(Topic ID: 220068)

How to setup F-14 Tomcat

By tmtrebor

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

So, first home machine, plays great, but just wanted to make sure everything is setup correctly.

Game is reset to factory and then to extra hard (not really sure what this does tbh). level playfield, set to 6.5 degrees... However, the game just feels "slower" than the one at my local bar. Was wondering if there are any tips to improve the difficulty.

Some notes on what I'm going to do / notice :

Mylar is being replaced soon, along with wax.

Allegedly game was shopped before I bought it, rubbers look new.

bumper feel slower, and kinda make a "mushy" sound instead of a popping sound.

Slingshots act as the same.

Flippers are strong, but dont seem as strong as the local bar.

Anyway, any info would be much appreciated. Thanks!

#2 5 years ago

Vid has a post from a few years ago tells you how to get the game going fast. I just sold mine. Since you only have 1 pop make sure that sucker is clean and mean. put a new sleave in the coil and the rubbers up there. Also all the inserts are known for popping out of the PF, so you may need a heat gun, a soft hammer and a piece of wood to level inserts. But new rubbers, rebuilt Pop, Rebuilt flippers and make sure you have all new coil sleeves. and wax!!!!

#3 5 years ago

Page 26 in your manual tells you what adjustments are automatically made when "Install Extra Hard" is chosen. There are fifteen settings altered from the factory default. If you have the manual available from IPDB it's page 26 of the .pdf.

Wax will make your game faster. If your goal is to make the game harder just increasing the playfield steepness probably won't do it. You get slightly greater ball speed coming down, but less speed going up and less side-to-side action, meaning probably fewer outlane drains.

Flipper thread from vid1900 is at https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers New coil sleeves often help but there are several good options depending on your skill level and how much work you want to do.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-setup-f-14-tomcat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.