• 20 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Jappie
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Hi,

I am dealing with a Segasa Sonic Hang-On pinball machine. The seller wants to trade with my Demolition Man.

It seems that these machines are not very popular, I can´t find too much information about Segasa on google.

I am trying to find out how much more worth my Demolition Man is, compared to Hang-On? Anybody with a clue? It doesn´t have to be in currency, it can be in percentage i.e. Demolition Man is 1,5 times more valueable than Hang-On, or something like that.

Maybe it is just a big no-no to make this trade. Is Segasa totaly crap, or...?

Thank you in advance!

#2 4 years ago

Very rare pin... not much info at all . Looks to have some neat ramp and wireform shots tho.

#3 4 years ago

It's rare.. so there isn't an agreed value, it's more what you think it's worth.
If you collect rare pins and need this last one to complete your sonic collection, you may value it much more..
if you're a player and just want something new or fun to play, you may value it less.

Personally I wouldn't trade a demo man for this.
Hang On looks like it could be a system 11 game, I wouldn't trade it for a wpc game.
Also the Sonic has all special boards, if something fails you may have a big problem to have it repaired / replaced..
if something fails on your demoman you can fix it as all parts are available..

#4 4 years ago

Interesting Sega Hang-On ripoff.

#5 4 years ago

It is not a rip off, I think Sega and Segasa is the same thing?

#7 4 years ago

Personally, I wouldn't do a trade like that. At most, I think the hang-on could be valued at around $1200-$1500 if it's in working order and good condition, mainly just because of rarity.

If you do actually want the game, also ask for cash as part of the trade. I don't think it would be an even swap.

#8 4 years ago

https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=4128

This game? Hard pass unless you are looking to collect odd ball games.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from ravve:

It is not a rip off, I think Sega and Segasa is the same thing?

Segasa is not the same as Sega. Sonic is a Spanish company that put out a lot of questionable titles in the 80s/90s

#10 4 years ago

Yes it is the game that Chitownpinball links to. I am not looking to collect odd machines, I just want something new for a while and I will sureley trade it with something else in a while. Hm the only concern I have is how worth it is compared to Demolition Man, and if the thing breaks, how hard will it be to fins spare parts etc.

#11 4 years ago

I suggest you play the game before getting too excited. There where several different Spanish games at the Chicago expo this year. Very awesome that the show organizer brought them to share!!
In my opinion they had really cool looking layouts and artwork, but where very clunky. Plus the ball moved weird because of the plastic playfields. Felt cheap to me.

I agree with ForceFlow and aeneas
See if you can get a better deal than a straight up trade. If you get a better deal AND the game fully works, I would go for it. You can buy another Demoman anytime; Hang-On probably won't come up again.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from ravve:

ust want something new for a while and I will sureley trade it with something else in a while.

The fun factor is probably nowhere near the same. Hang-on looks like a fairly simple game. I'm not sure it would hold your attention for very long.

Quoted from ravve:

and if the thing breaks, how hard will it be to fins spare parts etc.

It probably uses some standard parts, but there are going to be a lot of segasa-specific parts you might not be able to easily obtain.

#13 4 years ago

Worth about half dm on a good day

#14 4 years ago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega,_S.A._SONIC

Segasa-Sonic WAS in fact related to Sega of Japan.

Segasa-Sonic did not put out any games in the 90s (according to ipdb)

#15 4 years ago

Unless you have evidence of a recent sale or a buyer lined up with an offer, it's hard to put a price on a rare title.

From the looks of that game, though, I wouldn't value it even close to DM.

#16 4 years ago

Major downgrade from DM. You should sell the DM and just buy the game if you want, but you may have trouble selling it later.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Major downgrade from DM.

#18 4 years ago

DM is way much better then this pin,Yes it is rare but not worth the trade

#19 4 years ago

It would suck to trade and then have the game break. As mentioned earlier, I assume finding boards and parts is impossible as I can barely find a photo of it on google.

3 months later
#20 3 years ago

A bit late to the party, but here's a short story and my opinion.

The story
I faintly remember playing Sonic's Hang-On pinball machine. It was the early 90's, I was about 10-12 years old. The location was a small arcade in Malgrat de Mar, on the sun-drenched Costa Brava. Pinball was everywhere on the Spanish coastline at that time period, mostly the now famous WPC titles like Funhouse and The Addams Family. And I loved it. I was a kid and just wanted to play them all.

The arcade with the Hang-On was in a more quiet spot in the village. It was quite rundown and clearly not popular enough to be able to buy the newer fancy machines. Their pinball line-up consisted of Hang-On, Star Wars (the 1987 version, also from the Sonic brand) and two older American machines, probably Williams System 11's. One of them might have been Big Guns, I'm not sure.

I remember being intrigued seeing the two machines, as I had never seen them before. I also remember, when playing them, that the Hang-On and Star Wars both felt very unfair compared to the other two machines. Ball speed was crazy and unpredictable, the flipper gap felt too big and ball times were extremely short. I also didn't feel that making the shots made anything spectacular happen. Today I'd say that the software was extremely barebones.

I think I played one game on both Sonics and feeling that was more than enough. I rather put my valuable Pesetas in something that felt like a honest and fun game of pinball. Today, I would play it more, just for its rarity.

My opinion
If collecting extremely rare titles is your thing, Hang-On might be interesting. Hang-On is a pin that most people, even pinheads, will never see, play or even know about. But: the rarity is the only thing in which it tops Demolition Man. DM is a far, far better game in every other aspect.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-un-common-is-this?hl=misterschu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.