4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by PismoArcade
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

mother-of-god-super-troopers_(resized).jpg

This topic is closed.

#1 4 years ago

It's the moment you've all been waiting for, Kaneda's Pinball Podcast (coming before TBL ships).

The podcast will be very focused...it will discuss all of what we discuss on here, each week. But what I hope to do is have many of you on to talk about and discuss your opinions, live (but recorded of course). I listen to a lot of the great podcasts out there and while the commentary is great, nobody really captures the amazing back and forth we have on here. That's what I'm hoping to capture.

With that in mind, what tools are the best to get something like this up and running? I dug around a bit and you get everything from $100 crappy mics, to $1,600 set ups with mixers and what not. For those of you doing this, what tools do you recommend? Hoping to have this up by February. Any suggestions is much appreciated.

Chris

#2 4 years ago

mother-of-god-super-troopers_(resized).jpg

#3 4 years ago

On the hardware side of things, just get Blue's Yeti.

You don't need any other hardware.

#4 4 years ago

F yeah!

I want credit for the "Pineda Podcast from the Big Apple"

I literally just fell out of my chair laughing my ass off. Count me in, this should be some comedy gold!!

#5 4 years ago

The video isn't nearly as important as audio. If you have great audio people will definitely sit through less than optimal video. People will not put up with crappy audio. A quality condenser mic is great. The Audio-Technica USB mics are awesome for the money and won't require a mixer to interface with them amazon.com link »

For the love of all that is holy buy or make a pop filter for it. Otherwise make your script not use any words that start with P.

A mic that is much nicer but will cost a lot more and require a mixer is a Heil PR40 (lots of podcasters use these) amazon.com link »

A mixer is nice if you're going to do a live show but for a podcast it's not really necessary unless you are doing something simple like interfacing with multiple studo mics. Keep the setup simple and you'll use it more.

When you bring in remote people use Skype. Currently it has the best video/audio quality. Use a desktop for this with wired internet connection (or a solid 802.11ac wireless connection). No one like Skype connections that skip, jitter, and drop and as the host it's best to ensure those problems won't be on your end.

If you're doing video take set and lighting into account. Good LED lighting will make the biggest difference and make sure your set provides good contrast from the people and don't use "noisy" clothing. Remember you are making video that's compression friendly.

#7 4 years ago

No video, people don't want to see me

Quoted from Bischt:The video isn't nearly as important as audio. If you have great audio people will definitely sit through less than optimal video. People will not put up with crappy audio. A quality condenser mic is great. The Audio-Technica USB mics are awesome for the money and won't require a mixer to interface with them amazon.com link »
    For the love of all that is holy buy or make a pop filter for it. Otherwise make your script not use any words that start with P.
    A mic that is much nicer but will cost a lot more and require a mixer is a Heil PR40 (lots of podcasters use these) amazon.com link »
    A mixer is nice if you're going to do a live show but for a podcast it's not really necessary unless you are doing something simple like interfacing with multiple studo mics. Keep the setup simple and you'll use it more.
    When you bring in remote people use Skype. Currently it has the best video/audio quality. Use a desktop for this with wired internet connection (or a solid 802.11ac wireless connection). No one like Skype connections that skip, jitter, and drop and as the host it's best to ensure those problems won't be on your end.
    If you're doing video take set and lighting into account. Good LED lighting will make the biggest difference and make sure your set provides good contrast from the people and don't use "noisy" clothing. Remember you are making video that's compression friendly.

Thanks for all this. So the best way to record audio of people calling in is via Skype? Never ripped audio from a Skype conversation, is it easy? Sound good?

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-start-your-own-podcast-1709798447
    There's a section on software, skype, and multiple mics.

Hard to believe there isn't something better than audacity.

The article references a few of the big DAWs, but I imagine there is good, podcast specific software out there now?

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

Thanks for all this. So the best way to record audio of people calling in is via Skype? Never ripped audio from a Skype conversation, is it easy? Sound good?

Make sure you get video of hot chicks asking you questions. Pinheads are suckers for that.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Make sure you get video of hot chicks asking you questions. Pinheads are suckers for that.

Duh!

Can some of the guys out there with podcasts chime in. Wondering what Nate uses and the crew of Pinball Podcast.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

From the people I know who have done it they prefer to have local recordings done and after the fact they are sent to the host and mixed (best audio quality because you aren't using the Skype codecs), that can obviously be a hassle.

http://www.urbanismspeakeasy.com/blog/how-to-record-a-podcast-interview-using-skype/

#12 4 years ago

Gaming usb headset mic (condenser mic element)
    Sony Vegas (or whatever software you have for multi-track mixing)
    Skype with callburner
    Thick skin.

#13 4 years ago

Make sure to work on a nice and obnoxious vocal fry, croak or even better upspeak.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

The only reason people will listen is to hear you make an ass of yourself.

You're no Jack Danger, dude.

#15 4 years ago

Holy crap. It's gonna be a narcissistic train wreck.

I'm not gonna want to look, but....

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

Who says? He could be a Jack Danger/Kardashian combo. Get creative with it and you could get Trump numbers.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Who says? He could be a Jack Danger/Kardashian combo. Get creative with it and you could get Trump numbers.

Numbers in exchange for ones' soul.... yeah, seems right up his alley.

I take it back. It'll be a huge hit.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

Numbers in exchange for ones' soul.... yeah, seems right up his alley.
    I take it back. It'll be a huge hit.

Hmmm, from the OC, ok I get it Are the Dash crew from the OC? Or just the housewives?

#19 4 years ago

RECENTLY OC. Was in San Diego for 20+ years before that. Would much rather be there than here.

Dash = Kardashians? I don't follow any of that shit. We've had a housewife in our house; my GF's father knows a bunch of them. I wouldn't recognize them if you threw them at me.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

RECENTLY OC. Was in San Diego for 20+ years before that. Would much rather be there than here.
    Dash = Kardashians? I don't follow any of that shit. We've had a housewife in our house; my GF's father knows a bunch of them. I wouldn't recognize them if you threw them at me.

San Diego is part of the real world. The Donald will be there later this year to help straighten out the rest of Cali.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from C2CPinball:

Gaming usb headset mic (condenser mic element)
    Sony Vegas (or whatever software you have for multi-track mixing)
    Skype with callburner
    Thick skin.

Thanks Nate. I've listened to everyone of your podcasts! Love em!

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

Think you're confusing podcast with twitch my friend. Not trying to be Jack Danger. I love his stuff.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

Thanks Nate. I've listened to everyone of your podcasts! Love em!

Come on Pineda, you don't need to lick Nate's balls, I'm quite sure you haven't listened to all 200+ podcasts, if you have then I'm really concerned for you.

You need to get your shit together and don't try and be somebody else.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

Think you're confusing podcast with twitch my friend. Not trying to be Jack Danger. I love his stuff.

Not your friend, buddy.

#26 4 years ago

Good luck Chris. I'm sure you can make it work.

Recommendation for first discussion! Why do some people feel they must contribute to all threads? Often over and over, derailing threads or making the same point in all threads! Why do people feel the need to "shit can" others opions, bc they know better...haha

Some pinside members could learn a lot from Aussie Arcade on respecting fellow posters. It's fun to have a joke but there are to many personal attacks these days, just because someone has a different opinion. It's 2016 be excellent to each other..

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball_Freak:

Recommendation for first discussion! Why do some people feel they must contribute to all threads? Often over and over, derailing threads or making the same point in all threads! Why do people feel the need to "shit can" others opions, bc they know better...haha

No doubt. Podcast #1. How about a non PC podcast featuring the MC of I'm not sure what to call it but let's make it real.

#28 4 years ago

Be entertaining and educational
    Nobody wants a pinside basement podcast

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from anthony691:

Hard to believe there isn't something better than audacity.
    The article references a few of the big DAWs, but I imagine there is good, podcast specific software out there now?

It's free, stable, not to hard to use, and has been around for a very long time.

Goldwave is another audio program, but is geared more for audio processing, and isn't free.

Then, if you want to start getting into multi-track recording/editing, it starts costing big $$$.

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Be entertaining and educational
    Nobody wants a pinside basement podcast

Actually now that Arcade Outsiders is kind of dead that hole needs filling.

#31 4 years ago

Coast to coast i have to check it out

#32 4 years ago

I've had a podcast for 5 years now(non-pinball related) and that being said, my info for hardware is out of date. There's so much better stuff out there than what I have. I have a mixer and mics and stands and etc etc etc. Makes it a pain to travel.
    As to the most important stuff, my main piece of advice is to keep consistent. Find a schedule and keep to it. And realize you're going to have to keep it for years if you do well.
    Nate has a great model for him. He travels, he records when he has time and puts stuff out when he has time. He's the outlier.
    My show, we do once a month and that can be a pain at times. Then again, at some times it's easy and we put out special episodes if we have something special happen.
    I've seen plenty of podcasts start and end. Just be aware of the time and commitment it takes and be persistent.

1 week later
    #33 4 years ago
    Quoted from Kylo_Ren:

Coast to coast i have to check it out

Will you, now....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 24.63
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball-Mods.com
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 159.00
    £ 32.00
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    € 8.10
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 109.95
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    $ 199.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 99.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Sales
    $ 64.00
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Pimp
    $ 249.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 99.95
    Cabinet Parts
    Merf's Pins
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods

This topic is closed.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside