Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 107 posts
  • 67 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by cottonm4
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 7.11.42 PM (resized).png
    20200830_091317 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1740 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1746 (resized).jpg
    Unknown (resized).jpg
    qyxwc (resized).jpg
    IMG_3013 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    84fiSfO (resized).jpg
    1eftgn (resized).jpg

There are 107 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 3 years ago

I on a called and asked about a truck on Craigslist . I asked to come for a test drive same day but buyer couldn’t meet until the next day . 45 minute drive to get there . I show up walk around the truck , ask the usual - “any problems , what’s been replaced “ - etc . We go for a test drive and half way through on the way back to his place I say “ I’ll take it “ and I have cash in my pocket . He then tells me it’s already sold . Asshole ! Why did you let me drive that far to come see it and waste my time ?

#52 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Post plenty of photos of the entire machine with your ad. List all the faults you know of and include photos of them as well.
    Anyone that asks for more photos...

These days you have to ask for a specific photo to make sure you’re not dealing with a scammer that doesn’t even own the game.

#53 3 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

These days you have to ask for a specific photo to make sure you’re not dealing with a scammer that doesn’t even own the game.

Right. As a buyer you want a little conversation and more info/pics just to get a feel for seller. If you are serious about selling an expensive game you can take a few seconds to send a pic and answer a few questions.

#54 3 years ago

I've read through all the responses and while there are tons of good ones I can't believe that this one was never mentioned. The number one sign of a tire kicker to me is when they show up alone in a vehicle that couldn't possibly transport a pin. Right then and there you know your time is going to be wasted and you're not going to be making a sale. Start mentally preparing yourself for random conversations and requests to see and play your other games.

#55 3 years ago
    Quoted from Agent_Hero:

The sellers adding in the usual wiggle room is perfect fodder for tire kickers. Price it to sell and it will likely sell before you even have to respond to a them. If you're expecting to come down $300-$500 why are you wasting time with such back & forth shenanigans? Are you hoping for a sucker to overpay?

Can't say I have priced anything that high over an average price. I have seen some hilariously high prices on CL though.

#56 3 years ago
    Quoted from locksmith:

No a Pinball tire kicker.

I didn't know pinballs had tires.

#57 3 years ago

they got a pinside handle!

#58 3 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

they got a pinside handle!

More than one no doubt.

#59 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I didn't know pinballs had tires.

Bolts to the legs. It's a pin moving mod. Rumor is next Summer a light mod for them is coming out. Huge RGB show as you move the game around that slows down when you glide the game into position.

LTG : )

#60 3 years ago

I am up front if I am a buyer and just kicking tires. I usually state in in my first message.

#61 3 years ago

When I sell a pin it sells within a few days. I honor "1st come first serve"...unless the next guy is ready to come out, where as the 1st guy ahead is still thinking, I'll let him know I'm, moving on to someone that actually wants to show up asap if he doesn't want to move on it at that point, so be it.
    I price my pins to sell, and as a buyer, it it to your advantage to check it out, many have said later.." I should have jumped and I missed out" when told it is sold.

The time to buy is when what you want is close by.. shows up, if turns out it is described correctly you win. Tire kickers always loose.

#62 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

9 - asks to see other games you aren't selling
    10 - wants to play your other games ignores purchasing the one they came to see

I am guilty of these, but I am certainly not a tire kicker. I always ask about other games in case they are selling or might be interested in a sale/trade in the future.

If someone has a pin I really love, I just have to ask if I can play it. I'm like a kid in a candy store. I can't resist.

As far as tire-kickers go, I think communication is important. The problem is that they tend to communicate with their actions instead of words (actions of stalling and not buying, of course). A real buyer is always moving forward (talking price, meet up times, pertinent questions, etc).

#63 3 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Had a guy in IN pm me about my Corvette for trade. A million questions and two different requests for pics (ps--can you send me interior pics too?). Dude. It's a 10k car for 5k.
    I told him he asked too many questions, TL;DR, bye.

If you were closer to me, I would definitely be interested. I saw your ad and started drooling.

Quoted from jawjaw:

I've encountered sellers that are not really selling. I also love sellers that immediately take a long vacation right after posting. Others like some mentioned here act like it's a huge bother to answer a few questions or send a few extra pics.

I had an interesting encounter as a seller just the other day. I will try to keep it vague just in case anyone knows the individual (I have never met or dealt with this person before, however, so I don't know them):

Someone was looking for a pretty specific item, which I just so happen to have. I hadn't really thought about selling it, but this person seemed to be in need, so I reached out. It is a "particular" enough item that I really don't know what it is worth, but I sent several pics and told them to just throw me a price. They refused and became indignant. I messaged again saying I had no idea of the value (this item isn't something that EVER sells or has ANY way of looking up a value on it, whatsoever), and I was just trying to help them out...so feel free to throw me a number. They were again clearly turned off and ended the conversation saying that I "valued it more than them."

I'm not sure if they were trying to get it free/cheap, or if they thought I wanted an outrageous amount. The truth is, I still have no clue what it's worth, but I would have probably taken far less than its' actual worth just to help them out. Oh well...

#64 3 years ago

If I have a game on classifieds with a few photos and someone is quick to offer a lowball price without any prior questions , I usually know it’s a tire kicker. That’s for dealing with strangers. People I know are usually good for their offer as they trust what I am selling.

#65 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I really don't know what it is worth, but I sent several pics and told them to just throw me a price.

Maybe it's me. I wouldn't put a price on another persons stuff. I tell them that, and if they find out what it is worth and figure out a price, get back to me. I am interested in buying it.

Quoted from Daditude:

Someone was looking for a pretty specific item, which I just so happen to have. I hadn't really thought about selling it, but this person seemed to be in need, so I reached out.

Way back before a lot of the parts were remade for pinball and arcade. I had a lot of obsolete to my use goodies. When on the newsgroups if I saw someone in need of a part, if I knew I had it and where it was, I'd email them and ask for their address and I'd mail it to them. Free.

Many times I ran into munged email addresses or even ones that simply didn't exist. Afraid of spam or something. This was brought up on an arcade newsgroup and I made the mistake of pointing out that if someone wanted something. Make it easy to contact them. The responses to that was incredible. I'm an a hole, if I can't unmunge an email address I had no business helping people with tech support. I should make a list of everything I had so people knew ( probably 5 big boxes of stuff ) what I had. If I wanted to go to all that work I'd sell it on Ebay.

Cured me of trying. I gave it all to locals that could use it for their games.

#66 3 years ago

I see lots of tire kickers. They always start out with a request for lots and lots of pictures. Then they want a detailed history of the game from the time it was manufactured until today. Then they request more detailed pictures. This despite the fact that in my opinion pictures NEVER show condition and/or flaws as clearly as an in-person examination. And despite the fact that they might live only 45 minutes away but can't be bothered to drive out to see it in person.

Then, they proceed to tell you the pricing history of the game for the past several years and what they have sold for on Pinside, Craigslist, Ebay, the pinball guide price list, etc etc etc. They tell you what they sold this very game themselves for 15 years ago. They follow this with wanting to know if I will go lower than asking, again without even having bothered to come see the game. Usually at this point, they will point out some teeny tiny flaw in the game that keeps it from quite matching their standard of perfection. As if they are buying a factory new shiny BMW straight from the dealers lot, rather than a game that has been on the street for possibly 30 years, and which was not advertised as a HEP restoration or museum grade restoration. And is not priced as such either! Finally, they make tentative plans to see the game, but not this week as they are very busy. Possibly next Saturday... yeah, next Saturday for sure, except that you either never hear from them again or when next Saturday comes, they don't show up and when you text they tell you their plans changed, their dog died, their girlfriend doesn't want to drive so far to look at a dirty old pinball, etc etc etc!

How about this? Don't call about a game and ask for lots and lots of pictures unless you are truly interested in buying that game, and paying at or near the listed price, give or take for condition issues. Don't waste my time or yours with stupid haggling when you aren't really interested in actually buying the game or you think you want it but at $1k less than asking. Or don't bother calling if you can't actually buy the game until you sell something from your current collection to make room or to generate the needed cash or whatever. If I wanted to sell the game 4 months from now, I would have listed it 4 months from now, not now!

I actually had someone contact me to buy a game, went through the picture process, price negotiation, only to discover this eager buyer was looking to buy next Christmas. No, not this Christmas like in 4 months from now, but NEXT Christmas, like in 16 months from now!! WTF??

When I call about a game I am interested in, I offer to show up in the next 45 minutes with CASH and a truck! I may well offer less than asking if I get there and the condition is not as described, but I don't waste your time or mine negotiating over a game I have not even seen.

#67 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I am guilty of these, but I am certainly not a tire kicker. I always ask about other games in case they are selling or might be interested in a sale/trade in the future.

I do the same thing. If someone has a game I want but its a 5 hour drive, I always try to make it worth my time and get as many games as I can. I also know when to back off. I will never ask about games in the background of an ad or that are sent to me. I will ask if they have anything else to sell. You need to let them think they offered the game. You can come off as pushy and they might get salty towards you and ruin your chances on buying anything.

#68 3 years ago
    Quoted from freeplay3:

I do the same thing. If someone has a game I want but its a 5 hour drive, I always try to make it worth my time and get as many games as I can. I also know when to back off. I will never ask about games in the background of an ad or that are sent to me. I will ask if they have anything else to sell. You need to let them think they offered the game. You can come off as pushy and they might get salty towards you and ruin your chances on buying anything.

It never bothers me if people ask about another game they see I have. If it is for sale (usually), I give them a price. If it isn't, I tell them. What I don't like is people who call about one game I am advertising, then get angry that another game I have is not for sale, and then decide they don't want the first game either because they are angry about the second game. All that means is when I finally do decide to sell the second game, that person will definitely be on the pay no mind list!

#69 3 years ago
    Quoted from sbmania:

How about this? Don't call about a game and ask for lots and lots of pictures unless you are truly interested in buying that game, and paying at or near the listed price, give or take for condition issues. Don't waste my time or yours with stupid haggling when you aren't really interested in actually buying the game or you think you want it

I had these types come on the car lot all of the time. I developed a theory. The wife would not listen to him. His kids were busy with their friends and old enough they did not give him the attention hw wanted.

Bored an lonely, he hits the car lots and harasses the sales rep with mindless talk about worthless car stuff and wastes the salesman's time and after 20-30 minutes he leaves for another car lot and another sales rep's time to waste. And all it cost him was the gas to drive around town for his cheap entertainment. And then you will him hear talk about the " shitty sales guy at that car lot over there who tried to screw me."

When you are selling it comes with the territory.

The best thing going now for an individual seller is that you put up all of the free ads you want on Craigs List. Some guys put up multiple ads hoping for any extra visibility.

In the old days, you called the news paper, bought a 5 day, 7 day, or 14 day ad, or a weekend ad. And they were not free. We did not have answering machines in those days, so unless you had family who could take the calls for you, you were pretty much stuck near the telephone while your ad was running. It sucked.

Now, we have Craigslist, cell phones and text. You can put up all of your pins for sale, go on about your schedule, and check the answering machine when you get home.

#70 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Bored an lonely,

I've often thought that was part of it.

Lots of lonely people out there starved for any attention or interaction with people.

#71 3 years ago
    Quoted from sbmania:What I don't like is people who call about one game I am advertising, then get angry that another game I have is not for sale, and then decide they don't want the first game either because they are angry about the second game.

I have never had that exact thing happen, at least...i don't think. I have had numerous people ask about other games that aren't for sale and then completely disregard the game that was for sale.
    I don't recall anyone getting angry, but several have talked/asked endlessly about other pins.

I don't mind if they ask, but the best thing to do is just tell me to reach out to them when I do sell....because I will actually do it.

#72 3 years ago
    Quoted from NevadaNutJob:

I on a called and asked about a truck on Craigslist . I asked to come for a test drive same day but buyer couldn’t meet until the next day . 45 minute drive to get there . I show up walk around the truck , ask the usual - “any problems , what’s been replaced “ - etc . We go for a test drive and half way through on the way back to his place I say “ I’ll take it “ and I have cash in my pocket . He then tells me it’s already sold . Asshole ! Why did you let me drive that far to come see it and waste my time ?

We went to look at a house for sale. Same thing. We will give you full price. Guy says it is sold. Just wanted to see if I could get more. AH!

#73 3 years ago
    Quoted from NevadaNutJob:

I on a called and asked about a truck on Craigslist... We go for a test drive and half way through on the way back to his place I say “ I’ll take it “ and I have cash in my pocket . He then tells me it’s already sold . Asshole ! Why did you let me drive that far to come see it and waste my time ?

*mind blown emoticon* what in the world ???

#74 3 years ago

I made a commitment to buy an old EM today. No tire kicking at all.

It will be a good old fashioned cash on the glass deal.

The asking price is fair so we did not even discuss that.

We did discuss the mechanical aspects of the machine. And appearance.

If it is all it is cracked up to be, I'll be happy.

If the machine is a POS when I get there and something about it isn't as discussed? Well, at least I haven't played the "what's your best price" card yet.

#75 3 years ago

I'm now wondering if I've scared off a seller thinking I am a tire kicker...

He has listed a Hobbit locally on FB twice. I've asked two questions:

1. Which version of the The Hobbit is it?
    2. When can I come see it?

I can't get a response. I eventually worked out that it's a Black Arrow, but I'm not going to commit to buying it without taking a look at the thing.

#76 3 years ago

I always ask "Whats your best price" first thing. If its too high I won't waist your time or mine on talking unproductively.
    I bought a Fun house pinball machine, Ice Cold Beer and a Slot machine this year and it was easy. Went with money in hand because I
    knew the bottom line and felt that was what I wanted.

#77 3 years ago

A tough question. I don't think there is an easy answer.

On one hand you have sellers asking many thousands of dollars for machines but provide vague responses to legitimate inquires, take shitty pictures, and expect people to travel from hours away on that info hoping for the best. Not a big deal if you are local but nobody wants to waste their time driving a long distance to find an over priced, misrepresented turd.

Then you have buyers who want an exceptional deal on a game where a knowledgeable/friendly seller is asking a legitimate fair market price (or better). Asking tons of questions and asking for a million pictures just window shopping.

I think the easiest way to figure out the buyer/seller's legitimacy is to pick up the phone and talk to them. It's quicker and easier to weed out the flakes that way.

#78 3 years ago

I generally don't respond to an ad unless I have a good idea of what I want to pay and it meshes with the seller. Sometimes, though, you don't have a lot of choice in it. The very first real pins I bought were a Gorgar and Viking, pulled out of an actual barn. The pics weren't great, and they didn't know how to open the machine to show the boards and interior. So, I tell them that I'll drive up(it's a 1.75 hour drive one way) and bring cash, but I'm not making a final offer until I get a good look. I ended up picking up both games for the price of one.
    The other one that comes to mind was an overpriced(like, WAY overpriced) game in a neighboring town. It was floating on ebay for a while, so I eventually asked some questions. Turns out, he was fishing for offers and mentioned he had two more machines. I ended up checking them out and making an offer on all three. Picked them up for less than the original listing. He was happy, I was happy.

#79 3 years ago

As much as I would have liked to tire kick I decided to just pay the guy his asking price of $275.00. I didn't even ask to inspect the boards!

Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 7.11.42 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-08-30 at 7.11.42 PM (resized).png
    #80 3 years ago

Have to admit I’ve kicked a few tires before. I’ve also bought many, many pins. However my tire kicking is always before I come to look at a game. If I’m coming to look at a game and leave without it. It pretty much comes down to price and of condition of game.
    I don’t mind tire kickers looking at games I’m selling. I’ve sold enough to know you win some, lose some. If I suspect the person is a tire kicker. I move the game to the garage and close off the view to the game room. Once the deal is done then I let people see my other pins.

#81 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I've often thought that was part of it.
    Lots of lonely people out there starved for any attention or interaction with people.

You guys remember Castaway with Tom Hanks? Yeah, I’d be staying on the island. Pan away, sole suntanned me spear fishing...roll credits.

#82 3 years ago

I realize that I might have an unpopular opinion here. But, if you want to avoid tire kickers, you are best off only listing your pin for sale on Pinside. The majority of people out there don't put the value on these things that we do. On the very rare occasion that friends and family find out what I have paid for some of my games, they are legitimately shocked. Most non pinheads that I have talked to about this assume that there's no way a 30 year old machine would sell for more than $300. I've had a lot of people ask me to find them (or friends) games and I do my best to refuse in the most polite way I can because I don't want to be involved with their expectations for me to find them a "deal". When you post a game on CL, FB, or anywhere else, you are subjecting yourself to the opinions of the general populace that does not value these games the way that we do. You are going to run into some that think we are crazy and should sell our TZs for $300.

#83 3 years ago
    Quoted from JoeHog:

I always ask "Whats your best price" first thing. If its too high I won't waist your time or mine on talking unproductively.
    I bought a Fun house pinball machine, Ice Cold Beer and a Slot machine this year and it was easy. Went with money in hand because I
    knew the bottom line and felt that was what I wanted.

Asking "what's your best price" is the same as asking the seller to bid against/lowball himself.

#84 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kwaheltrut:

I realize that I might have an unpopular opinion here. But, if you want to avoid tire kickers, you are best off only listing your pin for sale on Pinside.

You’re best to find a buyer before you even have to list it anywhere imo. So much easier. Once it’s listed on a public forum, who knows if it’s going to be an easy sale or buy.

#85 3 years ago

There are several types of pinball buyers. And sellers.

1) A $2500.00 pin is priced at $500.00. Here come the sharks.

2) A $500.00 pin is priced at $2500.00. Buy this and you are fresh fish.

3) A $500.00 pin is priced at $2500.00 and the seller is a greedy son of a bitch.

4) A $2500.00 pin is priced at $500.00. And the seller is an idiot. Unless a shark is the buyer, of course.

5) A "buyer" with no money is a dreamer. Or a broke dick.

#86 3 years ago
    Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Asking "what's your best price" is the same as asking the seller to bid against/lowball himself.

Let's face it, some people like to negotiate and others don't. If a person doesn't have FIRM in their listing and particularly if it says OBO, you know they'll consider less, so I don't think folks should take offense to this. Sometimes a person might have a $500-1000+ range less they're willing to take & you never know how motivated the seller is. In 2007 I bought a HUO LOTR off Craigslist the guy had priced at $4500. It was really outside my price range, but I complimented the guy on it, asked why he was selling and asked him his best price hoping maybe he'd come down to the $3500-3750 range, which was still going to be a bit of a stretch for me. He shared he and his son never played it and he'd take $3K for it. Drove 4 hours the next day to pick it up! You just never know how flexible someone might be and if I'd have just passed it by based on his listed price, I'd never have enjoyed that game for the 5 years I had it.

#87 3 years ago

Not a fan of the best price question when there is a price in my ad. Negotiating generally has some back and forth. That question probably won't be accepted as a true lowest number and is rather just the new starting point for the person asking. I usually respond with something along the lines of you are welcome toake an offer but I am not interested in arbitrarily lowering my price.

#88 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

You’re best to find a buyer before you even have to list it anywhere imo. So much easier. Once it’s listed on a public forum, who knows if it’s going to be an easy sale or buy.

Networking. Developing pin friends.

#89 3 years ago

#90 3 years ago
    Quoted from BanditBen:

It was really outside my price range, but I complimented the guy on it, asked why he was selling

Perfect.

The one thing you don't do to try and get the price down is to tell the seller what he has is a POS. Even if it is a POS, you can't say that.

#91 3 years ago

They tell you they have been buying pinball machines for years but when they show up don't know where the power button is or how to get the glass/lockdown bar off.

#92 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

7 - makes ridiculous offer

Whats that?

Everything i've ever bought on the net, via personal ad's i've low-balled heavily.
    People might tell you to go showe it, but sometimes they get back to you after a couple of weeks, and then you can negotiate.

So this means i'm a tire kicker?

I allways thought it was just me only interested in making a good deal.
    Today people might need to sell, the term "market value" means very little, esp for non-essential really expensive stuff.

#93 3 years ago

I'm the cheapest person I know.
    I show up, get scared.
    Ill beat you down, wear you out, and beg me to leave. Ill find everything wrong with game in minutes. Ill complain about everything. Let you know how easy this would have been to fix.
    But, Im nice about it.
    Ill either leave with the pin at my price, or leave not wanting to pay what you thought it was worth.
    Either way, i will leave you with more knowledge on your game and pricing than you thought you knew.
    Once...very true, i left, i wasn't at end of street and he called me to come back and get it.
    He said...." I just dont want to deal with anyone else on craigslist and you were nice about it."
    I always kick the tires.

#94 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-pin:

So this means i'm a tire kicker?

If you are serious and intend to buy the item, no. You aren't a tire kicker.

People that make ridiculous offers and never intended to buy even if low offer accepted, are tire kickers.

#95 3 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

They will also offer you more money to jump the line, but it’s a lie because they are just wanting to get to the front to haggle first.

If they offer more, why not counter with: "OK, Send me a NON-REFUNDABLE Deposit to hold the game for 2 Days"

#96 3 years ago

The easiest thing in the world to sell right now is pinball machines. If one guy is asking for more photos or peppering me with questions, I just go to the next guy with less to say and more cash on the glass.

I've found in my years of selling, the more they have to say, the less they want to buy.

#97 3 years ago

I work with everyone and go in the order that people contact me. if he's a tire kicker so what. I'll show him the game, shoot the shit, and move on to the next in line. price you pay when selling stuff. But you put up with some of that fluff, and sometimes it pans out.

#98 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I'm the cheapest person I know.
    I show up, get scared.
    Ill beat you down, wear you out, and beg me to leave. Ill find everything wrong with game in minutes. Ill complain about everything.

Speaking of "in minutes"...... That is probably how long it would be before you would be putting your vehicle in reverse and exiting my property. But I will be nice about it

#99 3 years ago

Shows up with two door sports car and mini maglite.

#100 3 years ago
    Quoted from ejg10532626:

If a guy nickels and dimes you, and tried to tell you what YOUR game is worth.
    Tire kicker.

This. Also, anyone who in their first message to you asks for your “best price” is almost assuredly a tire kicker.

There are 107 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-spot-a-tire-kicker/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.