Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Broohaha
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2017-01-21 at 3.07.27 PM (resized).png
    #1 9 years ago

Hello, I'm a complete noob and for some reason when I try to download the new Star Trek code, it won't register when I try to update the pinball's software. Is there a step I missed? Should I have unzipped the bin? I looked everywhere and can't find info.

#2 9 years ago

Unzip the bin to the root directory of the USB drive and it should find it.

#3 9 years ago

Here is a video JimBOSS made on the process:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/-SOMDKTa_yQ

#4 9 years ago

When I unzipped the bin it turned into a .cpgz file. I tried unzipping it but it kept popping up with different suffixes. What should I do now?

#5 9 years ago

You don't want to unzip the .BIN file, as that is the game code. Unzip the BIN to the drive, that is the file that should be used by the machine.

Brad

#6 9 years ago

I don't know what you mean. I can't find a BIN file anywhere, all I have is a .BIN and a .cpgz.

#7 9 years ago

Your file may have been corrupted. I would download it once again then see if the same thing happens. Here are some other possibilities:

http://osxdaily.com/2013/02/13/open-zip-cpgz-file/

Brad

#8 9 years ago

1) Download the code, should have .BIN as file type
    2) Make sure you have a USB drive formatted as FAT32 (default) and copy BIN file to it.
    3) With game on, open your backbox and locate the bank of dip switches. Change switch 8 (the top one) to ON.
    4) Hit the white button above the dip switches to reboot the game
    5) Hit the SELECT button (black button inside coin door)
    6) Hit SELECT again when prompted
    7) Insert USB drive into USB slot on CPU board
    8) Follow prompts to run the update.
    9) Remove USB drive
    10) Set switch 8 back to OFF
    11) hit SELECT to reboot the game (or power cycle the game)

#9 9 years ago

Alright, I used a different flash drive and the code popped up. Thanks for helping!

#10 9 years ago

Thanks for the update! I am glad to hear you got it resolved. Take care and enjoy the new code!

Brad

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

1) Download the code, should have .BIN as file type
    2) Make sure you have a USB drive formatted as FAT32 (default) and copy BIN file to it.
    3) With game on, open your backbox and locate the bank of dip switches. Change switch 8 (the top one) to ON.
    4) Hit the white button above the dip switches to reboot the game
    5) Hit the SELECT button (black button inside coin door)
    6) Hit SELECT again when prompted
    7) Insert USB drive into USB slot on CPU board
    Follow prompts to run the update.
    9) Remove USB drive
    10) Set switch 8 back to OFF
    11) hit SELECT to reboot the game (or power cycle the game)

Did my first update yesterday as well. I was surprised that I could not find instructions on Stern's website.

I flip the dip switch and put in the usb with the power off. Booted up and followed the directions. The game asks you if you want to scan the file. If you are having issues with the file, you might want to do that and make sure it is not corrupted.

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from Kineticross:

Alright, I used a different flash drive and the code popped up. Thanks for helping!

I had the same issue first time I went to update a Stern. It turned out to be the format of my thumb drive.
    I was able to fix that by formatting it in Fat32. Yes, Fat32 will limit the size of your thumb drive, but there is plenty of space for an update.

format /FS:FAT32 X: X is the drive letter your computer mounted the drive as.

So if the drive came up as E: (assuming you have C:\ as main drive, D:\ as dvd-cd drive, then e would come next)

You would type everything in these quotes except the quotes "format /FS:FAT32 e:"

#13 9 years ago

Point of clarification here, Brads instructions here are for Mac. JFH explains it for Windows.

Quoted from jellikit:

Your file may have been corrupted. I would download it once again then see if the same thing happens. Here are some other possibilities:
    http://osxdaily.com/2013/02/13/open-zip-cpgz-file/
    Brad

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jasontaps:

Point of clarification here, Brads instructions here are for Mac. JFH explains it for Windows.

Thanks for making note of that, I was looking at the general idea of corruption of the file creating the extension so I didn't even pay attention to the OS! DOH!

Brad

1 year later
    #15 7 years ago

Hello all,

I'm trying to update the code on my Metallica Premium from 1.64 to 1.70. I downloaded the code from Stern's website. It is a zip file named MTL17LE.BIN. It appears I'm having trouble unzipping it since whenever I try to do that by double clicking the file or using Unarchiver it creates a file with the name MTL17LE.BIN.cpgz which also appears to be a zip file. I placed the original file (MTL17LE.BIN) into a properly FAT32 formatted USB thumb drive. It's the only file on the drive and it's in the root directory. I went through the recommended updating steps, switching dip switch 8 to the on position ect. The update process stops at the point where it tells me to insert a USB drive into the machine, even though it is already there. It's like the machine isn't recognizing the USB drive, maybe because it has that zip file. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. By the way I'm using a less than 1 years old Mac to download the file.

The USB drive is brand new. I used it earlier today to update GB Premium from 1.05 to 1.13 and everything went smoothly for that update.

Thanks for any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong. My ignorance is vast on this.

#16 7 years ago

When you're at the point that it asks for a USB drive either unplug it and plug it back in, or wait and insert it at that point. Could be that simple. Be sure to delete the GB image so only MET in on there. If all else fails, try another USB stick.

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from JJHLH:

Thanks for any suggestions

If I have a zipped file, I put it on my desktop ( PC ) left click once, then right click and a menu comes up. I pick extract all to and pick the USB stick and send it there.

LTG : )

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from Leeb18509:

When you're at the point that it asks for a USB drive either unplug it and plug it back in, or wait and insert it at that point. Could be that simple. Be sure to delete the GB image so only MET in on there. If all else fails, try another USB stick.

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried that and but still got the message: "Insert USB Memory Stick or Press 'Back' To Exit"

It's as if it's not recognizing the USB stick, maybe because it still has the unzipped file on it. The GB update went smoothly perhaps because it had a different file type (spk) that didn't need to be unzipped? Very strange. I'm baffled.

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

If I have a zipped file, I put it on my desktop ( PC ) left click once, then right click and a menu comes up. I pick extract all to and pick the USB stick and send it there.
    LTG : )

Thank you for your reply. I have a Mac which is fairly new (less than a year old) so I'm surprised I'm having trouble unzipping the file. I even tried it on a relative's older Mac but had the same problem. I tried using Terminal to unzip that way, as well as the Unarchiver app, but neither seemed to work. I'm sure it's my fault but I'm not sure what else to try.

#20 7 years ago

Did you safely eject/unmount the flash drive prior to removing it from your computer? If the filesystem is not marked as "clean", it won't properly mount on the board.

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from phyreteam:

Did you safely eject/unmount the flash drive prior to removing it from your computer? If the filesystem is not marked as "clean", it won't properly mount on the board.

Yes, I tried it several times and made sure it was ejected properly. Good idea though. I also called Apple Care and they didn't have any suggestions as how to unzip the file.

I think I will buy a new USB drive since they are cheap and see if I can get a friend with a PC to load the update file onto it. Maybe it's an Apple problem.

By the way this is what the file looks like on my Mac desktop.

Thanks again everyone.

Screen Shot 2017-01-21 at 3.07.27 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-01-21 at 3.07.27 PM (resized).png

10 months later
    #22 6 years ago

I just updated my SM to 2.61, and I thought I'd post one other factor: USB memory size. I had to go through 5 sticks until 1 worked. All were formatted to FAT32, all were 'ejected' from the PC, all had the same .BIN file. Only one was recognized by the pin.

2 main differences regarding the one that worked:
    1. it was 1GB in size (where all others were 4+GB)
    2. it had a light indicator (none of the others had it)

I doubt #2 is relevant, but thought I'd pass this on in case someone is pulling their hair out.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-update-stern-firmware?hl=xbmanx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.