(Topic ID: 88065)

How to test flipper relay on solenoid board Bally/stern

By Tridentphoto

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0929 (resized).jpeg
    P_20190923_132027 (resized).jpg
    P_20190923_132005 (resized).jpg
    2136913.png
    Mati Hari (resized).JPG
    Lectronamo_SDB1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Cheddar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from Slogan1111:

Can anybody elaborate or help me with a flipper issue? I've tried everything in this thread. Both my flippers do not work on my Dolly Parton. Here's what I've done or checked. Brand new Alltek mpu. All voltages are within spec. Bypass the relay and can work the flippers if I send voltage directly to the transistor on the sdb. Replaced relay, transistor, & diode on Q15. Repinned connectors to the mpu. Finally put in a known working rottendog sdb from another machine, still no flipper action. I'm a little stumped at what could be bad here? Or where the problem lies? If the flippers work by bypassing the relay, but the relay clicks, where or what is the missing link?
    Thanks,
    Scott

Do you have voltage present at the flipper coils? Are the EOS Switches making good contact. You can test the flippers like any other coil if the voltage is present. Ground the center tab on the coil momentarily to see if the plunger pulls in. The correct tab to ground is the one with only a single wire going to the EOS switch.

How are the connectors on the rectifier board? All power originates and returns here. Anything wrong here will keep something from working

#12 5 years ago

Next thing I would test is continuity from the relay pins 8 & 9 to pins 2 & 1 on connector J2 on the driver board and relay pins 4 & 3 to pins 8 & 9 on connector J1. This is the path of the flipper power but would not prevent the relay from operating.

If you pull the SDB you'll see the traces near the relay. They're pretty straightforward. If this is an issue it's probably cracked solder joints.

p.s did you check the eos's? If they are not connected the hold coil doesn't have enough pull to pull in the flipper plunger. you can temporarily jumper across the switch to eliminate it as a problem. Don't leave the jumper though or you will melt the flipper coil quickly

11 months later
    #28 4 years ago

If you pull the 3081 and test it do the readings go back to normal?

Also I'm no expert but it looks to me like you can test the flipper relay by applying ground to J4 pin 8. That would test the whole circuit

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

See the previous post by Cheddar but instead you need to ground pin 8 of J4, not connect it to 5V..

Corrected, thanks for catching that!

#33 4 years ago

It looks like the disable line goes from mpu j4-7 to sdb j4-8 and the color of the wire is blue white

#35 4 years ago

Assuming you have a Bally mpu and not an altek, swap the 2 Pia's and see what it does

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Cheddar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-test-flipper-relay-on-solenoid-board-ballystern?tu=Cheddar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.