(Topic ID: 29930)

How to stop GI blinking to the music on TF?

By pinballslave

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 days ago by robx46
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

EC71811B-ECB6-4D39-BB4C-8E90D3799F4E (resized).jpeg

#1 9 years ago

Apart from taking all the GI out, which I don't want to do, does anyone know how I can stop the GI blinking as the music plays when the OP bash-ramp is raised?

I find the blinking really distracting as I'm trying to play the game, and if you've already defeated OP, it's even worse as you try and get other modes done...

There is a relay that I can hear clicking with the blinking, so an option to bypass/disable by snipping a wire maybe??

Thanks for any help!!

#2 9 years ago

It's a tough one. You could wire the GI to your own 5v power supply. Or maybe just the lower playfield GI.

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Or maybe just the lower playfield GI.

Errr, sorry for my ignorance, but what does this mean?

Thanks for your input...!

#4 9 years ago

DE to Stern have done this a lot, more in the DE days. I hate it on LAH when the MB is lit, and everything, GI and all 150 flashers in the game are all flashing in your face.

#5 9 years ago

There must be an easy way to simply stop the relay from doing it by snipping a wire...?? But which one?? Red or blue...

#6 9 years ago

I assume they are using a relay to blank the lights, that is how sega/de did it. If so, just wire around the relay.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I hate it on LAH when the MB is lit, and everything, GI and all 150 flashers in the game are all flashing in your face.

I hate it on any DE or Sega game. I wouldn't be able to own a Baywatch unless I disabled the hyperactive GI relay.

#8 9 years ago

The relay is mounted on the board. The only way to stop this is to re-program the code or cut the GI wire, then that part of the GI will no longer light up.

#9 9 years ago

it's not so bad if you have gameroom lighting, but in pitch blackness, it's a PIA. Tommy does this too. I didn't notice that much until I recently moved the game up into the main gameroom, where it's completely dark. Now it messes with me badly. But still enjoyable.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from mikebetz42:

The relay is mounted on the board. The only way to stop this is to re-program the code or cut the GI wire, then that part of the GI will no longer light up.

It does it to ALL the GI, and I still want GI...

I'll identify the relay and bypass it, or stop it working somehow... Will be easy to find due to the noise it makes when it clicks in and out

#11 9 years ago

dp

#12 9 years ago

I don't know about TF, but on most DE and System 11 it works like this. Next to the relay are a big and a small connector (2 or 3 pins). Disconnect the small one and it stops this very annoying flashing and clicking.

Isn't there a software option to turn it off? If not, please add it Stern dudes.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

I assume they are using a relay to blank the lights, that is how sega/de did it. If so, just wire around the relay.

i think that is a good idea

#14 9 years ago

The GI flashing is seizure inducing in a dark room. Transformers, tftc, batman forever - these are some of the worst offenders. I've gone far enough to wire some of the lower GI and spotlights to a constant power source.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Now it messes with me badly.

We can't have that, now can we?

To stop the flashing on Tommy unplug connector cn7 on the power supply board.

#17 9 years ago

Nope, it stops the relay from turning the lights off.

#18 9 years ago

i'll have to investigate, thanks for the heads up.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

Apart from taking all the GI out, which I don't want to do, does anyone know how I can stop the GI blinking as the music plays when the OP bash-ramp is raised?

Yep, Sell it.

#20 9 years ago

I was thinking about the tommy thing. If I pull that, when the mode starts, it's not going to shut off the GI's keeping only the mode objective lit, will it? Which I don't mind as much, because I know what i'm doing, but people I have come over and play it, it's a great learning tool so people understand what their mode objective is. I"ll just have to put up with it. Now if the code could be rewritten to give you the option to turn it off.........Cough cough Transformers.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from darkmiss:

We can't have that, now can we?
To stop the flashing on Tommy unplug connector cn7 on the power supply board.

will it be the same for DE?

i'm going nuts when i play LW3

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

will it be the same for DE?

i'm going nuts when i play LW3

Tommy is also a Data East.

It's the same yes. Unplug connector cn7 on the power supply board. On a LW3 it's a 3 pin connector.

9 years later
#23 4 months ago
Quoted from darkmiss:

I don't know about TF, but on most DE and System 11 it works like this. Next to the relay are a big and a small connector (2 or 3 pins). Disconnect the small one and it stops this very annoying flashing and clicking.
Isn't there a software option to turn it off? If not, please add it Stern dudes.

Whoa, had to bump crazy old thread to thank this inactive member lol.

Pulling this little connector has saved me from seizure inducing blinking. Something that’s been bugging me forever but never really bothered to look into.

Thanks darkmiss - hope you come back someday!

EC71811B-ECB6-4D39-BB4C-8E90D3799F4E (resized).jpeg

#24 4 months ago

Something I have been doing to tame down the seizure blinking of GI relays is to put a low ohm power resistor across the relay. When the relay is open the resistor keep the bulbs on, but at a much dimmer level. That way you still get an effect, but its not so jarring. Data East/Sega/Stern games have too much blinking for my taste and the instant on/off nature of LEDs makes it worse.

3 months later
#25 14 days ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Something I have been doing to tame down the seizure blinking of GI relays is to put a low ohm power resistor across the relay. When the relay is open the resistor keep the bulbs on, but at a much dimmer level. That way you still get an effect, but its not so jarring. Data East/Sega/Stern games have too much blinking for my taste and the instant on/off nature of LEDs makes it worse.

Does this work with leds though?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 6.00
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 59.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!