We're back!

After a disaster in our datacenter took down our server, we are now running Pinside on a brand new server. However, things may not work as expected as we are still polishing the playfield and adjusting some switches! We might be switching to maintenance mode a few times. Please see this forum topic for more info.

(Topic ID: 153248)

How to tame CoinTaker's shaker motor

By Mcpit

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 113 posts
  • 58 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by Ecw0930
  • Topic is favorited by 53 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

There are 113 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 1 year ago
Quoted from John_I:

Better no shaker than Cointaker shaker.

agree

#102 1 year ago

lol thanks irishman. clearly you’re getting the last word. I already knew how you felt about it though

7 months later
#103 1 year ago

This method worked like a charm! Thanks! I bought the same one off amazon recommended earlier in this thread.

15812691890211833979780262557654 (resized).jpg
5 months later
#104 8 months ago

Sorry to bump this older thread, but I bought two coin taker shaker motors for my BKSOR and Elvira 3 and...wow...very powerful shakers. Where can I find this shaker strength adjustment kit today and does it work with Spike? Thanks in advance.

#105 8 months ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Sorry to bump this older thread, but I bought two coin taker shaker motors for my BKSOR and Elvira 3 and...wow...very powerful shakers. Where can I find this shaker strength adjustment kit today and does it work with Spike? Thanks in advance.

I heard there were issues with the Spike games so I didn't risk it. Do you have a shaker in an older game that you can swap into the spike game, then the Red Tremor with the PWM into that? I did that with my Maiden, pulled the Stern shaker out of Spiderman and put the Tremor in there. PWM worked great. Set it once and forgot about it. Won't buy a Tremor again.

#106 8 months ago

Cointakers website said it was Spike compatible, at least I think it did. I’ll go check and maybe give them a call.

When I installed it in test mode it made my bksor move across the floor, literally.

#107 8 months ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Cointakers website said it was Spike compatible, at least I think it did. I’ll go check and maybe give them a call.
When I installed it in test mode it made my bksor move across the floor, literally.

DO NOT hook a PWM controller up to Spike . It will blow out a node board. For Spike I always ask them to send the regular ones.

#108 8 months ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Did you try to adjust the weights? Make them close to 180 degrees of each other for minimal rumble.

#109 8 months ago
Quoted from hoby1:

For Spike I always ask them to send the regular ones.

You ask Cointaker to send a regular one? Thanks!

#111 8 months ago
Quoted from hoby1:

DO NOT hook a PWM controller up to Spike . It will blow out a node board. For Spike I always ask them to send the regular ones.

So true.

3 weeks later
#112 7 months ago

I got a good deal on a Red Tremor recently and thought that I would see what it is like in my X-Men Pro. It was a 20 minute plug-and-play installation but Yikes!, the shaking is brutal and unpleasant in stock tune. I read this thread and went about toning it down, as follows:

1. Remove the coin box (if you have one). It adds to the racket.

2. The weights can be removed and reinstalled on another set of holes drilled (from the factory) closer to the center of the weight so that the out-of-balance effect is reduced somewhat (not enough, in my opinion). The intensity of the shaking is less, but still not enough (again, in my opinion) (see the attached picture).

3. I added the motor control mentioned earlier in this thread (Amazon for about $9 from a US shipper so that I received it in two days instead of two months).

The motor control is truly the silver bullet in controlling the shaking as you can fine tune it up and down as desired (very easy installation). Even now that the shaker is somewhat under control, I am still not convinced that it really adds anything to this game experience. I had previously installed an 8" sub-woofer and a crossover and that really enhanced the experience of the game play without shaking the machine across the room.

Red Tremor weight (resized).JPG

0819201857_Film3 (resized).jpg
4 months later
#113 3 months ago

Just installed the pwm board. Wow. Absolutely perfect. Turned it way down, maybe 30% power. Have weights set to stock.

It's almost darn near perfect. I'm going to mess around with the weights to see if I can add power and make it smoother.

But man... $8 and 8 mins to install it.

Why don't they just include it and charge $20 more preinstalled?

20210113_214230 (resized).jpg
There are 113 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside