Topic Stats

• 80 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by Rensh
  • Topic is favorited by 45 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 8 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

37091589-0F01-49F7-A2F5-28C6E3506B31 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5748 (resized).jpg
002 (resized).JPG
2SZ_3884 (resized).JPG
pasted_image_(resized).png
voltagecontrol_pwm_0_(resized).png
CoinShaker_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg

There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 2 years ago

Okay finally tried to install controller and it is not working. Hoping it may be how I have it connected and not a bad controller. Shaker still shakes but contoller does not reduce the amount of shake at all no matter where the control knob is.

I have grey shaker wire that connects to brown/white machine power connected to - 'in' on controller and red wire connected to red/white machine wire to + 'in' on controller. I have black wire from shaker going to - 'out' on contoller and red wire from shaker to + 'out' on controller. Am I doing something wrong here?

#52 2 years ago

Sounds right to me. Can you post a pic? I'll do the same with mine when I get home.

#53 2 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Am I doing something wrong here?

Whoops.....you hooked it up wrong. Your output is correct, but You have the wrong inputs. You need to splice the other connector, the inputs are the black and red wires from the shaker board not the gray side.

#54 2 years ago

Basically I just cut the 2 wires going from the PCB to the motor, and inserted the PWM controller between them.

#55 2 years ago
Quoted from foureyedcharlie:

Whoops.....you hooked it up wrong. Your output is correct, but You have the wrong inputs. You need to splice the other connector, the inputs are the black and red wires from the shaker board not the gray side.

IMAG0380_(resized).jpg

Quoted from swampfire:

Basically I just cut the 2 wires going from the PCB to the motor, and inserted the PWM controller between them.

Okay that makes sense figured I had goofed it up. Thanks for the help guys much appreciated!

#56 2 years ago

Can someone take a picture of the pinbits AFM shaker printed circuit board with and without the connectors installed on the pinbit printed circuit board and post. Also, if you have any paperwork, with circuit that would be great to post also. I am looking on how to install a used one.

thx

#57 2 years ago

Was ready to sell my Red Tremor because it was just way over the top, but bought and installed the controller per the instructions here and am very happy with how it turned out. Thanks everyone!

1 month later
#58 2 years ago

Just ordered one for my TWD premium. The shaker just seems to be used alot it this game. Hopefully it helps out.

2 months later
#59 2 years ago

I was about to pull my Red Tremor out of my MET Pro and sell it until I installed the Pulse-Width-Modulated (PWM) controller. Thanks to the OP and all others that posted with installation help.

Prior to the PWM controller I tried:
- Moving the center of gravity of the counter weights closer to the shaft (my weights had two through holes both threaded for the lock nuts). A minor improvement.
- Adjusting the weights about 90°, 135° and 170° apart. I found a sweet spot between 135° and 170° apart which seemed to work fine during the coil test but the shaker was still too strong for my taste during the full Sparky zapping.

I have the pin on a concrete floor and it felt like Red Tremor was vibrating the machine across the room.

The controller was best $1.97 (including shipping, arrived from China in 15 days), I've spent on ebay (http://goo.gl/3SmRPG). Listing is/was "1pc New PWM DC 6V/12V/24V/28V 3A Motor Speed Control Switch Controller" and the seller was "cell.expert"

The Red Tremor is much better behaved and feels closer to a stock Stern version although it is slightly louder (The picture shows the temporary mounting with earthquake putty).

I'd use this combination again in the future on another shaker enabled machine.

2SZ_3884 (resized).JPG

2 months later
#60 2 years ago

I have done this mod a many times on my SAM games..... Love it as you can really dial it in for maximum shake not just extreme rattle.

Can this also be done to SPIKE game without any issues ? Any info would be appreciated

#61 2 years ago

Do NOT do this on spike games. Pops a node board.

I've done this to Gottlieb Gladiators as well. Works nice!

#62 2 years ago
Quoted from nerbflong:

Do NOT do this on spike games. Pops a node board.
I've done this to Gottlieb Gladiators as well. Works nice!

Thank You sir...... Thats what I was wondering and went with a Stern one from pinball life

#63 2 years ago

Has anyone tried the controller on Full Throttle? I don't want to blow a node board or worse.

2 months later
#64 1 year ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Just installed PWM and this really is the easiest way. 20 minutes and done! Works perfect for my TWD premium!
002 (resized).JPG

#65 1 year ago
Quoted from neverahighscore:

Just installed PWM and this really is the easiest way. 20 minutes and done! Works perfect for my TWD premium!

I use the controllers on all my Sam games. You can really dial them into your liking

#66 1 year ago

No support for spike still right?

#67 1 year ago

I have a new spike shaker from cointaker in the market, not red tremor. $100 shipped.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/44752

3 months later
#68 1 year ago

Yeah... I installed an old nib Red Tremor... Jesus .... it rattles the floor lol...

The shaft has a notch for the weights... so cant put them at 180 from each other. They always kinda sit parallel.
But the weights have another hole for the shaft on them. I used that and helped. But still... shakes way too hard.

Next step I ordered on of those board from fleabay. Until then I think I'll turn it off until something breaks

4 months later
#69 1 year ago

Yep, the PWM worked for my LOTR with a Stern shaker. It rattled & I just wanted a shake, dialed it down and kept the weights facing the same way, all good now.

7 months later
#70 6 months ago

Went to Allentown last week and picked up my second Red Tremor. The first one went into my AC/DC with none of vibration issues, but the new one—I thought my TWD was going to go airborne. This thread is gold. Thanks to all who identified the switch on Amazon and everybody else who supplied photos and instructions. The switch was easy to wire and worked like a champ.

2 weeks later
#71 5 months ago

I just got a Metallica with an older cointaker shaker motor in it. It was horrible, make a racket, clanky as hell. I adjusted the weights every way possible, installed a PVM, still janky.

The issues was 4-5 mm of play on the motor shaft itself. Whenever the motor went off, the shaft slammed back and forth inside the motor housing.

I took it apart, and hammered the pictured end in, with both weights, loose on the shaft to keep it straight/even. This removed most of the play in the shaft. I then put 2 washers on the motor side of the bracket mount.

It now works properly without all the racket. If nothing else worked for you, might give this a try.

IMG_5748 (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#72 5 months ago

I bought the controller off of Amazon and it works fantastic.

#73 5 months ago
Quoted from mack505:

I just got a Metallica with an older cointaker shaker motor in it. It was horrible, make a racket, clanky as hell. I adjusted the weights every way possible, installed a PVM, still janky.
The issues was 4-5 mm of play on the motor shaft itself. Whenever the motor went off, the shaft slammed back and forth inside the motor housing.
I took it apart, and hammered the pictured end in, with both weights, loose on the shaft to keep it straight/even. This removed most of the play in the shaft. I then put 2 washers on the motor side of the bracket mount.
It now works properly without all the racket. If nothing else worked for you, might give this a try.

Are you sure this is a cointaker motor? That looks awfully like one of mine.

2 weeks later
#74 4 months ago

Bought an after market shaker for my TWD which is a little to wild for my feeling, especially when used so often. Reminds me of my roadshow

I ordered the PW controller as suggested. Can tell you that changing the resistor value also helps but the tunabolity of the PW is interesting and as I am going on holiday anyway deltime is not an issue.

Does anybody recognize the brand of shaker. Was bought in europe but could it be a Pinball life shaker or ...? It comes with a cover by the way.

37091589-0F01-49F7-A2F5-28C6E3506B31 (resized).jpeg
#75 4 months ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Bought an after market shaker for my TWD which is a little to wild for my feeling, especially when used so often. Reminds me of my roadshow
I ordered the PW controller as suggested. Can tell you that changing the resistor value also helps but the tunabolity of the PW is interesting and as I am going on holiday anyway deltime is not an issue.
Does anybody recognize the brand of shaker. Was bought in europe but could it be a Pinball life shaker or ...? It comes with a cover by the way.

Unfortunately I can't help you with the shaker motor, but I do have to say, that's a crazy loose tilt!

#76 4 months ago

My inelegant solution was to put a post rubber between the bottom of the cabinet and the shaker motor. Reduced the shake by about 40-50% I’d guess. I do like the alternatives shown above though!

#77 4 months ago

I meant putting a post rubber on each screw, so the shaker is now slightly rises off the floor of the cabinet.

#78 4 months ago

That’s an awesome idea michaelrobrien. Even though I have the Stern OEM in my TWD, I prefer the one in WoZ. It has a nice vibration to it as opposed to a crazy shake.

I might try that with the OEM Stern and see if I like it any better.

#79 4 months ago
Quoted from michaelrobrien:

I meant putting a post rubber on each screw, so the shaker is now slightly rises off the floor of the cabinet.

It doesn't work... Before I did the PWM controlI tried many different things and this was one of them .

1 month later
#80 3 months ago

Installed the PWM board and this works like a Charme. Great solution, thanks.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
...redshiftLED
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bright Lights Pinball
6,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bright Lights Pinball
There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside