(Topic ID: 291467)

How to test a bally as-2518-50 sound board on a workbench?

By Rhaegal

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by jj44114
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture d’écran (6) (resized).png
IMG_20210412_172755 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Hey guys, I found this sound board in an unknown state and wanted to test it. It's labeled as-2888-4 and has the prom for paragon/harlem.

I don't own any of these pins, just a grand slam which uses a -51 board. I wondered if it can be tested on a workbench.

I've hooked a louspeaker and a power supply at tp4 (43VDC) and tp1 (5VDC). But I can't figure out what combination of low/high signals I have to send to sol_adress A to E to produce some sounds.

Pin8 of connector J1 triggers a sound when forced to high as it seems but I'm sure I'm missing something.

Any idea? Thanks!

IMG_20210412_172755 (resized).jpgIMG_20210412_172755 (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago

This sound board is just a 31 tone generator controlled by the MPU board. You won't get any amazing sound effects testing it on the bench. Sound effects are created by the game code controlling the tones sequences on the fly to make the simple tones sound a little more 'complex'.

There's a table at the link below of the SOL_address E,D,C,B,A input logic levels and roughly what the generated output tone frequencies are:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-paragon-generating-extra-tone-sequences#post-4113322

There's a lot of tech info in that thread if you feel like reading.

Note this sound board is also used in Dolly Parton

#3 3 years ago

If you can get your hands on a bally brown box tester for solenoid driver boards, they can test the 32, 50, and 51 sound boards. If the tester doesn't have the capability built in already, it can be modified to do so.

#4 3 years ago

Thank you Quench and ForceFlow for making Pinside such a great technical resource

I finally managed to test my -50 sound board in my grand slam which normally uses a -51 board.

I noticed while reading the schematics that -50 and -51 boards share the same connector J1 pinout except that:
- J1-1 is fed with +12V unreg in -51 games but this pin is unused on -50 boards, so it's OK
- J1-9 is fed with +43V in -50 games so it's missing on my -50 board.

The +43V is used for the amplifier section. It can be found on the driver board (banded side of the diode located near the relay).
So it's just a matter of connecting J1 and hooking a wire with alligator clips between the banded side of the relay diode and TP4 on the -50 board.
Then I put Harlem Globe Trotters ROMs on the CPU board to properly test the sounds.

OK, it plays sounds, the concept is validated but as the interruption timer is not equivalent between a -133 CPU board (Grand Slam) and a -35 CPU board, the melodies are played very slow.

I just had to make the same test on a friend's pinball with a -35 CPU (mystic): it worked like a charm!

Here is where to attach the alligator clip on the bally driver board:

Capture d’écran (6) (resized).pngCapture d’écran (6) (resized).png
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, OH
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grandview, MO
$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-test-a-bally-as-2518-50-sound-board-on-a-workbench and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.