mounted bracket (resized).jpg
image_67188225 (resized).JPG
IMG_0324 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0325 (resized).jpeg
10D22473-EA8E-4226-B841-88E37C57DD4A (resized).png
20211217_194235 (resized).jpg
20211217_194025 (resized).jpg
20211217_194130 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mattosborn.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#42 2 years ago
Quoted from Method_Own:

It’s not clear to me why people are plugging the RJ45 cables into the board on the back box. Shouldn’t all the secondary machines (those using the qr reader of the primary machine) just plug from node board 8 into the switching device?

If there’s an empty jack on the main board, it’s much easier to do the wiring from there. The only reason for chaining off another node board is for proximity to the apron. Since the secondary machine doesn’t have the reader on its apron, why would you want to run the wiring from there? You can keep the wiring entirely away from the playfield.

1 month later
#46 2 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Apologies for being dumb.
So something like this is not going to work?
https://www.amazon.com.au/Network-Splitter-Adapter-Ethernet-thernet/dp/B08PC312Y5/ref=asc_df_B08PC312Y5/?tag=googleshopmob-22&linkCode=df0&hvadid=463510390935&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6865773356109558784&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9071654&hvtargid=pla-1395764877497&psc=1
I would have liked to have the same QR logins go to all my connected machines, rather than saying this person A connected to tmnt, whilst person B connected to AIQ. Is this the only issue with switching so different accounts can be on different pins? When I have a few mates over we would login the same across all machines.
Or is the problem the signal will be too weak if just split without a switch.
Again apologies for being stupid, was going to PM you privately, but thought their may be other thick people out there as well.
Thanks in advance,
Thicky person.

The QR reader (and other node boards) use RJ45 connectors, but they are NOT ethernet. Do not try to use computer networking equipment. The switch boxes people are using to share a QR reader are simple physical switches that just change which lines pass through. They do not contain any active electronics.

#50 2 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Ok. I thought this splitter were just physical wires joined 3 ways to 1. No electronics.

The problem with that device is that there is no physical switch, so there's no way to isolate the connections. You can't use all 3 ports on that at once, since they are all tied together.

#55 2 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

I'm not a tech guy, but from what I gather I think would work this way with the different types of ethernet hubs/switches if you have a QR reader on one machine hooked up to 2 or more other machines through a hub/switch:
1) With a managed/physical ethernet hub/switch, you have to push the button on the switch that represents the machine that you want the QR scan sent to. The scan then only goes to that machine. Even if the other machines are powered on, the QR scan won't go to them because the hub isn't directing the signal down those cables. If you want to scan into a different machine then you have to push the button for that machine.
2) With an unmanaged ethernet hub/switch, when you scan into the QR reader the hub/switch just passes that signal through to all other machines hooked up to it. This would mean that if you scan into the QR reader that scan would register at every machine that is connected to the hub and is powered on. So you'd be starting a game on all those machines at once. If you only want to scan into only one particular machine you can't do it like you can with a managed hub.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking this is the main difference in how the managed vs. unmanaged hub/splitter would work for a QR reader hooked up to 2 or more other machines. I put the managed switch on mine so there wouldn't be an issue of scanning into multiple games when I didn't want to.

Again, the QR reader is NOT ethernet. The cable is using a serial protocol and has power. Do not try to hook up networking equipment.

#59 2 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Except that I have it hooked up to a managed hub so I can scan in on other machines and it works perfectly?

You have a physical switch box, which is not a managed network hub.

1 year later
#108 1 year ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

So it looks like any of the automated code download/install features will be unavailable even if you have the game setup on WiFi and then pull the scanner.

I believe the network updates will still work, assuming you set them to automatic when you had the scanner connected for the initial setup.
That's what I heard anyway.... I'm too impatient to wait for that download. I update my machines via USB as soon as I see a new release available on Stern's website.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Gov's Mods

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

Machine - For Sale
Wake Forest, NC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

10,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
DEAD POOL (PRO) Pre-order!
The Pinball Place

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 55.00
Playfield - Protection
Tucson Pinball

$ 22.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 210.00
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ScottieIA Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Chrome Candy

$ 18.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mattosborn.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-share-stern-ic-reader-with-other-games?tu=mattosborn and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.