(Topic ID: 77139)

How to stop Stern and JJP trolling on Pinside?

By PanzerFreak

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 282 posts
  • 95 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by MTPPC
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th-742.jpeg
    imagesCAMCHZYU.jpg
    image.jpg
    check.jpg
    troll2.jpg
    Alec Baldwin 628.jpg
    terminalec.jpg
    stay on topic.jpg
    shut it down.png
    22.jpg
    keep-calm-and-use-paragraphs-1.png
    shut it down.png
    st2.jpg
    Famous-Sayings_fat+lady+sings-Kumbaya.png
    There are 282 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.
    #251 10 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

That s the reason I cant find the paper

That may also be the reason I can't always find my keys, my wallet, or sometimes even the bathroom.

#252 10 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Funny.. the 'price police' seems to be a topic I've only ever encountered on Pinside.

It's had an Urban Dictionary entry since 2006, it's not a Pinside phenom or term.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=price-police

If it was really that terrible people wouldn't try and sell games in the forum every single day (successfully most often). We hear a variety of reasons why it's preferable over the Marketplace, but at the end of the day it breaks down to being where the people are talking and things happen. You live with what comes with that. And the community as a whole is better off for it, which is the overriding concern, compared to sellers getting top dollar.

But you've heard all this before, Robin has spoken, and you just don't want to hear it, so I dunno what else to say at this point that could possibly convince you. It's how it is, so maybe try to not get so worked up over it. I had someone price police me over my Shadow project, it didn't bother me in the slightest. Frankly the other people in the thread told him to piss off and that was that. If I was selling a game I wouldn't stress over it either.

#253 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

That's purely speculation, mathafacko! Now - where'd I put those magnets? I need to figure out how the f*ck they work.

Forget the Shasta, let me know when you need me to ship you some Faygo.

#254 10 years ago

Personally, I like the "no FS thread crapping rule" that almost every other forum I participate on uses....

I KNOW there's a marketplace for folks to list stuff, but who the hell looks there . I usually come to pinsde, click "forum" and simply read down new posts- regardless of which forum they're in....

#255 10 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

I KNOW there's a marketplace for folks to list stuff, but who the hell looks there . I usually come to pinsde, click "forum" and simply read down new posts- regardless of which forum they're in....

exactly.. and why the FS posts are there

#256 10 years ago

Anyone that thinks that the price police phenomenon is exclusive to Pinside clearly wasn't around just a few short years back, when RGP was still the place to talk pinball.

#257 10 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

Anyone that thinks that the price police phenomenon is exclusive to Pinside clearly wasn't around just a few short years back, when RGP was still the place to talk pinball.

RGP = unmoderated
    Pinside = moderated

Worlds different.. and surprisingly most FS ads there had less drama than here. Shocking

#258 10 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

It's had an Urban Dictionary entry since 2006, it's not a Pinside phenom or term.
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=price-police
    If it was really that terrible people wouldn't try and sell games in the forum every single day (successfully most often).

Is it up to it's full potential tho? By your logic Stern had no issues at all... they made games and they sold them didn't they? The evidence of life does not equate to health or full potential.

Quoted from Aurich:

We hear a variety of reasons why it's preferable over the Marketplace, but at the end of the day it breaks down to being where the people are talking and things happen. You live with what comes with that. And the community as a whole is better off for it, which is the overriding concern, compared to sellers getting top dollar.

The sellers are us too. 'what goes around, comes around' over peanut gallery IMO

Quoted from Aurich:

But you've heard all this before, Robin has spoken, and you just don't want to hear it, so I dunno what else to say at this point that could possibly convince you

It's a discussion. Feedback doesn't happen by people sitting on their hands. I also didn't bring it up.. I joined the discussion :p

#259 10 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

For Sale posts are not the same as discussion topics

So say you.

However, technically-speaking, for sale posts are discussion topics.

If for sale posts were not meant to be part of a discussion, then there'd be no "reply" button on them. I'm sure Robin could make that mod if the people demanded it, then the situation would be cut and dry.

Quoted from flynnibus:

It's not all that hard.. use common sense. Do you crap on that seller in real life?

I agree. I personally don't do it. In fact, when I see someone posting a game for sale, if it's a game that I really think is a good game, I will often reply (therefore causing *gasp* a "discussion") saying, "This is a really great game..."

I don't typically crap on someone's thread. Nor do I like people that do. But I more of an aversion against censorship of freedom of speech than I do against people posting insensitive opinions.

#260 10 years ago

So say the majority of online communities for the last 30+ years.

Quoted from PinballHelp:

But I more of an aversion against censorship of freedom of speech than I do against people posting insensitive opinions.

Well one.. there is no freedom of speech on a private forum period. And it's not about censoring opinions - it's about 'focus' and encouraging seller participation. Many sites succeed by being 'the place..' to go and find something. They hit critical mass and keep exploding by being really good at something. Many times it takes technology or structure to make that trajectory sustainable or other times it takes heavy shaping to tune a community into something effective and useful... without having to work like finding a needle in a haystack.

Pinsiders should want to be able to find 'all the deals' and all the best info right here at home... part of that is making sure sellers want to participate here. Giving them a hard time doesn't help that. Again.. big difference between constructive criticism and thread crapping.

#261 10 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Well one.. there is no freedom of speech on a private forum period.

It depends upon the priorities of the owner and moderators.

The value and validity of sites like Pinside reset on the degree to which those in power respect peoples' right to express themselves.

History has shown that respecting the rights of all, at the cost of hurt feelings of the few is better for the community at large.

Period.

#262 10 years ago

Like Aurich said, Robin has already weighed in on the matter.

Either you like his direction or you don't; but it's "done been decided".

Live with it.

#263 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

It depends upon the priorities of the owner and moderators.
    The value and validity of sites like Pinside reset on the degree to which those in power respect peoples' right to express themselves.

This is a private site you voluntarily participate in. Certainly the less constraints, the more people are able to express themselves... But the old rally cry as people get taken down of 'I have the right...' '... freedom of speech!' - no, you ain't got jack You voluntarily participate in a site owned and operated by a private entity and they control the content and who has access to it.

#264 10 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

RGP = unmoderated
    Pinside = moderated
    Worlds different.. and surprisingly most FS ads there had less drama than here. Shocking

most of us prefer a little discussion about a game, especially if the seller has way overvalued it. there was a poll not long ago that reflected this. let it go.

#265 10 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

most of us prefer a little discussion about a game, especially if the seller has way overvalued it.

Who's to say the seller is overvaluing it? Have you ever seen the many 'price checks' that take place on Pinside? They are usually all over the place! Sometimes by thousands. This guy thinks its worth this much, that guy thinks it worth less, this guy thinks its worth more... whatever. It is what it is. If you sell something here you have to accept that there WILL be discussion!

BUT that will be the case with any topic. So WoZ guys you better get thicker skin! Same with the Stern guys and everyone in between... if a topic is created here it will be discussed and there will be disagreements, PERIOD! This is a forum and I say as long as someone isn't extremely vulgar and as long as there are no personal attacks then it should be tolerated without someone calling to the mods or Robin for bans because they think there is an evil 'troll' on the loose...

Its funny how some guys here can't see anything wrong with it happening in the FS threads but OMG don't you dare come into my WoZ or Stern thread.

#266 10 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

RGP = unmoderated
    Pinside = moderated

This notion that RGP is unmoderated is just not accurate. RGP is self moderated. If you go there and post a bunch of BS people call you out on it to the point you stop the BS or you leave or you're FF and you get put on ignore.

I do understand that it does not have "official" mods but in the case of RGP everyone is a mod to a degree.

#267 10 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

This notion that RGP is unmoderated is just not accurate. RGP is self moderated. If you go there and post a bunch of BS people call you out on it to the point you stop the BS or you leave or you're FF and you get put on ignore.
    I do understand that it does not have "official" mods but in the case of RGP everyone is a mod to a degree.

Its truly amazing how "one person" really killed it over there.

#268 10 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

With the advent of rgparchive as how so many people read RGP now... 'ignore' is a little more accessible... but while it filters your view, it doesn't remove or block the content. Unmoderated... self-policed? yes, but not really effectively. Too many people take the bait.

#269 10 years ago
    Quoted from JoeJet:

Its truly amazing how "one person" really killed it over there.

More than 1 brought it down...but yeah, 1 pretty much keeps it stale.

#270 10 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

Who's to say the seller is overvaluing it? Have you ever seen the many 'price checks' that take place on Pinside? They are usually all over the place! Sometimes by thousands. This guy thinks its worth this much, that guy thinks it worth less, this guy thinks its worth more... whatever. It is what it is. If you sell something here you have to accept that there WILL be discussion!
    BUT that will be the case with any topic. So WoZ guys you better get thicker skin! Same with the Stern guys and everyone in between... if a topic is created here it will be discussed and there will be disagreements, PERIOD! This is a forum and I say as long as someone isn't extremely vulgar and as long as there are no personal attacks then it should be tolerated without someone calling to the mods or Robin for bans because they think there is an evil 'troll' on the loose...
    Its funny how some guys here can't see anything wrong with it happening in the FS threads but OMG don't you dare come into my WoZ or Stern thread.

YOU make good points but left out trolling. I though you were going to stay away from WOZ threads?

#271 10 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

Yea, my take on RGP v Pinside is that, conflicts on RGP tend to burn out because in the unmoderated environment, people can fully vent, get it off their chest and then they're over it. Whereas on sites like Pinside, with the threat of being banned, some arguments that would naturally be settled don't get settled and people tend to continue to harbor resentment. Although I recognize there are factions and "tribes" on all these places. I don't think there is a perfect solution. Someone's always going to be unhappy with the way things are run.

#272 10 years ago
    Quoted from absocountry2:

YOU make good points but left out trolling.

I left out 'trolling' because its too hard to define. I think even Robin mentioned this.

#273 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

Yea, my take on RGP v Pinside is that, conflicts on RGP tend to burn out because in the unmoderated environment, people can fully vent, get it off their chest and then they're over it. Whereas on sites like Pinside, with the threat of being banned, some arguments that would naturally be settled don't get settled and people tend to continue to harbor resentment. Although I recognize there are factions and "tribes" on all these places. I don't think there is a perfect solution. Someone's always going to be unhappy with the way things are run.

i've had the opposite experience. i've seen thriving online (unmoderated) communities destroyed by two or three people stomping all over every conversation or bickering with each other continuously in virtually every thread.

whatever difference in drama level there is between here and RGP could be attributed to a great number of factors. moderation is far from the only variable in that comparison.

#274 10 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

i've seen thriving online (unmoderated) communities destroyed by two or three people stomping all over every conversation or bickering with each other continuously in virtually every thread.

Yup.

#275 10 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

i've seen thriving online (unmoderated) communities destroyed by two or three people stomping all over every conversation or bickering with each other continuously in virtually every thread.

Yea, like that doesn't happen on moderated communites as well? There are plenty of ways to stomp on conversations on Pinside that don't bring out the banhammer.

#276 10 years ago

Even as bad as it's gotten lately I don't think Pinside would ever get as bad as RPG was at times.

I recall getting reamed thoroughly over 10 years ago when someone was trying to sell a part as 'rare', 'unavailable' for a lot more than they originally cost. I happily pointed out that you could still buy NOS at the original price and that was a mortal sin to the snake oil crowd there.

#277 10 years ago

I am buying a MMR and could care less that Teekee calls them refakes. I could also care less that Kyle seems to have issues with it. More power to him, I don't.

I believe the definition of a troll (old school) is someone who posts something for no other reason than to intentionally create anger among a large group of people because it gives them a sick pleasure. I honestly don't see a lot of that here. I do see a lot of people who feel strongly about their beliefs and are want to let everyone know. A majority of the crying about "trolling" is simply because someone said something bad about something they love. Grow up! I also don't think it's a good idea to try and make pinside a "happy place". Genuine discussion contains good and bad. If pinside turned into a forum that only praised Stern and JJP most people would probably leave. If you want that go to the JJP forum or Stern's facebook page. Neither company allows anything bad to be said on their pages. Lots of fun to read >.>

That being said I do think the personal attacks do need to stop. I have been sucked into them a few times myself and am going to try and stop. I would suggest ignoring posts you don't like, stop calling anyone who doesn't agree with you a troll and enjoy the site. The moderators will take care of any real troll.

#278 10 years ago

I personally like the price police.
    If your price is fair market value it works for you, if it's high it works against you.

I see as many positive comments on well priced pins and i do negative comments for overpriced pins.

While i don't sell pins (don't own enough to sell), i've sold many other things. If you do research before you price it, shouldn't really have worry about the price police.

#279 10 years ago
    Quoted from chessiv:

I am buying a MMR and could care less that Teekee calls them refakes. I could also care less that Kyle seems to have issues with it. More power to him, I don't.
    I believe the definition of a troll (old school) is someone who posts something for no other reason than to intentionally create anger among a large group of people because it gives them a sick pleasure. I honestly don't see a lot of that here. I do see a lot of people who feel strongly about their beliefs and are want to let everyone know. A majority of the crying about "trolling" is simply because someone said something bad about something they love. Grow up! I also don't think it's a good idea to try and make pinside a "happy place". Genuine discussion contains good and bad. If pinside turned into a forum that only praised Stern and JJP most people would probably leave. If you want that go to the JJP forum or Stern's facebook page. Neither company allows anything bad to be said on their pages. Lots of fun to read >.>
    That being said I do think the personal attacks do need to stop. I have been sucked into them a few times myself and am going to try and stop. I would suggest ignoring posts you don't like, stop calling anyone who doesn't agree with you a troll and enjoy the site. The moderators will take care of any real troll.

You obviously haven't been to the JJP forum. There is ample criticism there and people do not pull punches.

#280 10 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

You obviously haven't been to the JJP forum. There is ample criticism there and people do not pull punches.

I have actually, many times. You also must notice how many post are deleted on a daily basis.

#281 10 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Wtf happened in 1977 to spawn all these pinheads!

Hey, 77s, take care out there. I just buried my 3rd HS classmate buddy yesterday. Turn that hard and fast living down a notch or two, I f you haven't already. We aren't 20 anymore.

#282 10 years ago

"If I agree with you, your post is reasonable. If I disagree with you, you are trolling the whole board."

This is what I see everyday. People so desperate for self-affirmation they attack anyone who doesn't agree with them as trolling.

I have yet to see price-policing on a thread that is a good deal. If you are looking for top-dollar, do it somewhere else or take your slings and arrows. There is no need to be sensitive because someone thinks your restored EM isn't worth 2 grand. The NF I bought off this board was a great deal. Not a single attack on the entire thread.

When someone says that machine x isn't worth y, it's not a personal attack on the owner of machine x. In most cases, the thread crapper isn't even in the market to buy so who really cares what they say?

There are 282 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-stop-the-stern-and-jjp-trolling-on-pinside/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.