20150920_123558.jpg
beavis-butthead-mtv.jpg
Bingo.jpg
100_3161.JPG
100_3158.JPG
100_3157.JPG
coil resistance chart.gif
a-11336.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flashinstinct.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Hi gang,
I know it sounds strange but the goalie striker coil on my WCS that is feeding the wire ramp is shooting the ball all over the place, it comes out firing like a bat out of hell and doesn't stay on the ramp. I've looked and it's the right coil.

So my question is..how do you weaken a coil? Do you put a stronger spring? or is there spomething overcharging the coil? Any troubleshooting tips would help.

Cheers.

#4 9 years ago

Thanks for the tips I'll take a look.

#12 9 years ago

Ok so I took a look and the coil sleeve was shot to hell. Suprised I didn't see it in the first place. Coil itself look brand new, there is nothing esthectically wrong with it. No gunk stuck. After changing, the coil still fires like crazy. Ramp seems to b e in the right place at the right angle. The ball is coming out so quick that it;s not making the first curve and dumping itself in the right ramp.

#21 9 years ago

Here is a video. Maybe the ramp is the culprit?

#23 9 years ago

Both rails are even. And yes the ball leaves right at the top curve. But the ball is really going fast.

#26 9 years ago

I just got this game. I had been looking for a while for it and couldn't find one local (within 700km). So i did the thing you shouldn't do and bought it through video feed and pictures...and the guys word that everything was working. DMD is showing signs of gassing out (early stages), the ramp is an issue, the GI as an issue, the wiring is hacked to shit. I've got a credit dot which I will have to figure out and a missing speaker panel (that was my fault...never saw it) The only consolation I have in all of this is that I will now have to learn how to change IDC sockets to Molex and change some headers if anyone has a video tutorial on the subject that would be awesome too.

#33 9 years ago

This might sound stupid but I'm really a newbie when it comes to resistance and the entire electronic side of pinball. I get that a coil needs to be higher than 4ohms to be good. but when it comes to mensurements I'm a total newb. A bit of guidance would be helpful. When you say factory coil specs...where do I find those?

#36 9 years ago

Resistance in coil measured 4.1 - 4.2...according to chart it should be 4.2 So coil is good.

#39 9 years ago

ok now I'm going to sound like a total newbie and will have wasted everyone else time if this turns out to be true. Can I adjust the coil bracket to the ball pooper sub assmbly. There is wiggle room on the bracket to bring the coil up or down. I always had to put them tight on other games. If I bring the bracket down the ball goes down the ramp just fine. But then the coil as some wiggle room....

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

According to the manual, it shouldn't be 4.2 (or 4.1). I'd suggest you download a manual and make sure you have the correct coil installed.
http://ipdb.org/

again total newb. I ahve to manual in front of me...you wouldn't to know the page?

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

If you want to repair games, you need to know how to read a manual. Open it up and have a look. I could give you the page number, but what would you learn from that? I might as well come over and fix it for you.
Here's a hint: The coil is called the Goal Popper coil.

LOL. I know how to read a lamp matrix and the solenoid flasher charts and where to located them on the boards but when it comes to finding the resisntace and the wiring schematics... a little guidance would be nice.

#45 9 years ago

I'm missing the little grommet at the bottom of the bracket The armature is currently touching the bracket.

#50 9 years ago

I ordered the grommets will wait once thy get here.

2 weeks later
#56 9 years ago

Problem is gettin gthe parts. If I order just the damned grommets it cost me $12 buck in shipping so I need to wait until I have an inventor of parts to buy

#58 9 years ago

did that too....Home depot and lowes didn't carry anything like it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Plantsville, CT
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 26.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

4,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Balt, MD
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 8.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flashinstinct.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-weaken-a-coil?tu=flashinstinct and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.