(Topic ID: 44480)

How to tell if a cabinet is a decal or screened? Touch up or re-decal?

By Squeakman

11 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by wayout440
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

I have a whirlwind with a pretty nice cabinet that I am wondering if it is a decal or screened. How can you tell and is it worth it to hire someone to do touch ups. I am going to do a ground up restore on this as soon as the CPR playfield and plastics are done. Would love to hear some advice from people who have done both and which is better. Thanks.

#2 11 years ago

Your game is screened.

There was a time later when Williams applied the white vinyl sheet to the cabinet and screened that. And a couple games like Monster Bash and cactus Canyon were decals.

I don't know if there is a real easy way to tell. It does seem the games like MB and CC wrinkle quicker and worse on the legs.

LTG : )

#3 11 years ago

Nice to know. I thought it was screened. Its almost too nice to go through a full restore, but maybe the way to go would be to have it touched up by a professional artist. There are lockdown holes that need to be filled and a few bumpy areas, but other than those areas the artwork is very nice..

2 weeks later
    #4 11 years ago

Is it possible for a screened cabinet to have leg damage on the older Bally/Williams cabinets? I saw what I thought was a screened older game that had almost a layer of art pushed up on the "screened cab" near the legs. Didn't make sense, but man it looked like a screened cab! Almost like the art was screened on a layer of something and not the actual wood.

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

Is it possible for a screened cabinet to have leg damage on the older Bally/Williams cabinets? I saw what I thought was a screened older game that had almost a layer of art pushed up on the "screened cab" near the legs. Didn't make sense, but man it looked like a screened cab! Almost like the art was screened on a layer of something and not the actual wood.

See Lloyd's post above; screened white vinyl sheet.

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Your game is screened.
    There was a time later when Williams applied the white vinyl sheet to the cabinet and screened that. And a couple games like Monster Bash and Cactus Canyon were decals.
    I don't know if there is a real easy way to tell. It does seem the games like MB and CC wrinkle quicker and worse on the legs.
    LTG : )

I would have sworn Atlantis was painted on, even up close - it looked that good. The crinkle around the legs though was a sure giveway that this is some sort of printed vinyl sheet (I always thought printed vinyl sheet was the same as a decal, but your description seems to indicate they are different things altogether)

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-tell-if-a-cabinet-is-a-decal-or-screened-touch-up-or-re-decal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.