• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190218_235013 (resized).jpg
20190218_234920 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

I've got this Heavy Metal Meltdown that turned out to be prototype spec (drop target blocking ramp, Bally Midway cab art and a few other details).

It's very likely that my machine is the only surviving proto spec HMM out there with intact mechs.
I've spent the last 3 years getting new ROMs programmed to make these features work (long story, but the proto ROMs are lost).
And finally, I've just restored the cab, shopped the entire pin, added new ramp, legs, glass etc...

Here's my thread on the entire adventure if you're interesed:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-proto-heavy-metal-meltdown-adventure

But.... what's this thing worth?
I've had my fun with it and I'm ready to sell; and it's about as nice an example as I've ever seen.... but it's still a Bally 6803.

These don't normally sell for much more than $1K in routed original condition, but I have to think this is an exception, right?

If I'm playing devil's advocate:

-This is a one-of-a-kind collector's piece
-It's in awesome shape
-It has custom code specifically made for this example
-All new repro ramps by Freeplay40
-New glass, legs, siderails, rubber etc...
-Cabinet and topper restored with custom made decals
-Custom proto drop targets I comissioned from PBR
-Awesome music theme
-These never come up for sale (proto or otherwise)

I appreciate any advice/opinions

20190218_234920 (resized).jpg20190218_234920 (resized).jpg

20190218_235013 (resized).jpg20190218_235013 (resized).jpg

#2 5 years ago

Slap a $65,000 price tag on it and wait for the offers to roll in...

#3 5 years ago

Well, certainly more than $1000 but I don’t think you’re paying off the house or anything.

#4 5 years ago

Do I have to say it? Its only worth what somebody is willing to pay for it. To get top dollar, you could put it at auction and hope that 2 or more folks are dying to have it. Honestly, I think all the resto parts and overall condition are going to carry more weight to a buyer than the fact it is a prototype. Personally, if I was looking to buy this game I think it worth about $1700 tops...but the inside better be as good as the outside to make that figure.

#5 5 years ago

Set up a poll with say $2000 increments and see where the opinions on price sit.
-Mike

#6 5 years ago

Every proto has to be evaluated case by case. Desirable games, or Porto’s with major desirable differences over production models, and if both, this drives additional value over the standard run game. Unfortunately HMM, or any 6803 game is not very desirable. Generally something like this would make a game a little easier to sell, but not drive value.

Generally speaking WPC games that are proto are most desirable. Or games like an EM Evel Knievel would be another with significant value differences. But not HMM.

#7 5 years ago

2500 give or take.

4500 top for the collector that has to have it

#8 5 years ago

Well the Toronto market is crazy to begin with. It’s hard to find ANYTHING for under $1000; even EM projects. $2500USD is well over $3k cdn, and I’d be shocked if it went for less locally.

It’s not a $10 000 The Getaway. But it’s worth more then the average 6803 game.

#9 5 years ago

Most don't care about if a machine is a prototype or not in their collection, very few do. Few in this hobby really care about something being rare or not either.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

Most don't care about if a machine is a prototype or not in their collection, very few do.

Oh C' Mon there are like 10 dudes that care about this stuff!

I would use it as trade bait(list for $1) and see what you can get for it. Like people said-value is in the eye of beholder

#11 5 years ago

Thanks Guys,
I'm not interested in any sort of auction or trying to soak every last cent ouf the the thing... but I do want to be fair.

Quoted from Whysnow:

2500 give or take.
4500 top for the collector that has to have it

This is pretty close to what I was imagining. I figured about $3K USD ($4K CAD) would be in line.

I'd pay $1K for an unshopped working original, and I'd probably pay $2K for a restored example. So, is having a working proto on top of that worth another $1K? I hope so. But either way, it'll have to be someone who's a real fan of the game.

To be fair, it's not JUST about the rarity. Having that drop target blocking the ramp adds a whole different level of difficulty to the machine.
I think it turns an othewise simple/easy pin into something that has a bit more dimension to it.

#12 5 years ago

I think a very nice one would probably bring close to 2K... So, use that as a starting point. I've been casually looking for this title for a few years and followed your thread. It's cool that you got the drop working but, in order to get top dollar for this game, you will need to find the player who loves the game (not this player) and will probably have to ship it. I'd be willing to suggest that someone with a decent DMD game would probably trade you for it but obviously, you have to be super patient with a trade. A 2-3K trade could be possible to the right person that is tired of their DMD game.

On a somewhat related note, Dirty Harry sample machines with the drop do command a premium, over a standard nice DH. There is however, a more specific market for HMM so it could take a lot more time to find the right buyer.

#13 5 years ago

well since pinside doesn't have a bid feature, why not (dare I say) use Ebay? Set a reserve that you are comfortable and see what happens? GL

#14 5 years ago

I'm not a fan of setting up a pinball auction. EBay or otherwise. I may bring the machine to Allentown and put it for sale on the show floor.
I just wanted to gauge what a fair asking price might be... without going overboard.
Maybe I'll stick it in the marketplace too.

Thanks

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from Procrastinator:

Slap a $65,000 price tag on it and wait for the offers to roll in...

You forgot not being able to properly answer questions about the machine too!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

2,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, OH

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-value-a-prototype?hl=boat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.