Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 107 posts
  • 67 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by cottonm4
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 7.11.42 PM (resized).png
    20200830_091317 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1740 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1746 (resized).jpg
    Unknown (resized).jpg
    qyxwc (resized).jpg
    IMG_3013 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    84fiSfO (resized).jpg
    1eftgn (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sbmania.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#66 3 years ago

I see lots of tire kickers. They always start out with a request for lots and lots of pictures. Then they want a detailed history of the game from the time it was manufactured until today. Then they request more detailed pictures. This despite the fact that in my opinion pictures NEVER show condition and/or flaws as clearly as an in-person examination. And despite the fact that they might live only 45 minutes away but can't be bothered to drive out to see it in person.

Then, they proceed to tell you the pricing history of the game for the past several years and what they have sold for on Pinside, Craigslist, Ebay, the pinball guide price list, etc etc etc. They tell you what they sold this very game themselves for 15 years ago. They follow this with wanting to know if I will go lower than asking, again without even having bothered to come see the game. Usually at this point, they will point out some teeny tiny flaw in the game that keeps it from quite matching their standard of perfection. As if they are buying a factory new shiny BMW straight from the dealers lot, rather than a game that has been on the street for possibly 30 years, and which was not advertised as a HEP restoration or museum grade restoration. And is not priced as such either! Finally, they make tentative plans to see the game, but not this week as they are very busy. Possibly next Saturday... yeah, next Saturday for sure, except that you either never hear from them again or when next Saturday comes, they don't show up and when you text they tell you their plans changed, their dog died, their girlfriend doesn't want to drive so far to look at a dirty old pinball, etc etc etc!

How about this? Don't call about a game and ask for lots and lots of pictures unless you are truly interested in buying that game, and paying at or near the listed price, give or take for condition issues. Don't waste my time or yours with stupid haggling when you aren't really interested in actually buying the game or you think you want it but at $1k less than asking. Or don't bother calling if you can't actually buy the game until you sell something from your current collection to make room or to generate the needed cash or whatever. If I wanted to sell the game 4 months from now, I would have listed it 4 months from now, not now!

I actually had someone contact me to buy a game, went through the picture process, price negotiation, only to discover this eager buyer was looking to buy next Christmas. No, not this Christmas like in 4 months from now, but NEXT Christmas, like in 16 months from now!! WTF??

When I call about a game I am interested in, I offer to show up in the next 45 minutes with CASH and a truck! I may well offer less than asking if I get there and the condition is not as described, but I don't waste your time or mine negotiating over a game I have not even seen.

#68 3 years ago
    Quoted from freeplay3:

I do the same thing. If someone has a game I want but its a 5 hour drive, I always try to make it worth my time and get as many games as I can. I also know when to back off. I will never ask about games in the background of an ad or that are sent to me. I will ask if they have anything else to sell. You need to let them think they offered the game. You can come off as pushy and they might get salty towards you and ruin your chances on buying anything.

It never bothers me if people ask about another game they see I have. If it is for sale (usually), I give them a price. If it isn't, I tell them. What I don't like is people who call about one game I am advertising, then get angry that another game I have is not for sale, and then decide they don't want the first game either because they are angry about the second game. All that means is when I finally do decide to sell the second game, that person will definitely be on the pay no mind list!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sbmania.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-spot-a-tire-kicker?tu=sbmania and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.