Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Miguel351
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_(resized).jpeg

#1 4 years ago

Hiya, I just bought a WCS over the weekend and the right flipper feels weaker than I'd like (though it can still make ramps etc.). Manually moving it it feels looser (more 'free') than the left.

Are there any steps I should take to diagnose/troubleshoot the problem before proceeding to my first major pinball surgery: a flipper rebuild?

#2 4 years ago

Unless there's something like a screw or mount that is obviously loose (and that can be re-tightened), you're probably just going to have to go and buy yourself a flipper rebuild.

Don't worry though! Resident expert Vid1900 has a most excellent guide that'll walk you through the relatively painless process of rebuilding them. Check it out here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers

Good Luck!

#3 4 years ago

no just buy the rebuild kit for all flippers. pinball life has the best deals. replace the bushings to as they do not come in the kits. i rebuild all the flippers on every game I bring it. totally worth it

#4 4 years ago

A "new-to-you" pinball is in unknown condition in my opinion. Therefore, a flipper rebuild would be where I would start.

#5 4 years ago

Along with the pawl, which is the likely culprit and which you'll get in a rebuild kit, you might consider ordering new flipper bats as well. The bats might be scored where the pawl grabs and, worse, might actually be split where the shaft meets the bat. I had the latter happen once. Sucks to rebuild and then realize the problem was actually in the bat.

#6 4 years ago

Before going all out on a full flipper rebuild, I would check the EOS switch. May just be out of adjustment. You can always rebuild later if you so choose.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

no just buy the rebuild kit for all flippers. pinball life has the best deals. replace the bushings to as they do not come in the kits. i rebuild all the flippers on every game I bring it. totally worth it

Just had to chime in here to say that I can't believe I actually had to upvote Rcbrown on something...but he's right. I hate when that happens.

EDIT: Superbee has a good point, too!

#8 4 years ago

If you're going to buy a rebuild kit, take it apart first and see if you can get the plastic sleeve out of the coil. If not, add a coil on with that order.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Before going all out on a full flipper rebuild, I would check the EOS switch. May just be out of adjustment. You can always rebuild later if you so choose.

Thanks for the suggestion (and suggestions from all).

Not home yet so I haven't been able to look at it but your thought is that it's EOS switch connectors may be too close together?

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from deeplennon1:

Not home yet so I haven't been able to look at it but your thought is that it's EOS switch connectors may be too close together?

Not sure how WCS is set up. Some are power open and some are power closed. Im sure someone else will chime in on this. Or go look at Vids guide to flipper rebuilds. It is excellent !!

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Not sure how WCS is set up. Some are power open and some are power closed. Im sure someone else will chime in on this. Or go look at Vids guide to flipper rebuilds. It is excellent !!

eos could be A problem but if it feels loose when you move it manually its likely the pawl. that and mushroomed coil stops are the most common things I have seen. also related, the solution for a preponderance of unnecessary chatter is to block beelzeboob....

1 week later
#12 4 years ago

Thanks RCBrown for the tip to order bushings. Surgery occured this morning on the right flipper and the bushing turned about to be the culprit.

image_(resized).jpeg

#13 4 years ago

Good thing ya checked. Playfield wear would have ensued

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from deeplennon1:

Thanks RCBrown for the tip to order bushings. Surgery occured this morning on the right flipper and the bushing turned about to be the culprit.

nice! now only if I could train myself to stock these things. I always end up rifling through the several hundred pounds of used flipper parts to try and find a decent one to use as a temporary measure.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

I always end up rifling through the several hundred pounds of used flipper parts to try and find a decent one to use as a temporary measure.

Quoted from rcbrown316:

pinball life has the best deals.

And the worst quality. Soft metal and they don't even include the bushing in their kit.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

And the worst quality. They don't even include the bushing in their kit.

Most places have stopped including bushings in their kits. I always order a set when I order rebuild parts. I also keep 4 or 5 of both the Williams and the DE/Stern on hand for the random breakage.

#17 4 years ago

I added the part about the soft metal pawls that come in pinballlife kits . Pbresource sells a quality "complete" kit.

http://www.pbresource.com/rebuildkit.html#KT-WFLIP06

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

And the worst quality. Soft metal and they don't even include the bushing in their kit.

its the same kit as marco. looks like steve young includes the bushings. still worth it. gonna start buying all of them there. yeah you get yelled at but you dont have to think!

#19 4 years ago

All I know is bought pinballlife kits in bulk at one time and have found it better to use the original pawl than put that weak thing on there. Same quality as the rubbers they sell. PBresource and Marco are the only places I order from any more unless they don't have it.

#20 4 years ago

Don't really need them yet myself, but I'm gonna add them to my yearly knick-knacky parts order from Marco when I'm at CAX in a few weeks. They always have great deals, free shipping, no tax, and sometimes even take off a few bucks to make things a nice round number.

Love those guys!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 159.99
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
$ 69.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside