IMG_1747 (resized).JPG
771420917d619a061f29340c7c3b569406c48e40 (resized).jpg
IMG_8726 (resized).JPG
889c84aab4689155a0beccf0cf3471fc95dce0cd (resized).jpg
IMG_8720 (resized).JPG
IMG_8722 (resized).JPG
IMG_8715 (resized).JPG
#1 2 years ago

Working on a 1981 Gottlieb Volcano and I noticed the left flipper is touching and rubbing the ball guide rail. It's really close and when the flipper activates, it's chewing into the rubber. I rotated the rubber to a new spot and after only a couple days of play there's another nick in the rubber. It's due for new rings but I don't want to put them on before solving this issue.

Flipper touches ball guide railFlipper touches ball guide rail

I tried bending the guide rail away but there's only so much I can do without making it loose or having it bend away and looking stupid. Right now, it's fairly perpendicular to the playfield as it probably should be. It looks good visually for whatever I know.

Then I thought maybe there's an adjustment or some wiggle in the flipper mechanism underneath. Nope. Screws fit the holes really well and I cannot move the flipper assembly away from the edge of the rail.

Is this a common issue and what would be an acceptable permanent solution?

Thank you!

EDIT: Just realized that maybe the flipper bats need to rotated backwards. The rubber only touches when the flipper fully extends. What is the proper resting position?

EDIT 2: If the top edge of the flipper bats are supposed to be parallel to the ball guides, I'm screwed. They are already rotated somewhat down from this position (maybe ⅛" or more at the tip), so if I make them parallel as being discussed in other threads, the problem of interference upon extension is going to get worse.

#2 2 years ago

Have you checked the coil stops? Are they too short or worn down?

Check to make sure those are the correct flipper bats for that machine.

Generally I like my flippers parallel to the rails. Post some pics from the top view when it is down and when fully extended.

If you can't figure it out, someone makes thin flipper rubbers which might help. Can't remember who right now.

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from sparky672:

Just realized that maybe the flipper bats need to rotated backwards. The rubber only touches when the flipper fully extends. What is the proper resting position?

Gottlieb never really specified where the flippers should be. Usually the common wisdom in that case is to make them parallel to the guides, although if you look at the original flyer for this game on IPDB they seem to be adjusted a bit lower.

Quoted from Black_Knight:

If you can't figure it out, someone makes thin flipper rubbers which might help.

Titan makes thin rubbers, but not for gottlieb flippers

#4 2 years ago

Thank you both for the response.

Have you checked the coil stops? Are they too short or worn down?

I can remove and inspect, but don't even know how I'd determine this. Are there specifications posted online for correct length?

Honestly, this machine was in fairly good condition when I got it. There is very little dust, dirt, grime, or metal wear on most of the parts. Everything was mechanically sound. I suppose it's possible the wrong stop was installed by somebody in the past and I'd never know it, but from what I'm seeing the parts there now have little wear.

Check to make sure those are the correct flipper bats for that machine.

C-13150 is the bat number according to the manual. Looking at Marco, it appears to be the same, and the custom rubber kit for this machine also fit properly last time I did it.

Generally I like my flippers parallel to the rails.

Yes, that's what I've read. However, mine are slightly down, and making parallel will force the bats to touch the rails even more than now.

Post some pics from the top view when it is down and when fully extended.

downdown

extendedextended

Quoted from zacaj:

Gottlieb never really specified where the flippers should be. Usually the common wisdom in that case is to make them parallel to the guides, although if you look at the original flyer for this game on IPDB they seem to be adjusted a bit lower.

Yes, the drawing in my manual shows the same... slightly down. And thank you for mentioning the flyer. I looked at it and the flippers in the flyer are actually set even lower than mine. Maybe that's the answer.

flyerflyer

#5 2 years ago

As per the flyer, I aligned my bats to be parallel along the bottom edge rather than the top. It fixed the issue, but barely.

re-alignedre-aligned

I actually think it plays better this way. Before, the right flipper came up so much it had a tendency to sometimes back the ball up the right guide rail and down the drain. Since it extends less now, the ball goes back up the playfield instead.

#6 2 years ago

As a last resort you can elongate the holes in the flipper base plate with a drill so you can move the whole flipper assembly away slightly. Usually the hole that the flipper bushing goes through is larger so you hopefully have a little room to move things slightly.

3 weeks later
#7 2 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

As a last resort you can elongate the holes in the flipper base plate with a drill so you can move the whole flipper assembly away slightly. Usually the hole that the flipper bushing goes through is larger so you hopefully have a little room to move things slightly.

I put new rubber on the game and the problem came back... I ended up filling three of the six mounting holes with wood glue and toothpicks. Then I rotated the mounting plate slightly. Three mounting holes stayed the same and the three closest to the flipper shaft shifted just a little. Only about a half a screw hole of offset. The bat is now oriented more symmetrically over the playfield circle and the bat's new rubber clears the guide rail by maybe 1/32", not much but it clears.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from sparky672:

I put new rubber on the game and the problem came back... I ended up filling three of the six mounting holes with wood glue and toothpicks. Then I rotated the mounting plate slightly. Three mounting holes stayed the same and the three closest to the flipper shaft shifted just a little. Only about a half a screw hole of offset. The bat is now oriented more symmetrically over the playfield circle and the bat's new rubber clears the guide rail by maybe 1/32", not much but it clears.

Glad the idea helped. If you want to gain another 1/32 you can use a drill bit slightly larger than the holes currently on the baseplate and that might give you a tiny bit more wiggle room but if it clears it clears, good job!

#9 2 years ago

You left ball guide is too long. That can be fixed with not too much effort.

Your right guide looks like it is sitting too low and too close to the flipper and might cause some flipper hop. I had flipper hop on one of my pins and figured out a way to relocate the hole for the guide. Its is easy to do. If you are interested, I can show you how to move the right guide a little higher and away from the flipper.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

You left ball guide is too long.

Too long... as in the factory did something wrong?

Quoted from cottonm4:

That can be fixed with not too much effort.

How so? I'd rather not tear up the play-field if I don't have to.

Quoted from cottonm4:

Your right guide looks like it is sitting too low and too close to the flipper and might cause some flipper hop.

What is flipper-hop? There are no issues on the right... the bat is touching nothing. Maybe my photo's perspective is warped.

Thank you!

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from sparky672:

Too long... as in the factory did something wrong?

If the ball guide was just a little bit shorter, then the flipper would not be pushing into the flipper rubber.

771420917d619a061f29340c7c3b569406c48e40 (resized).jpg771420917d619a061f29340c7c3b569406c48e40 (resized).jpg

Flipper hop, or ball hop, happens when a ball guide is located incorrectly at the factory. If the ball guide is sitting below the heel of the flipper you will get flipper hop. This is from one of my pins. The flipper hop was enough that it was hard to get a good hit on the ball. This kind of action is of no problem to the operator because he just wants your coins. He does not care if the pin is not set up for optimal playing.

This is my left flipper. All was well.

IMG_1741 (resized).JPGIMG_1741 (resized).JPG

This is my right side. When the ball rolled down that guide it would hit the flipper rubber and bounce.

IMG_1747 (resized).JPGIMG_1747 (resized).JPG

To fix the hop problem I took a piece of plexiglass and drilled a hole in it. Then I placed the guide into the hole and pushed it up to the wood block to locate the guide correctly. I placed the guide just a little bit above the heel of the flipper so I would get a smooth roll from the guide to the flipper. With guide now positioned correctly I taped the plexiglass to the play field and removed the guide. Then I drilled a new hole. I incorrect hole was filled with wood dowel and touched up with black paint.

plactic template (resized).JPGplactic template (resized).JPG

If the left pic, you can see where I drilled the new hole using the plexiglass as a guide.

wire guide plugged (resized).pngwire guide plugged (resized).png

Quoted from sparky672:

What is flipper-hop? There are no issues on the right... the bat is touching nothing. Maybe my photo's perspective is warped.

But if you don't have any flipper hop what I wrote above does not apply to you.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

If the ball guide was just a little bit shorter, then the flipper would not be pushing into the flipper rubber.

Yes, I recognize that, but shortening (or just moving) a guide rail seems like a lot more work (especially since it's work that can be seen) than simply moving the bat a little. In my case, I just needed a little clearance for the rubber.

Quoted from cottonm4:

But if you don't have any flipper hop what I wrote above does not apply to you.

Wow. Good work on your modification!

No, I have no flipper-hop on either side. I was confused because you mentioned my RH ball guide, but I have no issues there.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-solve-flipper-interference-with-guide-rail and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.