Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by fosaisu
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    C27B3AEE-39D3-48B7-8F71-B4A3673B00C1 (resized).jpeg
    #1 2 years ago

I've been struggling with yelling at myself a lot while playing lately. Usually, I will just shoot something on the fly, screw up a shot, and then have an outline drain, when I KNOW I should have done things differently. This is usually followed by myself calling myself a f*cking idiot or something like that real loud.

I've been told I'm being too hard on myself.

What are your tips and tricks to shut the hell up when playing?

#2 2 years ago

A day or two of this would straighten you right out:

C27B3AEE-39D3-48B7-8F71-B4A3673B00C1 (resized).jpegC27B3AEE-39D3-48B7-8F71-B4A3673B00C1 (resized).jpeg
    #3 2 years ago
    Quoted from radial_head:

I've been struggling with yelling at myself a lot while playing lately. Usually, I will just shoot something on the fly, screw up a shot, and then have an outline drain, when I KNOW I should have done things differently. This is usually followed by myself calling myself a f*cking idiot or something like that real loud.

Turn the game volume up, because it’s impossible for me to play and not call myself a dipshit. If the game’s loud enough you can hardly hear yourself bitching. Also, you can get a Rick and Morty. That game calls you a fucking idiot so you don’t have to say anything.

#4 2 years ago

While I criticize my own playing my biggest issue is swearing when I do screw up. I’d be booted out of a PAPA tournament in a heartbeat for my foul language. I try to work on it when I play but it still comes out.

#5 2 years ago

Keep a drink close by.

#6 2 years ago

I don't know, reading between the lines it seems like you could be the type of person who does best when under pressure and is actually motivated by self-rage. Perhaps not the healthiest approach, but for some people (like me) it definitely helps when things REALLY need to get DONE. Maybe the real problem is, you aren't being hard ENOUGH on yourself, lol!

I say embrace the profanity, revel in the rage, and emerge a stronger and better player!

Otherwise you should just get that bark collar or maybe a fifth of Russian Standard, or perhaps consult with your friendly neighborhood "budtender".

#7 2 years ago

Why would you ever want to stop?!

#8 2 years ago

Find someone else who does the same thing, and see what a bad look it is.
    Watch how others around them (that they can’t see) react to it, see how foolish they look, How people don’t even want to be around them.
    Realize you don’t want to look that way yourself.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

Find someone else who does the same thing, and see what a bad look it is.
    Watch how others around them (that they can’t see) react to it, see how foolish they look, How people don’t even want to be around them.
    Realize you don’t want to look that way yourself.

Watch Eric Stone or Adam Becker a few times if you think you are bad radial_head

#10 2 years ago

Either the shot goes where I want or I get yelled at, or the game gets yelled at. Someone's in trouble!

But seriously, I have a bad habit of a sudden "god damnit!" and clapping my hands together after a bad drain. As much as I try to combat it, there's always that bad bounce or deer in headlights moment right when you have the field set up for big scoring.

#11 2 years ago

a straw or toothpick?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #12 2 years ago

Maybe try some chewing gum.
    If that doesn't work for you, someone might say that you can't play pinball and chew gum at the same time.
    There's also the possibility that you can concentrate on the game so intently that you have nothing to say, unless you hit an out lane unexpectedly or tilt.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

Watch how others around them (that they can’t see) react to it... How people don’t even want to be around them.

F those guys. Why would anyone want to be around such judgemental pricks, anyway?

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from VALIS666:

I have a bad habit of a sudden "god damnit!" and clapping my hands together after a bad drain.

I generally manage to stifle the vocalizations, but I will definitely do the frustration clap after a drain.

#15 2 years ago

Sometimes bad behavior can get in the other players head and throw off their game. Unfortunately it drives some from wanting to compete.

#16 2 years ago

The place that I'm referencing is a bar that I frequent. I can definitely see another patron getting a little freaked out by someone slapping their leg and yelling "GOD DAMNIT YOU FUCKING IDIOT", when you know like, half the room are the local dental hygienists going out for an after work outing.

I tested some tricks out last night and here's one I had never thought of: call every single shot. Every one. Every nudge. Keeps my mouth active and by the time I have a side drain, I'm usually half way through a sentence. Also helped a ton with my shot accuracy somehow.

Unfortunately this has now turned me from "guy at bar who's really angry" into "guy who talks to himself constantly and is scary for a different reason."

Can't win 'em all.

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from radial_head:

Yell at the nearest person instead.

#18 2 years ago

You have to read the room. At a bar where you regularly tip the help? By all means, let the profanities rip. Playing in league or a tournament with youngsters around? Yell FRUITCAKE!!! instead of an F bomb. Emotion is part of every sport. The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat.

You do have to be able to control it. There's a world class player in my area that's essentially banned from tournament play because he can't control his emotions. Good guy and awesome player, just can't get a handle on it.

#19 2 years ago

I find that I play worse if I’m angry at myself. Maybe the incentive to not yell is just part of “playing better.” The first step in being able to make shots.

#20 2 years ago

Despite what I said earlier, yeah, no one likes to witness a meltdown. I've come close during league when a game reset while I was kicking its ass after coming from behind. Then again when the replacement game, an EM, handed me three house balls for fourth place. Not fun!

I dunno, wear a ball gag while playing? Although that would freak people out without you uttering a sound!

#21 2 years ago

I too have pinball tourettes.

I have learned to live with it.
    Since it should be considered a disease, i expect others to put up with it.

#22 2 years ago

Pick up smoking

#23 2 years ago

Shut up and kick like a donkey, show no pity for the dude standing behind you.

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

At a bar where you regularly tip the help?

I'm sorry, but are people still going to bars and not tipping at least 10%-20%?

#25 2 years ago

Play Black Knight SOR that should settle you right down..

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinballAir:

I too have pinball tourettes.
    I have learned to live with it.
    Since it should be considered a disease, i expect others to put up with it.

You're on to something here. I want my NIBs covered by insurance!

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Shut up and kick like a donkey, show no pity for the dude standing behind you.

Thanks for the laugh!

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from radial_head:

Just start saying nonsensical stuff like “farts!” Or “crud monkey!” If you start to make light of the situation it might help.

And 20% should be the starting point of your tip range.

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

And 20% should be the starting point of your tip range.

Agreed.

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

More
    Just start saying nonsensical stuff like “farts!” Or “crud monkey!”

Bob Saget!

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

Watch Eric Stone or Adam Becker a few times if you think you are bad radial_head

links? couldnt find any on the U tube...

#32 2 years ago

Example of a player going off. Trying to find the link to the infamous chair kick. **Found.

http://tiltforums.com/uploads/default/original/2X/3/312e265b48d2ab41bbb09bdf41f861d246c6c9af.GIF

1 month later
    #33 2 years ago

I have 4 kids so I found myself saying things like "fudgesicles" or "dagnabbit". It translates to when I play in public. I also oddly lift my leg when I screw up causing a drain. Best thing about changing words to silly but safe words it that I am creating 4 new pinheads that will also repeat these embarrassing behaviors in public.

#34 2 years ago

I curse like a sailor at TWD.

Also, find a bar not for dental hygienists having hushed conversations.

#35 2 years ago
    Quoted from sventinker:

I have 4 kids so I found myself saying things like "fudgesicles" or "dagnabbit".

What a drag it is getting old.

Quoted from sventinker:

I am creating 4 new pinheads that will also repeat these embarrassing behaviors in public.

Alright, this kind of redeems it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-shut-up-while-playing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.