(Topic ID: 206492)

How to share game code (S.A.M.) with someone else?

By gweempose

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by gweempose
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Stern Code Update Instructions (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

I have some modified code on my XMLE that I want to share with another Pinsider. I backed up the code using the built-in utility in the S.A.M. menu. This resulted in the creation of an .EBI file on the USB stick. I'm a bit confused, because I was expecting a .BIN file. Can the other person use the .EBI file to install my code on their game?

#2 6 years ago

I would think they could put in the USB and download. Although your savings settings if backed up would probably transfer to their pin.

#3 6 years ago

The USB MENU provides three (3)DIFFERENT functions:
to download game data,
to update your game code
or backup your code onto a USB Memory Stick.

please verify you selected backup code ...

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from Jeanclaudev:

The USB MENU provides three (3)DIFFERENT functions:
to download game data,
to update your game code
or backup your code onto a USB Memory Stick.

please verify you selected backup code ...

I just checked again, and I only see two options in the USB menu, "Update Game Code" and "Backup to USB Memory Stick".

#5 6 years ago

#6 6 years ago

Yes, there are only two options, and as i see you took the right one...
The third option (game data) is in the audit menu.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Jeanclaudev:

Yes, there are only two options, and as i see you took the right one...

Cool. So it looks like I did everything correctly on my end. I'm still waiting for someone to confirm that you can use the .EBI file to update the game code just like you would with a .BIN file. I assume you can, otherwise what would be the purpose of the file?

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Cool. So it looks like I did everything correctly on my end. I'm still waiting for someone to confirm that you can use the .EBI file to update the game code just like you would with a .BIN file. I assume you can, otherwise what would be the purpose of the file?

What is the size of your .ebi file?

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

What is the size of your .ebi file?

It is 31.6 MB, the same size as the stock code. My guess is that either the game will recognize the file, or you can simply change the extension to .bin and it will work.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

It is 31.6 MB, the same size as the stock code. My guess is that either the game will recognize the file, or you can simply change the extension to .bin and it will work.

I would concur, try an update with it.

#11 6 years ago

Okay, I just tested it, and the game does not recognize the .ebi file. Here's what's really strange. According to Stern's own pdf, there should be another option in the menu called "BKUP". I do not see this as an option anywhere in the BOOT EPROM menu. The only choice I am given is "UPDT".

Stern Code Update Instructions (resized).JPGStern Code Update Instructions (resized).JPG

#12 6 years ago

Well, I just got off the phone with Stern, and even they are confused by this one.

#13 6 years ago

Okay, I just changed the file extension to .bin, and it worked fine. Everything was reset back to factory defaults, though, which was a bit disappointing.

#14 6 years ago

i see that there are two ways to do a code back-up:
1. after a boot eprom (dip switch 8 on) as shown in you message
2. after a normal boot (dip switch 8 off) via the utilities menu

May be that there is a bug in one of the two ways, one creating a .bin file and the other an .ebi file ????

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Okay, I just changed the file extension to .bin, and it worked fine. Everything was reset back to factory defaults, though, which was a bit disappointing.

So did it keep the modified code though and the set to g went to default, or did the code get reset to?

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

So did it keep the modified code though and the set to g went to default, or did the code get reset to?

It kept the modified code with the altered music. It just reset all the settings and high scores back to factory.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-share-code-sam-with-someone-else and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.