Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Gorgar666
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Hi pinheads, Is there a good guide out there on the correct way to test transistors. I found one from an old post and it was in German, Ich spreche nicht Deutsch, so if you know of one let me know.
I will be testing on a FT
Thanks

#2 11 years ago

This is from the old pinrepair. I saved this info before it became unavailable. Hope it is OK to post here?? I should also add, DMM set to diode function.

TIP36c: Put the red lead of the DMM on the metal tab of the transistor. Put the black lead of the DMM on each of the two outside legs of the transistor. A reading of .4 to .6 volts should be seen. Put the black lead on the center transistor leg (collector) and the red lead on the metal tab, and a zero reading should be seen. Put the black lead of the DMM on the left/top (base) leg of the transistor. The red lead on the center transistor leg should show .4 to .6 volts. The red lead on the right/bottom leg should be .2 volts. Any other value, and the transistor is bad and will need to be replaced.
TIP102: Put the black lead of the DMM on the metal tab of the transistor. Put the red lead of the DMM on each of the two outside legs of the transistor. A reading of .4 to .6 volts should be seen. Put the red lead on the center transistor leg (collector), and a zero reading should be seen. Any other value, and the transistor is bad and will need to be replaced.
TIP107: Put the red lead of the DMM on the center leg or on the metal tab of the transistor. Put the black lead of the DMM on each of the two outside legs of the transistor. A reading of .4 to .6 volts should be seen. Put the black lead on the center transistor leg (collector) and the red lead on the metal tab, and a zero reading should be seen. Any other value, and the transistor is bad and will need to be replaced.
2N5401, MPSD52, 2N4403 (pre-drivers): Put the black lead of the DMM on the center leg of the transistor (note this transistor doesn't have a metal tab). Put the red lead of the DMM on each of the two outside legs of the transistor. A reading of .4 to .6 volts should be seen. Any other value, and the transistor is bad and will need to be replaced.

#3 11 years ago

The quick way?
Chances are if you working on a pin board..there a bunch of the same transistors.

Just compare test it to couple known working ones on the board

By the time you look up the type of resister...get the data sheet and 'read' how to test it, you could easily be back up and running

#4 11 years ago

on my transistors I get 0.5 on the right 2.14 on the right and 0 in the middle does this sound right
BTW some its impossible to get a reading on but i assume they are working

#5 11 years ago

I know that isn't what the Gide says but other ones read the same

#6 11 years ago

Maybe unplug all of the connectors? I have only tested with the board out of the game.

Also, are you sure your multimeter is set to diode?? For most, that is the setting where you can test continuity i.e. touch the leads together and you get a tone.

#7 11 years ago

I took it off that setting , I thought I was looking for numbers not sounds?

#8 11 years ago

If you didn't guess I know dick about dmm I am just learning as I go

#9 11 years ago

Yeah, it is the setting with the sound. The numbers will come up. You should get between 0.4 and 0.6 for the outside legs to the tab. If you get tone, it is a shorted on transistor.

9 years later
#10 1 year ago

I just received a batch of Tip102’s cheap. I want to test them loose. Before I can trust they are good. How and what kinda reading am I looking for? Thanks.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

I just received a batch of Tip102’s cheap. I want to test them loose. Before I can trust they are good. How and what kinda reading am I looking for? Thanks.

Quoted from lukex:

Yeah, it is the setting with the sound. The numbers will come up. You should get between 0.4 and 0.6 for the outside legs to the tab. If you get tone, it is a shorted on transistor.

Exactly this in the post directly above yours. Testing detail explained by Lupex in post #2 for TIP102's. FYI, I've seen some tip120 and tip 102's test above .6 but these test results are just a general guideline.

A side note, transistors can on occasion test perfectly good and still not operate properly when tested in game/circuit. Also, I am running low on some if you found a cheap and legit source, do share.

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Exactly this in the post directly above yours. Testing detail explained by Lupex in post #2 for TIP102's. FYI, I've seen some tip120 and tip 102's test above .6 but these test results are just a general guideline.
A side note, transistors can on occasion test perfectly good and still not operate properly when tested in game/circuit. Also, I am running low on some if you found a cheap and legit source, do share.

My Bad brother. I was in a rush for an answer. Thanks!

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Sorry, it was a 1of deal… guy found an bag of them in his garage. He posted to EBay…I already soldered one in, 100%.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 169.00
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Minneapolis, MN
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-test-transistors and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.