Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by SonicZone
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

23-6629 (resized).jpg
    9294E2FF-202B-4AC7-808B-1015A5261E6B (resized).png
    #1 5 years ago

I'm possibly going to help fix a Williams Diner that has a very loud knocker. It's just too loud. I've read about trying to use a felt furniture leg foot to soften the blow, but does that help enough? What other suggestions? Adding a resistor in series with the coil? Adjusting/loosening the position of the coil?

#2 5 years ago

You could unplug the connector. Won't be loud at all then.

Otherwise I'd say some sort of sound deadening material between the rod and plate would be a good start.

#3 5 years ago

I put a piece of paper or thin cardboard (like they put in the back of dress shirts) folded about 3 times and tape it to the plate

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

You could unplug the connector. Won't be loud at all then.
    Otherwise I'd say some sort of sound deadening material between the rod and plate would be a good start.

Ha... yeah, I guess that would be pretty quiet. The game is in a restaurant and feels like it's a bit disruptive to customers when it cracks that loud knock. Deadening material seems like a good try.

#5 5 years ago

Maybe put a rubber shooter rod tip over the knocker plunger.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from rlbohon3:

Ha... yeah, I guess that would be pretty quiet. The game is in a restaurant and feels like it's a bit disruptive to customers when it cracks that loud knock. Deadening material seems like a good try.

I'd remove it then
    the restaurant makes money from diners, not pinball

#7 5 years ago

Unscrew it and remount it so the plunger just strikes (touches) the plate.

#8 5 years ago

This is sacrilege.

#9 5 years ago

I like knockers

#10 5 years ago

Don't mess with a loud knocker.

9294E2FF-202B-4AC7-808B-1015A5261E6B (resized).png9294E2FF-202B-4AC7-808B-1015A5261E6B (resized).png
    #12 5 years ago

Pull the coil, remove the knocker rod, replace the coil.

#13 5 years ago

Quieten.

#14 5 years ago

A felt furniture pad works perfect. Pre-cut and ready to stick. On my machine it took the crack out but still gives a nice thud.

#15 5 years ago

Buy a stern

#16 5 years ago

I agree with the OP. I like the sound of a real knocker but it can be too loud. A way to quiet it just a bit would be great. Let us know the results of your attempts.

#17 5 years ago

Thanks for the responses. The game is in an old 50's diner/drive-in. Perfect setting for the Diner game. It just happens to crack that knocker like a gun going off. It's seriously one of the loudest knockers I've heard.

Good tips on the felt furniture pad or rubber pad. I hope to give that a try if the restaurant owner will let me help him out with his machine. Definitely looking for a good thud to be heard/felt but not a .40 caliber being shot.

#18 5 years ago

If its too loud, you're too old.

#19 5 years ago

remove the metal strike plate

#20 5 years ago

At least it's not that damn screech from newer Stern games.

#21 5 years ago

Wait this isn’t your game and the guy hasn’t asked for help? You’re just going to offer it out of the blue?
    Not sure how it’s gonna go over but best of luck. I think if he hasn’t cut it off (like so many DE games I have seen) then he likes it

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Wait this isn’t your game and the guy hasn’t asked for help? You’re just going to offer it out of the blue?
    Not sure how it’s gonna go over but best of luck. I think if he hasn’t cut it off (like so many DE games I have seen) then he likes it

It’s one of a number of things I’m offering to help him with.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from rlbohon3:

The game is in an old 50's diner/drive-in. Perfect setting for the Diner game.

Quoted from PopBumperPete:

the restaurant makes money from diners, not pinball

Good one!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-soften-or-quieten-a-loud-knocker?hl=hayfarmer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.