20220925_101524 (resized).jpg
20220925_101508 (resized).jpg
16641154661186354461152095635470 (resized).jpg
02E17DD8-0707-4A52-BEE7-85FD2F3CE30E (resized).jpeg
vaughan-wrecking-pry-bars-b215h-64_1000 (resized).jpg
AC1CA75F-190A-4640-BC07-36DC9F61E57B (resized).jpeg
core2_(resized).jpg
core1_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider markharris2000.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#79 3 years ago
Quoted from Mrg50:

I too had a mushroomed magnet core on my Spiderman and didn’t want to pull the core down through the playfield. I couldn’t keep the core from turning with a large screwdriver and didn’t want to damage the playfield. Problem was solved by drilling a hole through another nut and feeding a #6 nail through the nut and slot in the bottom of the core. See picture. This allowed me to use a large wrench to keep the core from turning while I loosened the original nut on the magnet core. Hope this helps some with a similar issue.
[quoted image]

Very creative!

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
4 months later
#80 3 years ago

Just had my own need to swap the magnet post out of RBION and used a variation of the Harbor Freight prybar approach. I purchased their $4 prybar, and then used a bench grinder to grind down the fork to fit perfectly in the post slot. Took me less than 5 minutes with a bench grinder (and it helped that I had a fresh post in hand to keep checking the fit of the prybar into the post slot). I ground the prybar so that there was NO play at all when inserted in the post slot.

Then it was a simple matter of using a butane gooseneck candle lighter which makes a sharp pinpointable flame, and heating the nut, post and bracket just enough to be HOT, but not melt the coil spool. Once hot, I used the prybar for a few seconds and with constant pressure, it started moving just as expected(hoped). I kept going clockwise to unscrew the post from the TOP.

I decided to install the new post since I had it in hand, but I also went back to the bench grinder with the OLD post and re-ground the top and mushroomed surfaces for use next time I need a post swap. Again, 5 minutes at the grinder.

1 year later
#82 1 year ago
Quoted from Kennebunk:

RBION
Fortunately for me the nut came loose fairly easy with this 18" adjustable wrench. It started turning the core so I found something, the wire cutters pictured, that fit perfectly in the slot. Using vice grips to help with the torque, I was able to get the nut off then clockwise turning to thread it through the top of playfield. As you can see, the core was heavily mushroomed.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks like the playfield wood around the post didn’t get damaged too badly, so fixing the post is well timed.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.99

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider markharris2000.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-take-magnet-core-out-for-replacement?tu=markharris2000 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.