(Topic ID: 159551)

How to wire my Lambo lighting

By Mr_Tantrum

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Okay, on a whim I purchased a die cast Lambo for my Getaway HS2 pin. The car comes with lights and sound whenever you press down on it or open a door. It uses 3 1.5V cell batteries in series which I assume equates to 4.5V. So my questions are this:

- Can I wire it strait into the GI lighting or will the 6V (or whatever GI is) blow the LEDs in the car (FYI, my pin has all LEDs)?
- If I need to get down to 4.5V how do I do it (while I am fairly handy with a soldiering iron, my electronics knowledge is minimal). Do I need to solder in a resistor or something?
- Can I just soldier strait onto the battery leads?
- Right now you must press down on the car or open door to enable temporary light. I am assuming I can figure out how to bypass this and just have it light up all the time? Anyone with experience on this with similar toy?

Any other advice/directions from those of you who have done similar before?

#2 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Okay, on a whim I purchased a die cast Lambo for my Getaway HS2 pin. The car comes with lights and sound whenever you press down on it or open a door. It uses 3 1.5V cell batteries in series which I assume equates to 4.5V. So my questions are this:
- Can I wire it strait into the GI lighting or will the 6V (or whatever GI is) blow the LEDs in the car (FYI, my pin has all LEDs)?

No, you can't. Car operates on 5V (~4.75) DC. Game GI is AC. It will likely destroy the car.

Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

- If I need to get down to 4.5V how do I do it (while I am fairly handy with a soldiering iron, my electronics knowledge is minimal). Do I need to solder in a resistor or something?

No, you need to find a 5VDC source to tap into. I would suggest a PC power supply plugged into the service outlet. When you start loading stuff on the 5V rail, things can start going wonky.

Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

- Can I just soldier strait onto the battery leads?

Yes. But use flux to make it easier and faster.

Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

- Right now you must press down on the car or open door to enable temporary light. I am assuming I can figure out how to bypass this and just have it light up all the time? Anyone with experience on this with similar toy?
Any other advice/directions from those of you who have done similar before?

There must be a switch for the door, and maybe a second one for pressing the whole car. They are probably going to be very small and easily damaged. You could bypass that switch with a jumper.

However, I would be sorely tempted to add a switch to the playfield and hook it up in parallel with the car's switch(es) so that it turns on from a shot on the playfield.

#3 7 years ago

Well, great feedback. Unfortunately, when I received the car it was damaged so I sent it back. Now, based upon your feedback, I am rethinking my whole approach. Maybe a different non-lit care where I can just add my own AC LEDs to it.

#4 7 years ago

We have some products for Matrix in the works that would help this, if you have can wait.

First is an AC to DC Magic Box converter.
GI Bulb with Matrix lead, box, output DC.

The second re Matrix Micro lights, like you see in Models, also plug and play, bright lights at first.
But they can be dimmed.
These should allow an always on light creation from GI, and additional lights, feature lit from Inserts.
As well as Matrix 12V Flasher connections too!

All are in Proto-type, samples flying back and forth, getting production and release, as soon as I can.

Art

#5 7 years ago

You could try a DK pinball power tap, safe way to add a 5/12 volt power source for that and future mods too. Available from pinball life

#6 7 years ago

1/2 wave rectify a GI lamp connection and use 3vDC to power it. That may be enough juice for it.

All you would need is 2 pieces of wire going to either side of a GI bulb socket and a rectifier diode for that. If you need instructions, lemme know and I'll draw up a diagram for you. This is how LED bulbs work.
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/experiments/chpt-5/half-wave-rectifier/

2 weeks later
#7 7 years ago

Just went with LED strip light in cab of car for now. Looks good, but I may attempt more detail at a later time. Thanks for everyone's input and ideas.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 72.50
$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, ON
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

5,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fontana, CA
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,025 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-wire-my-lambo-lighting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.