37091589-0F01-49F7-A2F5-28C6E3506B31 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5748 (resized).jpg
002 (resized).JPG
2SZ_3884 (resized).JPG
pasted_image_(resized).png
voltagecontrol_pwm_0_(resized).png
CoinShaker_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg

There are 116 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 8 years ago

I got myself one of CoinTaker's Red Tremor shaker motor for my BDK and man that thing was making the entire house rattle like a jackhammer (although partly due to Australia's poor construction quality too I must admit).

Anyway it's a shame the strength can't really be adjusted (you can try and play with the weights but that didn't do it for me) so I just added a $1 / 3 Ohms / 20 Watts resistor in series and Bob's your uncle, perfect intensity for me.

(5 Ohms is too soft. Haven't tried 2 Ohms but I'm guessing that's what somebody with a more solid house would want to try.)

Just letting you know.

3 weeks later
#2 7 years ago

Bumping this to see if this is the only fix for this? No way I can use the one I recently bought-- WAY, WAY too much shake/intensity.

#3 7 years ago

I haven't seen one of these, but if you can access / adjust the weights, I wonder if you can swap some smaller ones on or maybe grind them down to make them smaller maybe?

I've heard a lot about the power of these, would love to experience one in person. It sounds like it might loosen stuff up in your machine.

20 watt resistor? Man, that's throwing out a lot of heat and wasted power...

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from Mcpit:

Anyway it's a shame the strength can't really be adjusted (you can try and play with the weights but that didn't do it for me) so I just added a $1 / 3 Ohms / 20 Watts resistor in series and Bob's your uncle, perfect intensity for me.

Would you mind posting some pictures or maybe a walk through for those of us that don't even know where to buy a resistor?

I have one for my Metallica, but it's disabled because I hate it.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

I haven't seen one of these, but if you can access / adjust the weights, I wonder if you can swap some smaller ones on or maybe grind them down to make them smaller maybe?

I did this to one of my Stern ones. I tried everything and couldn't get the shake down to what I wanted so I just trimmed about an eighth of an inch off the weights with a cutoff wheel. Really happy with how it turned out. Reduced it just enough but if I wanted even less I could have trimmed more.

#6 7 years ago

The weights at 180 degrees of each other is minimum shake, 90 degrees would be In the middle, and at zero is maximum. I set the weights at about 160 degrees and it's fine in my lotr

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

it might loosen stuff up in your machine

There's no doubt about that. It would. The one I bought is out of control! Hopefully moving the weights will work for me, I'll check this evening. There was nothing on the instruction sheet about adjustments so I didn't know before I installed it. I don't mind making those kind of adjustments but I'd be surprised if they expect the end customer to grind the weights on a brand new unit. I might try a different brand before I go grinding on this one.

#8 7 years ago

You can also change the position of each weight. Pull it off the shift and reinsert it in the hole on the weight.

#9 7 years ago

Another Pinside helped my with the same issue on my STNG ... Pay it forward !
eBay
PWM DC 6V 12V 24V 28V 3A Motor Speed Control Switch Controller
PWM DC 6V 12V 24V 28V 3A Motor Speed Control Switch Controller1/3

$3.06
Free
Shipping
Apr-06 to Apr-20
Est. Delivery
Buy It Now
Add to Cart
Watch
Condition
New
Quantity9 available
Almost gone
BrandUnbranded
MPNDoes Not Apply
UPCDoes not apply
Item Number121855642405
CategorySpeed Controls
in Business & Industrial
Item Description
1 x PWM DC 6V 12V 24V 28V 3A

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I have one for my Metallica, but it's disabled because I hate it.

Yep, I put one in my ST and it shook so hard I thought the machine was going to fall apart. I changed the position of the weights, and it did help a little - but I ended up just turning it off.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

but I ended up just turning it off.

That's a drag...

Makes me wonder if so many people have this experience with these right out of the box why it's not addressed on the instruction sheet. Or conversely, why don't they manufacture the shaker to shake at a reasonable vibration level out of the box?

#12 7 years ago

I have one in my game of thrones. Way too much even after flipping the set screw to the other side of each weight. I'll try lermods suggestion to rotate the weight on the axle, but it will be challenging as there is a notch at the predetermined orientation and getting the set screw to bite and stay put in another orientation may be difficult

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Another Pinside helped my with the same issue on my STNG ... Pay it forward !
eBay

Any instructions on how to wire it up for a Stern?

#14 7 years ago

Should be the same as mine ...the 2 wires going to the shaker are cut and the variable speed controller is routed between !
My shaker was actually moving my pin across the floor, I now can adjust to my liking ..

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Should be the same as mine ...the 2 wires going to the shaker are cut and the variable speed controller is routed between !
My shaker was actually moving my pin across the floor, I now can adjust to my liking ..

Could you please post some pics of the install thanks in advance.

#16 7 years ago

Spoke with Cointaker tech support earlier today; they were helpful but there is no electrical adjustment or controller they sell for it; physical adjustments to the weights is all that can be done. The fellow I talked to was also under the impression that the intensity could be controlled in the software so I explained to him that the software only adjusts the frequency at which the shaker goes off, not the intensity of it, at least on Stern SAM games.

#17 7 years ago

Just ordered a set of the controllers from China,I will put my weights back to there standard position and run it through the controller,I,may get more because I adjust all my shakers for minimal shake just a little goes a long way and I have to grind a flat spot for the weights and this is a better idea.

#18 7 years ago

Ordered two as well. Will post feedback when installed.

#19 7 years ago

I ordered one of the speed controllers last week and installed it on Friday. It appears to work correctly, but still has a totally different feel than my WoZ. I'm not sure if it is just the difference in mass between the two or not. The WoZ just feels smoother, where as the Coin Taker is more harsh, but much better after the controller install.

The installation was a piece of cake.

1. Disconnect the 2-wire harness from the circuit board attached to the side of the cabinet.
2. Cut both wires, leaving enough on both sides to install the controller.
3. Strip back both sides of the cut about 1/4".
4. On the back of the controller, you'll see all 4 pins labeled (Power -, Power +, Motor +, Motor -)
5. Connect the "Power -" to the black wire on the side with the plug you cut off the motor
6. Connect the "Power +" to the red wire on the side with the plug.
7. Connect the "Motor -" to the black wire on the motor side.
8. Connect the "Motor +" to the red wire on the motor side.
9. Plug the connector back into the board and either mount the controller to the cabinet, or tuck it away from anything metal.

This is the one I bought:

http://www.amazon.com/SMAKN%C2%AE-Motor-Control-Switch-Controller/dp/B00UURDBQ8

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

amazon.com link »

Thank you for the link, it got me the description.

I searched fleebay, and found them there too.

With some wire, and a couple connectors, I hope to have a zero-cut setup in mine.

#21 7 years ago

I ordered the speed controller too, thanks for the info.

What I've noticed on my IM is that short shaker bursts (like when you hit IM when he's up) are fine. It's the long bursts that are a problem - for example, the start of multiball where the shaker is on for about 2 seconds. So I think the ultimate solution is a device that will limit the duration of each "burst" to something user-configurable (default around 1/4 second). If I was still a real EE I would go design something.

#22 7 years ago

after moving and adjusting the weights to every known position to limit the shake on this thing with not much success, I just ordered a few of these speed controllers. I have TWD:Premium, and with the red coin taker shaker, its just too strong. I will get this installed as soon as it arrives and let you guys know how things turn out.

thanks to all that have posted in this thread.

#23 7 years ago

Would love to see install pictures of this controller. I want to tone mine down a little as well.

#24 7 years ago

Electrical tape around the glass is a must with these shakers.

#25 7 years ago

I've only ever used the Stern shakers. Do the Cointaker ones shake more violently?

#26 7 years ago

Well, hopefully the supplier will give me my money back for the one I bought at the next show. I could go through the steps of grinding the weights, reinstalling it, checking, moving the weights, checking again, adding the controller, etc. but my opinion is that as the end customer I shouldn't have to re-engineer something just to make it do what it's advertised to do in the first place. If they won't take it back from me without a receipt (bought it at a show) I'll have one for sale: "Cointaker Red Tremor shaker motor for sale... went off once, too violently. Reduced price!"

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Do the Cointaker ones shake more violently?

I'm going to say yes:

Quoted from Mcpit:

making the entire house rattle like a jackhammer

Quoted from Zorak:

WAY, WAY too much shake/intensity

Quoted from SunKing:

shook so hard I thought the machine was going to fall apart

Quoted from ninjabones:

Way too much even after flipping the set screw to the other side of each weight

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I've only ever used the Stern shakers. Do the Cointaker ones shake more violently?

Yes. They call it the Red Tremor

Now with "30% more shake!"

http://cointaker.com/products/shaker-motor-stern

#29 7 years ago

I removed mine and offset the weights almost 180 degrees. Tamed that thing down big time.

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from forensicd:

Electrical tape around the glass is a must with these shakers.

Yes, about 10-15 layers of electrical tape along the back edge helps a ton.

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Yes, about 10-15 layers of electrical tape along the back edge helps a ton.

This is what I wonder the most with people complaining of too much shake.

I don't think they are that violent. Now if your translite glass or PF glass is rattling, that's a different story.

I'm willing to bet most users would be fine with it once the glass rattling is tamed.

#32 7 years ago

i can say this, I have the pinball life one in my IronMan:VE and haven't had to tape or do any mods of any sort due to rattles or shakes. I would return both of red tremors to coin taker, but its not their fault. Im sure these will be fine once I tone them down.

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from fxdwg:

i can say this, I have the pinball life one in my IronMan:VE and haven't had to tape or do any mods of any sort due to rattles or shakes. I would return both of red tremors to coin taker, but its not their fault. Im sure these will be fine once I tone them down.

Don't judge the shake by the amount of rattle you get on a game. Each game is different. For instance, I only have the stern shakers in my games and out of the 6 I've installed only 2 of those games didn't have glass and back glass rattling. Some tape on the glass and felt strips on the backglass and it's all quite again.

Quoted from Zorak:

Well, hopefully the supplier will give me my money back for the one I bought at the next show. I could go through the steps of grinding the weights, reinstalling it, checking, moving the weights, checking again, adding the controller, etc. but my opinion is that as the end customer I shouldn't have to re-engineer something just to make it do what it's advertised to do in the first place. If they won't take it back from me without a receipt (bought it at a show) I'll have one for sale: "Cointaker Red Tremor shaker motor for sale... went off once, too violently. Reduced price!"

I'd actually argue it is doing exactly what is advertised. You bought a "tremor" shaker Vendors could never produce a shaker that meets 100% of users desires as everyone likes different amounts of shake. Some like a faint shake while others want the game walking along the floor. If anyone wants to complain to anyone about the amount of shake we really should look at the pinball manufactures. It would be pretty easy to code in a setting that allows users to adjust the amount of shake the game gets (not just how often it goes off) so I'm actually surprised it's not in settings already.

#34 7 years ago

Well I decided to try a controller because the motor is just too out of control even when I adjusted the weights which did make a difference. Just not big enough to tame the out of control motor. I will try and post pictures if no one posts pics of mod by the time I get it set up.

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

It would be pretty easy to code in a setting that allows users to adjust the amount of shake the game gets (not just how often it goes off) so I'm actually surprised it's not in settings already.

I don't know how easy this would actually be, but I agree. I'd love to see a "MAX SHAKER MSEC" setting.

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

argue it is doing exactly what is advertised. You bought a "tremor" shaker Vendors could never produce a shaker that meets 100% of users desires as everyone likes different amounts of shake

Well hey, vett, not trying to "argue," as you say, but I didn't buy a "tremor" shaker; I walked up to CT at their booth and said, "Can you sell me a shaker for a ___?" and that's what he sold me. I didn't know there was a choice. Even if I did buy a 12v pinball shaker motor called a "Red Tremor," I wouldn't expect it to actually cause a seismic tremor.

Also, vendors absolutely could produce a shaker that meets all desires. It would be adjustable. Just like the controller some pinsiders in this thread are adding to this one as the fix.

1 week later
#37 7 years ago

So I recently picked up Cointaker's Red Tremor shaker motor and installed it in my AC/DC. It was way too much shake.
I toned it down using advice earlier in this thread. Don't bother adjusting the weights. Get a motor speed control switch.
It's literally a 5 minute install (directions further up in this thread)and the thing works great! I found that dialing it back to about 1/4 strength is perfect for me.
Just thought I'd share.
CoinShaker_(resized).jpgCoinShaker_(resized).jpg

#38 7 years ago

And that worked?

1 week later
#39 7 years ago

Just wanted to say that I had read this post and was not going to buy a Cointaker shaker...Then read elsewhere on Pinside that people loved it ...Said screw it and grabbed one for my ST Pro.....Freakin LOVE IT! So, it's all about personal preference. Glad I grabbed a "Red Tremor"...

#40 7 years ago

I love them too but guess some people can't handle this shake

#41 7 years ago

Be carful installing the motor control in a spike game it could blow your node,it blew mine

#42 7 years ago

Has anyone tried connecting a Cointaker Shaker or Stern Shaker to a POTC? (They sell these for $100 vs pinbits high prices).

Is the input voltage different? Is it VAC? I do know there motors are 12 VDC.

I was looking at trying a Cointaker with an adjustable speed controller. Maybe I don't even need Cointaker printed circuit board. Just use the adjustable speed controller hooked directly do the motor and the potc 20 vdc ship flasher.

1. Adjustable speed controller ($3):
ebay.com link: DC Motor Pump Adjustable Speed Controller PWM Regulator 6V 9V 12V 24V 3A knob

2. Cointaker Motor (or use Stern motor)...and through away their PCBA.
http://cointaker.com/products/shaker-motor-stern

3. Also, if the adjustable speed controller does not adjust voltage (I believe it only adjusts frequency-pulse)...I can purchase this DC converter ($3)
ebay.com link: High Power Step down module DC5 36V to DC3 3V 9V 12V Adjustable Converter Board

Anyone have thoughts on this - has anyone tried it?
thx.

#43 7 years ago

cpr9999, check your PM. I think the diagram below best describes how a PWM controller works. I'll see if I can borrow my friend's O-scope and get some pictures of the various settings on the PWM controller I installed tonight. My guess is that it's just changing the pulse width. By the way, I'd love it if someone figured out how to connect a modern shaker motor to POTC.

voltagecontrol_pwm_0_(resized).pngvoltagecontrol_pwm_0_(resized).png

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

Be carful installing the motor control in a spike game it could blow your node,it blew mine

How did you connect it? It would surprise me if a properly installed PWM controller caused problems. It just converts an input signal to an output signal.

EDIT: Damn it, he's right. It blew my node 1 board too.

#45 7 years ago

Here's my quick feedback on the PWM controller: it's awesome! I kept dialing it back until I didn't have any rattling on my IM. I liked it so much, I changed the setting from "Moderate" to "Maximum". To save your scrolling finger, here's the product link:

http://www.amazon.com/SainSmart-Motor-Control-Switch-Controller/dp/B019H4DDIA/

#46 7 years ago

pasted_image_(resized).pngpasted_image_(resized).png

#47 7 years ago

I put the controller on my red tremors in Metallica and Star Trek.....works amazing, very close to stern shakers.

#48 7 years ago

Why not just buy a factory Stern shaker motor and not have to mess with the motor controller or trying offset the weights? Stern sells their shakers for $125 for Sam or Spike systems. The aftermarket shakers don't include the ground harness that plugs into the back box or the filter board for the flipper switch inputs at J3 on the CPU board, both of these are included with the Stern Sam shakers.

http://costore.com/sternpinball/productenlarged.asp?peid=235&pid=5432946

#49 7 years ago

I'm using the PWM controller with a Stern shaker. It would be nice if Stern and others added this feature to the shaker PCB. If it sells for $8 retail, it can't cost that much to add it.

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

Why not just buy a factory Stern shaker motor and not have to mess with the motor controller or trying offset the weights? Stern sells their shakers for $125 for Sam or Spike systems. The aftermarket shakers don't include the ground harness that plugs into the back box or the filter board for the flipper switch inputs at J3 on the CPU board, both of these are included with the Stern Sam shakers.
http://costore.com/sternpinball/productenlarged.asp?peid=235&pid=5432946

Well, I paid $75x2 for my red tremors at Expo......I like saving $100.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Folsom, CA
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 50.00
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com
Sound/Speakers
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 116 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-tame-cointakers-shaker-motor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.