Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by wendyb
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

hello just aquired an 8 ball deluxe 1981 and want to know how it is possible ti get better sound, Has anyone attempted this, would just replcing the stock speakers be an option? can you share sources for new speakers please>
    thank you

#2 3 years ago
    Quoted from wendyb:

hello just aquired an 8 ball deluxe 1981 and want to know how it is possible ti get better sound, Has anyone attempted this, would just replcing the stock speakers be an option? can you share sources for new speakers please>
    thank you

You didn’t update us in your other thread. I assume you must have gotten it working. Was the issue simply turning on the power switch after all?

#3 3 years ago

yes, i was a doy doy, I found the on/off switch and there is light and sound, I have order a digital Levant to get it level on the tiles game room floor. i also found this video on YouTube by Hurry up Pinball

lok very cool, i ordered the parts , (there will be a lot of leftover stuff, but I am sure I will use it for stuff,) I might add it into my truck if I get and adapter to the 12 cig lighter) anyway and this will my first mod to this machine, I am brand new to pinball machines, I of course enjoyed playing them occasionally back in the day before Covid, in my area, there are no pinball, darts, pool, bowling, or any other games available to the public because of Covid. I did download the game manual from the machine database here, and a i am going to put it through the diagnostic test described in the manual to see if it it all working properly, the machine says 3 ball, when it starts, I think when I skimmed through the manual there were some adjustments available regarding this setting, i want to explore all the different setting available to this game. I am not really a wire head, but I have the desire to learn about the way a pinball machine is made. cheers!

#4 3 years ago

Good luck. I'm recently new to the hobby as well and have been enjoying it very much. There are a lot of good people on here and they are very helpful. A word of advice would be to be specific when asking about something. The more details the better. Pictures are required sometimes and helps a lot. Would love to see some pics of your pin by the way. Lol. I have a thread where I've been working through stuff and fixing or replacing stuff here and there. I've looked at a few 8-Ball Deluxe and that machine looks fun. Again good luck and welcome!

#5 3 years ago

There isn’t much improvement to be had if your sound is working and the speakers are good. The game uses 40 year old tech and by today’s standards it’s very tinny.

Flipper Fidelity makes some great stuff. You might send them an email and ask for suggestions. https://flipperfidelity.com/parts-and-diy/speakers/

#6 3 years ago

I'm not sure if it's related to your issue but you want to make sure the game is set to full sound effects with background sounds. If your game is set to basic chimes you might find it a bit lame.

The type of sound effects are controlled by a software setting. Press the little red switch inside the coin door until you get the number 18 displayed in the Ball in Play window. You'll need to press the little red switch about 23 times to get there with a 1 second wait between presses.
    If the player displays all show '00' at item 18 then the game is set to basic chimes. Press the credit button until the player displays show a value of '03'. Once done, power off and back on.

FYI, the little red switch inside the coin door allows you to go into diagnostic modes, then onto audits and finally game software settings. Details are in the manual.

#7 3 years ago

As mentioned, the sound was never great. But if the sound board still has the original electrolytic capacitors, it can sometimes make a noticeable difference replacing those. I recommend it for every S&T board with original caps. Cheap 'upgrade', easy to do and gets them back to the original rough sound.

#8 3 years ago

Maybe just replacing the old speaker with one of same ohm rating but which is two way or three way? I had a leftover cabinet speaker from my '94 Jackbot after I upgraded all the speakers in it and swapped it into my Black Knight. It was a better speaker than the original with same mount holes but much larger magnet and I think it improved it a little.

#9 3 years ago

Just get a new cheap $10 speaker and put it in.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from wendyb:

yes, i was a doy doy, I found the on/off switch and there is light and sound, I have order a digital Levant to get it level on the tiles game room floor. i also found this video on YouTube by Hurry up Pinball lok very cool, i ordered the parts , (there will be a lot of leftover stuff, but I am sure I will use it for stuff,) I might add it into my truck if I get and adapter to the 12 cig lighter) anyway and this will my first mod to this machine, I am brand new to pinball machines, I of course enjoyed playing them occasionally back in the day before Covid, in my area, there are no pinball, darts, pool, bowling, or any other games available to the public because of Covid. I did download the game manual from the machine database here, and a i am going to put it through the diagnostic test described in the manual to see if it it all working properly, the machine says 3 ball, when it starts, I think when I skimmed through the manual there were some adjustments available regarding this setting, i want to explore all the different setting available to this game. I am not really a wire head, but I have the desire to learn about the way a pinball machine is made. cheers!

Did you ever make these playfield lights? Curious how they look if you did. I'm thinking about building them myself. If I had a new game I would consider Pinstadium lights but too expensive for a game otherwise in my eyes.

1 week later
    #11 3 years ago
    Quoted from Menthelm:

Did you ever make these playfield lights? Curious how they look if you did. I'm thinking about building them myself. If I had a new game I would consider Pinstadium lights but too expensive for a game otherwise in my eyes.

i did , i finished the under glass lights project, with the left over led strip i am going to add under the cabinet lights , I will need to get a one more 5 pin y splitter to have another lead to tap into with the power supply i got for the under glass light project. Right now I am sewing a cover for the machine, the first one i make will be just to get the measurements and the pattern right, using fabric I have on hand, then I [;an to scout around for a much cooler print fabric for the final one. i am not familiar with pinstadium lights, but i will look them up now, one thing i learned about these led strip lights is they have some you can sync music to, that is something I plan to try in the future..pics to follow,,

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-upgrade-the-sound-in-1981-bally-5ball-deluxe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.