(Topic ID: 77139)

How to stop Stern and JJP trolling on Pinside?

By PanzerFreak

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 282 posts
  • 95 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by MTPPC
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th-742.jpeg
    imagesCAMCHZYU.jpg
    image.jpg
    check.jpg
    troll2.jpg
    Alec Baldwin 628.jpg
    terminalec.jpg
    stay on topic.jpg
    shut it down.png
    22.jpg
    keep-calm-and-use-paragraphs-1.png
    shut it down.png
    st2.jpg
    Famous-Sayings_fat+lady+sings-Kumbaya.png
    There are 282 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.
    #201 10 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Everyone has opinions. Everyone has bad days or gets grumpy or whatever. It's when there's a constant pattern of behavior that it becomes an issue IMHO. The same old people, talking the same old trash, in every thread over and over. We get it, you don't like WOZ/Stern/MMr whatever. We got it months ago. It's simply trolling, and it's not hard to see it.

So what is it called when a company continues to do the same thing over and over? JJP?

#202 10 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Buncha kids!!!!!

Grumpy old man!

#204 10 years ago

I'm '79.. A much better vintage than '77.

#205 10 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

1977 here, as well.

Oh boy... considering who's been chiming in... I'm a bit freaked to reveal that I'm 1977 as well!

#206 10 years ago

Wtf happened in 1977 to spawn all these pinheads!

I'm older than dirt, 51…...

#207 10 years ago

Well, since this is an age discussion now, I'll add that I am suprised that there are quite a few around my age. I've been told time and time again y'all are a bunch of (dirty) old men around here. lol

Representing 1980! Whoop whoop!

#208 10 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

My opinion is when we were all 18 and up ~1995-2000~ B/W games were all over the place in Bowling Alleys/Bars that we hung out in a lot.

You couldnt walk into a place without seeing 3-4 of them lined up next to each other and these were all pretty kick ass WPC/WPC95 titles...and still in solid shape as they'd only been on route for a short time.

I wish I could find pristine examples of that era without demolishing my bank account, I would have many more older games in my pin cave.

#209 10 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

A lot of defective condoms were produced that year.....

#210 10 years ago

1977 means that we basically grew up along side the arcade era. I bet a lot of us actually were into vids first and gravitated towards pinball later. I know that's been my experience and I have friends around the same age with similar stories.

#211 10 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Thanks Ice, you are the only one that does not make me feel old.

#212 10 years ago
    Quoted from DeathHimself:

A lot of defective condoms were produced that year.....

LMAO

imagesCAMCHZYU.jpgimagesCAMCHZYU.jpg
    #213 10 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Also, in my own opinion I think there is lately (past 3-4 months) more trolling against JJP and its Wizard of Oz game then Stern.

I'm shocked that you, of all people, would think this.

SHOCKED I TELL YOU!!!

#214 10 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

Well, since this is an age discussion now, I'll add that I am suprised that there are quite a few around my age. I've been told time and time again y'all are a bunch of (dirty) old men around here. lol
    Representing 1980! Whoop whoop!

Only someone born in '80 would say "whoop,whoop!"

-'72

#215 10 years ago
    Quoted from 2RustyBalls:

Nothing here is that important that someone needs to make 20 posts a day.

Shhhh, don't tell Ted that.

#216 10 years ago
    Quoted from SunKing:

Shhhh, don't tell Ted that.

lol...no, not any more. My head can only take so much.....

#217 10 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

My head can only take so much....

Oh, and for the record, I'm an old vintage '64, Yep, and my collection reflects it.

#218 10 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

You're 51 or born 1951? Or rather not say?

#219 10 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

-'72

#220 10 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

-'72

Or she's an Insane Clown Posse fan

#221 10 years ago

Welcome to woop woop

#223 10 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Yet somehow in bizarro world we celebrate the harassment of sellers as 'do good' activity to help us all.

One man's "harassment" is another man's "the emperor has no clothes."

The operative issue here is:

1. Don't personally attack people

2. Respect other peoples' right to have different opinions

What you are advocating is that other people should not be able to express their opinions if that opinion might interfere with somebody else's commerce. In order to impose that rule, you'd basically have to ban all opinion on everything on the entire board.

Granted, if someone posts a game for sale, and someone responds with "Shazam" or "$10k by Christmas", that's provocative, annoying behavior that doesn't really add a whole lot to the conversation. But I don't know how you can realistically outlaw that kind of behavior. It seems to be part of the mindset of the community.

It seems to me, it's easier to be a big boy, suck it up, deal with the occasional snarky comment, than it is to try and get the whole world to conform to what you think is "appropriate behavior" when efforts like this have never seemed to be successful in the past.

#224 10 years ago

In response to the original post:
    Simply ignoring it and avoiding responding is the best solution I have found.

#226 10 years ago

Never thought I'd say this but, "What a bunch of young whipper snappers"

Representing 1963

#227 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

Representing 1963

Youngster! 1957 here.

That didn't used to seem so long ago.

#228 10 years ago

I'd tell you what year I was born if I could just remember where that paper I wrote it down on is at.

#229 10 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

I'd tell you what year I was born if I could just remember where that paper I wrote it down on is at.

Probably the same sheet you wrote other important stuff like passwords etc. My mom does that too.

#230 10 years ago

'62, but I'm still younger than most of you.

#231 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

'62, but I'm still younger than most of you.

Really? It's hard to imagine what it would feel like to be that old.

#232 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

It's hard to imagine what it would feel like to be that old.

You'll be amazed how quickly it happens.

#233 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

Really? It's hard to imagine what it would feel like to be that old.

I feel great! The women say I don't look a day over 30. The mind has aged, but the body hasn't.

#234 10 years ago

My secret of eternal youth.
    th-742.jpegth-742.jpeg

#235 10 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

1977 means that we basically grew up along side the arcade era. I bet a lot of us actually were into vids first and gravitated towards pinball later. I know that's been my experience and I have friends around the same age with similar stories.

Dito. I owned about 30 vids before selling them all for pinball.

1977 PINBALL HEAVEN

#236 10 years ago

Whipper snappers! The lot of you! Except Old man Odin "65" here.

#237 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Or she's an Insane Clown Posse fan

The fact that you know this makes you suspect as a fan.

#238 10 years ago

I like the direction this thread has taken. It might be OT but at least we are getting along.

#239 10 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Whipper snappers! The lot of you! Except Old man Odin "65" here.

Same.

#240 10 years ago

I resemble that remark!

#241 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I feel great! The women say I don't look a day over 30. The mind has aged, but the body hasn't.

That's great!

Women tell me I don't look a day over 50. Good thing my mind has aged as well to keep up.

#242 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

Women tell me I don't look a day over 50. Good thing my mind has aged as well to keep up.

Yeah. It's kind of tough when you are talking Led Zeppelin and they are talking Justin Bieber.

#243 10 years ago
    Quoted from PEN:

The fact that you know this makes you suspect as a fan.

That's purely speculation, mathafacko! Now - where'd I put those magnets? I need to figure out how the f*ck they work.

#244 10 years ago

(old joke)
    How old am I?
    Hold on, I have to ask my wife.
    ....what's that flower...the red one with the thorns...
    Rose?
    ....Right! Rose, how old am I?

#245 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

What you are advocating is that other people should not be able to express their opinions if that opinion might interfere with somebody else's commerce. In order to impose that rule, you'd basically have to ban all opinion on everything on the entire board.

Strawman much? It's much easier than you make it out to be - For Sale posts are not the same as discussion topics - in most communities they are treated as special cases with the expectation they are ads for sellers and buyers, not general discussion topics.

It's not all that hard.. use common sense. Do you crap on that seller in real life? Or if its not for your tastes you just keep moving on? Is that too hard to follow?

Quoted from PinballHelp:

Granted, if someone posts a game for sale, and someone responds with "Shazam" or "$10k by Christmas", that's provocative, annoying behavior that doesn't really add a whole lot to the conversation. But I don't know how you can realistically outlaw that kind of behavior. It seems to be part of the mindset of the community.
    It seems to me, it's easier to be a big boy, suck it up, deal with the occasional snarky comment, than it is to try and get the whole world to conform to what you think is "appropriate behavior" when efforts like this have never seemed to be successful in the past.

Funny.. the 'price police' seems to be a topic I've only ever encountered on Pinside. Somehow For Sale ads on sites elsewhere do not have such slang exist or discussions about how bad the community has gotten about it. Your point basically boils down to 'there is no problem.. move along'. Yet.. it's a condition that is unique to pinside, and is a constant topic. That doesn't add up to me as being just dandy and the same everywhere...

#246 10 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

1977 means that we basically grew up along side the arcade era.

1977 was when we were stoned in the arcade .

#247 10 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Funny.. the 'price police' seems to be a topic I've only ever encountered on Pinside.

I'm not saying I'm a huge fan of price policing per se, but before it existed here we used to be known as "the site where you can rip people of". I for one am glad that discussion about price is possible, but only if done respectfully. I get very few complaints from OPs who posted topics in the market sub-forum so I gather the problem is not as big as you seem to think it is? Plus, we have the Pinside Market as an alternative where you can post your games for sale without any community interference.

Anyways, I have some plans for a new Pinside pricing guide which will be community driven (as opposed to Ebay auction results driven). This should also help newbies in the hobby to have a clearer idea what price one should pay for a game. Nothing worse than getting ripped off upon starting a new hobby. And I sure don't want to be the one responsible for ever increasing prices.

#248 10 years ago
    Quoted from PEN:

I like the direction this thread has taken. It might be OT but at least we are getting along.

Only because I have about 20 people on ignore.

#249 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

My secret of eternal youth.

th-742.jpeg 17 KB

That s the reason I cant find the paper

#250 10 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I'm not saying I'm a huge fan of price policing per se, but before it existed here we used to be known as "the site where you can rip people of". I for one am glad that discussion about price is possible, but only if done respectfully

The key is the last bit I've yet to see in these threads where anyone has shown the behavior is respectful in face to face discussions. I mean... at shows do people put their own notes on games 'not worth this price' or interrupt a seller and buyer in a discussion and give their 3rd party opinion of the game unsolicited?

As for the rep you mention.. don't think it had anything to do with the price police.. I think it has to do with the style of collector that gravitated to your site. The common tastes here are very different than the older types on RGP, etc. The heavy modding, the NIB stern lineup, etc.. was all very much a demographic not so dominate on RGP Lots a free money floating around = pinflation. Environment where people put cosmetic condition above all else = pinflation Community consisting of people willing and able to build up big 'show quality' games by spending big bucks = pinflation. People in it for investments = pinflation

It was more about what people valued and were willing to spend... That type of behavior in a mob will always overrun penny pinching.

I mean.. you've had Neo Skywalker here the whole time.. if his impression of a game's value isn't low enough for you..

There are 282 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-stop-the-stern-and-jjp-trolling-on-pinside/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.