Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Jasontaps
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

billaccp.jpg
    marsae2411_harness.jpeg
    #1 8 years ago

Hello

I bought a Mars bill validator on eBay and I'm not sure how to set it up.
    What cable do I need to connect it to the machine. Do they normally come with a cable?

Thanks

Mike

#2 8 years ago

What did you buy ? What voltage ? 110 ? or lower for vending machines or touch screen games ?

Some come with cables, some don't.

What model you bought and what game you want to put it into will get better answers.

LTG : )™

#3 8 years ago

You need a 110v harness, assuming your model is 110v. The harness will have a 9-pin connector, this plugs into the game's 9-pin connector. Then there is a two-prong connector with orange and black. If your game has a matching 2-circuit connector, plug it in. This is the coin output, which should be wired to the game's Coin #4 slot.

Note, this is for WPC games.. since you didn't say what game, some or all of it may not be applicable to your setup.

#4 8 years ago

Hi Mike,
    There are different types of bill validators. Some are upstackers, some downstack etc.
    What model # is your Mars unit.
    As far as coming with the cable, well, if its used, that's a craps shoot. Should, because what will the original owner do with it since they removed it from a machine.

#5 8 years ago

I bought a AE 2411 u5.
    I hope to put it in a MET pro.

Thank for the help.

#6 8 years ago

If it comes with the harness, easy to do.

PM me if you need help with the switch settings for Stern.

LTG : )

#7 8 years ago

Where do I buy a harness if it didn't come with one?

Thanks

Mike

#9 8 years ago

Wouldn't hurt to email the seller and ask if they have it. Its possible they just forgot to send it.

Quoted from Jasontaps:

ebay.com link » Mars Bill Acceptor Pigtail Wiring Harness 24 Volt 250075007 Nos Sfd

#10 8 years ago

Don't get that one, it's a 24v harness. A 2411 is a 110v model.

#11 8 years ago

I am pretty sure that's the same cable I had on my 2411. Lloyd can clarify which for sure. He's the man!

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jasontaps:

I am pretty sure that's the same cable I had on my 2411. Lloyd can clarify which for sure. He's the man!

Yes, it looks the same, but the end connector for the DBV uses different pins to feed 24v and 110v - and it's very hard to see where the wires go in that end header.

24v power is - Pin 3 (+24v), Pin 16 (GND)
    110v power is - Pin 4 (Neutral), Pin 20 (Hot)

This is the one that is needed for WPC games -
    ebay.com link: itm

The white end is game-side, so I'm not sure if newer Sterns used the same 9-pin plug or not. The black side is into the DBV, and will fit.

#13 8 years ago

As a side -
    You can very, very easily just create your own cable. All you need is a 12-pin .110" DIL header for the DBV side (connects to pins 1-6 & 16-21), and wire in -

Pin 1 - Coin Switch COM (Machine Ground, not 110v Neutral)
    Pin 4 - 110v Neutral (White)
    Pin 16 - Coin Switch NO (Coin Switch wire)
    Pin 20 - 110v Hot (Black)
    Pin 21 - Earth (Green, or Green/Yel)

Easy.

#14 8 years ago

marsae2411_harness.jpegmarsae2411_harness.jpeg
    110 vac harness for Mars AE2411

www.capitalvending.com has them for $15.00

9 pin on the coin door side and 30 pins on the Bill acceptor side.

1 month later
    #15 8 years ago

hello,

i finally go around to installing a Mars on my metallica but could not get it to work.
    i hooked everything up.
    the validator got power and and i heard the motor moving, then the middle red light on the back would flash.
    and the machine would not accept bills.

can anyone tell me what that means?
    or what to do?

thanks,

mike

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from aveamike:

hello,
    i finally go around to installing a Mars on my Metallica but could not get it to work.
    i hooked everything up.
    the validator got power and and i heard the motor moving, then the middle red light on the back would flash.
    and the machine would not accept bills.
    can anyone tell me what that means?
    or what to do?
    thanks,
    mike

On the same back where you saw the red light flash should be a deal specifying what the flashes mean. Find out what the flashes mean, and then go from there.

#17 8 years ago

If the red LED is flashing 2 times, it means disabled from mech. Your pinball doesnt disable the bill acceptor so you would need to change dip switch 8 on the Mars to Always Enable.

Recycle power after changing the DIPs and test it again.
    The red LED should come on steady.

Any other number of flashes is an error code (listed on the label on the back of the bill box by the way)

#18 8 years ago

i after re reading the thread i realized that i was connecting a 110 volt bill validator, when it should be 24 volt bill validator.
    i assume that was the problem.

m.

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from aveamike:

i after re reading the thread i realized that i was connecting a 110 volt bill validator, when it should be 24 volt bill validator.
    i assume that was the problem.
    m.

I don't know about Stern games, but WMS games use 110v validators. There's no 24v feed.

#20 8 years ago

Bill acceptor should cylce (run motor, then stack bills) when powered up. Coyote is right, there is no 24v feed. Also the 12 and 24 volt bill acceptors from Mars use different pins on the plug so you wont blow them up when using the wrong voltage bill acceptor on the wrong voltage harness.

#21 8 years ago

I'm setting up a metallic.
    that uses a 24 volt acceptor, correct?

thanks for all the help.

m.

#22 8 years ago

Stern games take 110vac, not 24vdc. The one we have out on location has a U5, and it works fine. Check the side of your validator and confirm it is 110v. Also for the cable, confirm it is a 110v cable and NOT the 24vdc. Make sure the switches are set properly, and you will also need to go into the settings in the Metallica software and set Bill Validator to "on"

#23 8 years ago

billaccp.jpgbillaccp.jpg

#24 8 years ago

OT, but holy carp, is that from a Stern manual? That looks atrocious!

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

OT, but holy carp, is that from a Stern manual? That looks atrocious!

Yup. That's from the manual.
    Clarifies things right up, doesn't it. LOL

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-set-up-a-bill-validator and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.