 modern-day Pinside" before "1975" because it's what I'm most familiar with, while picturing it in somebody's basement or at a show rather than picturing it in a candy shop or arcade. Although the history and age is still obviously apparent, it is nice to switch it around a little and think of the roots rather than the times I'm familiar with and actually lived in, which are the times of today, filled with pinball shows and pinball parties in the homes of collectors. I suppose in a way *right now* is my 1975 or 1985 or whatever for you guys.

The whole popular culture thing is cool too, seeing what is now a niche hobby once cover the world as a very normal part of society - and now those same exact machines that were in those coffee shops and candy stores and arcades are now in our homes. Fantastic.

I'm gonna shut my trap now before I start to sound insane. Most of you are here because your main pinball experience was back then, but mine is a little backwards so sometimes I tend to ramble as I try to describe what I'm feeling, hah. 90% of my glory days of pinball and pinball playing were spent right here in the hobbyist culture enjoying yesterday's show or home pinball party and it's mostly all I know, so discovering just how big and mainstream it once was is a very cool thing and I am glad all of this was able to be documented.

#143 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

...It's really hard to explain, like the history (who made it, what year, how many were made, "it's old") is always really apparent of course because we always talk about it, but the actual history of where these machines have been and their stories is something I find that passes me by sometimes for some reason, probably because I wasn't there. Like I can go down in my basement and look at my games and know they're old and lived their lives out there in the world and can *think* about where they've been, but then you look back at these old pictures, evidence of the times, and you see one of the titles you own and it all really just kind of puts it into perspective and I find it very fascinating. Everybody focuses on the history of what happened at the factory and who made what game and whatnot, but I think the more exciting part is what came after that, each machine has it's own unique story of where it has been and most of them are unknown. They are all truly survivors and they sure had a long journey. Really makes me appreciate them even more.

I feel this way about games of the 1950s and 60s, that were before my time...

#144 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

Long post but:

I'm gonna shut my trap now before I start to sound insane.

We've seen your pinball machine collection, so sorry, that ship has already sailed.

#145 7 years ago
Quoted from Dooskie:

We've seen your pinball machine collection, so sorry, that ship has already sailed.

At least I'm not alone!

The edited words of Billy Joel: I'd rather laugh with the pinball lunatics than cry with the saints!

#146 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

At least I'm not alone!
The edited words of Billy Joel: I'd rather laugh with the pinball lunatics than cry with the saints!

You are in very good company.

#147 7 years ago

This thread just keeps on giving. Such a great thread. Keep the pictures and stories coming I am totally enjoying it and I am sure a lot of us are.

#148 7 years ago
Quoted from henhel:

This thread just keeps on giving. Such a great thread. Keep the pictures and stories coming I am totally enjoying it and I am sure a lot of us are.

You are welcome !! Enjoy it like all of us.
In these days I have friends who are trying to find old pics of those times to upload them here. We will see...., wish me luck !!

#149 7 years ago

Because of some family health issues, I'm heading back to Bremerton next month, and will be there for an extended period. My intention is to see if any of the old arcades are still around. I will send pictures if they are.

#150 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

OK, I got no where to put this.
The summer months was also spent by the Rockaway Boardwalk.
I could see the Fireworks from there, while on Atlantic Beach.
I love summer fireworks....it takes me back, and I saw this.
Its a must watch from beginning to end to see the Worlds biggest firework. 576 pounds!
» YouTube video

The best place to enjoy a fireworks show in Florida is at the beach. I was at St. Pete for my first and my second was at Amelia Island.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Melbourne Beach, FL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 99.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
There are 263 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-was-your-amusement-arcade-in-the-70-and-80%C2%B4s-lets-post-the-pict/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.