Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Law
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

playfield_doodle_(resized).jpg
    download_(resized).jpg
    #1 8 years ago

I've been wanting to start a build of my own for some time. There's is a lot of great info out there on prototyping, board selection, tools etc. But not a lot on the early process. So before I start getting in over my head it'd be interesting to know how people go about the early stages, like:

- Do you settle on a theme first, then sketch -> build and end up with software and rules?
    - How fleshed out is your idea before you start on anything physical?
    - Do you have the layout all on sketch before doing anything physical, or do you make it up in cardboard or similar as you go along?
    - Do I need to worry about artwork at all at this stage?

#2 8 years ago

http://pinballmakers.com/

Tons of info there, especially in the whitewood section.

Most people sketch out their playfields on paper first, then go to CAD. You can then print out the CAD and glue it to the wood as a reference for cutting your holes.

#3 8 years ago

Nordmanite...
    Invest in Nordmanite.

#4 8 years ago

Theme or layour first doesn't matter a ton...but may need to be adjusted as you go on.
    Start making up layouts, build a couple proto PF, start drilling holes for some parts, then never touch it again.

#5 8 years ago

Pick out a theme.
    Figure out a few 'toys' or ideas tied to that theme.
    Sketch out ideas on paper or in other drawing tools.
    Test out the ideas and layouts in FuturePinball or VirtualPinball.

#6 8 years ago

Here's a good start.

download_(resized).jpgdownload_(resized).jpg

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from skov:

- Do you settle on a theme first, then sketch -> build and end up with software and rules?
    - How fleshed out is your idea before you start on anything physical?
    - Do you have the layout all on sketch before doing anything physical, or do you make it up in cardboard or similar as you go along?
    - Do I need to worry about artwork at all at this stage?

Pinball MFG often do layouts first, but having a theme in mind will help motivate you, and come up with ideas for the layout
    Don't get hungup on not trying out concepts (and making swiss cheese out of a piece of cheap $10 plywood). Try to use hot glue to put things down so you don't make too many holes, but don't be afraid to try things out. CAD is good to document (so you can get a clean playfield cut via CNC), but honestly you need to just fabricate to see how flow works first.
    Artwork should absolutely be dead last. Whatever you do, use real plywood (not MDF). Even if it's crappy low layered birch, anything is better than MDF.

#8 8 years ago

Buy four leg levelers...then work your way up.

#9 8 years ago

here is a page to sketch some ideas

playfield_doodle_(resized).jpgplayfield_doodle_(resized).jpg

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

here is a page to sketch some ideas

playfield_doodle_(resized).jpg

Able to provide one of these in widebody width?

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Able to provide one of these in widebody width?

I don't have one designed up, sorry

you could do a cut, paste and scan one though

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Here's a good start.

That kit is waaaaay overkill for the first batch....

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-start-a-homebrew-project and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.