(Topic ID: 76257)

How To Stop The Shaker Motor Cabinet Rattle?

By Pintoxicated

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by _litz
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CAM00570.jpg
    DSC_0003.JPG
    #1 10 years ago

Guys,

Does anyone have a tried and trusted method of deadening or totally removing the cabinet rattle noise when the shaker motor is going in a Stern machine?

I love the shaker motor but the cabinet rattle is starting to give me the dirts.

#2 10 years ago

It's the glass that is rattling. I'm curious to a solution too aside from some overpriced tape. I saw in a thread that someone suggested putting electrical tape around the edges of the glass but when I did that I couldn't get the glass back in because the channel on my Tron is really tight.

#3 10 years ago

My ACDC Premium still vibrates/rattles with the playfield glass removed. I am not sure of it is the playfield itself vibrating on the playfield slide rails mounted on the cabinet.

#4 10 years ago

My met pro does this also, looking forward to seeing if anybody has a solution...

#5 10 years ago

How about investigate the source of the rattle? There is no all-in-one rattle fix. It depends on what's rattling. Glass is a good start but if the glass is off then it eliminates that.

#6 10 years ago

Take the coin box out , see if that helps?

#7 10 years ago

On my Tron it was the back glass and speaker panel rattling. Get some black weatherstripping for under the metal speaker panel hooks and up near the back glass lock/latch.

#8 10 years ago

Tried the coin box, it wasn't that either. I will have a look at the speaker panel and the backglass.

My problem is that I need someone to stick their head in the cabinet whilst I activate the shaker during gameplay or vice versa.

#9 10 years ago

Electrical tape for glass rattle works well......

DSC_0003.JPGDSC_0003.JPG

#10 10 years ago

I agree with Markmon no fix all for something of this nature must go deeper and investigate.

If it is the glass cal50 has your fix.

#11 10 years ago

Check the spacers inside the cab to make sure the playfield is tight. I put felt on the sides of my playfield and bent the brackets a slight amount to make it tighter. It was my entire playfield rattling ony xmen LE.

CAM00570.jpgCAM00570.jpg
    #12 10 years ago

Does your shaker motor have a threaded rod going across the top of it between the vertical brackets?? If so, keep tightening this threaded rod and check to see if the rattle lessons or goes away. I bought a shaker from Pinball Life and it had this threaded rod.

I put the shaker in test mode and kept activating it and holding anything that could possibly rattle and it eventually came down to the motor itself. I was ready to send it back to Terry and exchange it. Tightening the rod fixed my rattle issues. Don't go crazy and reef it down too tight! Just tight enough to fix your problem.

#13 10 years ago

sometimes the rails are put on slightly bent over the slider and touching the glass. That's one of the most common ones. Bend the rails up slightly so they clear the glass.

#14 10 years ago

Yes tighten the rod thread between the bracket. Lift the cover off and it runs between the 2 ends of the shaker. This will fix the knocking noise

#15 10 years ago

I have gone through my entire METLE and found most of the screws, bolts, nuts and electrical connections needed tightened up. I would start there IMO

#16 10 years ago

Thanks for the info guys. I will definitely tighten up that rod cause the shaker itself seems noisy. The shaker in my machine did come from Pinball Life.

I reckon there is a good chance the play field itself is vibrating pretty heavily which in turn is making things like the Canon and train rattle as well.

2 weeks later
    #17 10 years ago
    Quoted from Hi-Fi:

Does your shaker motor have a threaded rod going across the top of it between the vertical brackets?? If so, keep tightening this threaded rod and check to see if the rattle lessons or goes away. I bought a shaker from Pinball Life and it had this threaded rod.
    I put the shaker in test mode and kept activating it and holding anything that could possibly rattle and it eventually came down to the motor itself. I was ready to send it back to Terry and exchange it. Tightening the rod fixed my rattle issues. Don't go crazy and reef it down too tight! Just tight enough to fix your problem.

This was the issue with mine...snugged it up and it shakes with no noise...thanks

#18 10 years ago

My X-Men does this, after extensive research (sticking my head inside) I found that the shaker cover is warped. It's typical of this kind of molded plastic. I haven't gone back yet to fix it. I know that if I take the cover off, move wires out of the way that the vibration noise is completely gone. The shaker was actually hitting the cover. You may want to check that and let me know if you fix it?

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from Hi-Fi:

This is what fixed my Shaker.

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from Hi-Fi:

Thousand thanks, that really solved my problem and the shaker is 100% pleasure again, the ratlle was really, really annoying me.

#21 10 years ago

I second the tape around the edges of the playfield glass.

As I not only fitted a shaker motor to AC/DC but also a massive powered internal sub (almost no need for shaker motor).

To start with the glass rattled like HELL (pun intended) so I put some anti-rattle tape to the edges of the glass and hey-presto no more horrible noise just tonnes of bass and air being blown up by my hands where there are gaps between the lock-down bar and the glass.

Awesome

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from Hi-Fi:

This is most likely the solution to your prob , I have bought 2 Shaker motors from PBL for my Tron and Spiderman and both had the noise issue took me a long time to figure it out but this should be the first thing you try ,very easy to do .

4 weeks later
    #23 10 years ago

I've just installed a stern shaker in my Spiderman and have an annoying rattle. It doesn't have the rod across the top but I could fit one. The rattle seems to be the actual floor panel of the cabinet resonating though, if I press my hand up against the panel from underneath it reduces the noise considerably. Has anyone beefed up this panel, stuck vibration absorbing mats to it or maybe sandwiched a bit of rubber between the motor base and the floor panel?

#24 10 years ago

Remove the shaker motor....that's what's causing the problem.

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Remove the shaker motor....that's what's causing the problem.

Yep, that would do it. Alternatively I could cut a a piece of mouse mat, you know the thick rubbery type like a wetsuit, and sandwich that between the motor and the wood. Made a big difference.

#26 10 years ago

Prior to installing my shaker, I tightened up the threaded rod, the nut was just barely on there. I don't have any rattle at this point.

5 months later
    #27 9 years ago

I've been fooling with my shaker (and game, IM) for 2 hours now, and I'm 90% convinced that the shaker is the problem. I've tried using longer bolts with locknuts, putting post rubbers under the shaker and cranking them down, and installing the weights at a 90-degree offset. So far nothing has worked. I confirmed that the threaded rod was tight.

It looks like the shaker takes 12V AC, so my next step will be to install it on a piece of plywood and activate it out of the game. If it makes the knocking sound there, I'll know I'm onto something. I may try different (smaller) counterweights next.

#28 9 years ago

. double post

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I've been fooling with my shaker (and game, IM) for 2 hours now, and I'm 90% convinced that the shaker is the problem. I've tried using longer bolts with locknuts, putting post rubbers under the shaker and cranking them down, and installing the weights at a 90-degree offset. So far nothing has worked. I confirmed that the threaded rod was tight.
    It looks like the shaker takes 12V AC, so my next step will be to install it on a piece of plywood and activate it out of the game. If it makes the knocking sound there, I'll know I'm onto something. I may try different (smaller) counterweights next.

Tighten the threaded rod a little bit more, like half a turn and see if it improves.

I need to lube the motor on my ACDC shaker because it's squeaking...

Rob

#30 9 years ago

Tightening the rod did the trick on my machine. The shaker itself doesn't make a sound anymore.

#31 9 years ago

For some ideas, I had a lot of cabinet rattle in a lot of places on my NIB ST Pro and here is how I fixed it.

1. Tightening the rod in the motor itself.
    2. Electrical tape around the glass to tighten it.
    3. I bought some sticky foam and put more behind the back glass sides to make it squeeze a little tighter.
    4. I noticed the DMD and speaker panel caused the most rattle, so I put foam around the back box behind it to make it rest tighter as well, as a small piece of foam in the bottom where it rests to keep it from rattling on the cabinet.

Everything fits a little tighter now, and there is no cabinet rattle at all.

#32 9 years ago

This reminds me of the old days back when I worked at Greater Southern here in ATL ...

We'd recondition big sit-down Jurassic Park videogames, and part of the process was to put the thing in music test and turn the subwoofers way up.

Then you walked all around the game tightening screws until it stopped rattling like a mid-60s beetle.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-stop-the-shaker-motor-cabinet-rattle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.