IMG_1741 (resized).JPG
IMG_1747 (resized).JPG
771420917d619a061f29340c7c3b569406c48e40 (resized).jpg
IMG_8726 (resized).JPG
889c84aab4689155a0beccf0cf3471fc95dce0cd (resized).jpg
IMG_8720 (resized).JPG
IMG_8722 (resized).JPG
IMG_8715 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 2 years ago

You left ball guide is too long. That can be fixed with not too much effort.

Your right guide looks like it is sitting too low and too close to the flipper and might cause some flipper hop. I had flipper hop on one of my pins and figured out a way to relocate the hole for the guide. Its is easy to do. If you are interested, I can show you how to move the right guide a little higher and away from the flipper.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from sparky672:

Too long... as in the factory did something wrong?

If the ball guide was just a little bit shorter, then the flipper would not be pushing into the flipper rubber.

771420917d619a061f29340c7c3b569406c48e40 (resized).jpg771420917d619a061f29340c7c3b569406c48e40 (resized).jpg

Flipper hop, or ball hop, happens when a ball guide is located incorrectly at the factory. If the ball guide is sitting below the heel of the flipper you will get flipper hop. This is from one of my pins. The flipper hop was enough that it was hard to get a good hit on the ball. This kind of action is of no problem to the operator because he just wants your coins. He does not care if the pin is not set up for optimal playing.

This is my left flipper. All was well.

IMG_1741 (resized).JPGIMG_1741 (resized).JPG

This is my right side. When the ball rolled down that guide it would hit the flipper rubber and bounce.

IMG_1747 (resized).JPGIMG_1747 (resized).JPG

To fix the hop problem I took a piece of plexiglass and drilled a hole in it. Then I placed the guide into the hole and pushed it up to the wood block to locate the guide correctly. I placed the guide just a little bit above the heel of the flipper so I would get a smooth roll from the guide to the flipper. With guide now positioned correctly I taped the plexiglass to the play field and removed the guide. Then I drilled a new hole. I incorrect hole was filled with wood dowel and touched up with black paint.

plactic template (resized).JPGplactic template (resized).JPG

If the left pic, you can see where I drilled the new hole using the plexiglass as a guide.

wire guide plugged (resized).pngwire guide plugged (resized).png

Quoted from sparky672:

What is flipper-hop? There are no issues on the right... the bat is touching nothing. Maybe my photo's perspective is warped.

But if you don't have any flipper hop what I wrote above does not apply to you.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-solve-flipper-interference-with-guide-rail?tu=cottonm4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.