(Topic ID: 81231)

How to secure the flipper bats tight in pawl assembly? They wont tighten.

By Jeff_PHX_AZ

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by aveamike
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

flipper.jpg
    gap2.jpg
    gap.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

Ok, I was adjusting my flippers as I was getting a lot of airball when the flipper would hit the ball, so I loosen up nut holding flipper shaft in pawl, made my adjustments and proceded to tighten and secure the flipper shafts in the pawl assembly. Well I though they were tight, then playing a game they moved so, lifted up the PF and grabbed my socket wrench and really put my all into it when the threaded washer that holds the nut "snapped" in two. Now I was really putting some torque and it would not hold the flipper shaft. So had to order the piece I need from PBL $1.25 part so I grabbed a few. What is the trick behind tightening down the flipper shaft in the pawl assembly? I never had this difficult time doing it. Someone explain the trick so my flippers don't move and I don't break anything else? Thanks

#2 10 years ago

I inspected flipper bats and flipper bushings, etc. all seem new still.

#3 10 years ago

I'd be interested to hear a response to this as well. I had the same issue with an old machine.

#4 10 years ago

You have to tighten them until you think they are going to break has been what I've found. A few times I have broken them (and slammed my hand and Allen wrench into the coil bracket and swore A LOT).

It would be nice if the 'clamp' part of the assembly wear harder steel and actually clamped long before you ran out of bolt.

#5 10 years ago

you can squeeze the prawl closed tighter with a pair of pliers before tightening the screw, ive also read someone mentioning to grind some of the inside flat section of the prawl allow more travel when tightening down

also when you tighten them down the shaft will get a groove in it, and the flipper will shift until it falls back in that groove.. in that case you can switch the left and right bats to move the grooves out of your way

#6 10 years ago

Clean the shaft with isopropyl alcohol first..wipe it down...just the oil from your hand or messing around with the dirty assembly can cause it to slip. I have never had to tighten so far as to completely close around shaft on a new assembly. A used assembly..yes. But, I rarely reuse a assembly unless it is just a flipper adjustment. Good luck!

#7 10 years ago

If you are to the point you are tightening the unit so tight the pawl breaks, and the flippers are still loose, you need to replace the flipper bats.

#8 10 years ago

Looks to me some of you are overtightening the pawl.

#9 10 years ago

Thanks guys, gonna try and grind a bit of the sides of the clamp as when I loosened the bolt the clamp stayed closed. They are a little over a year old, bats seem new still (same age). Might just switch them around, gonna use a cutoff wheel to grind a bit and then do the pliers trick before tightening. All this was suppose to be is a flipper adjustment. The space gauge tool I check from the topside, should I be doing the gauging from underneath PF between bushing and pawl assembly, or does it matter? I did it from the topside.

#10 10 years ago

You might as well work on the flipper bat shaft a bit. Take a file or dremel and lighly go over it to create a bit uneven surface for the clamp to bite in.

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from RoadRunner:

You might as well work on the flipper bat shaft a bit. Take a file or dremel and lighly go over it to create a bit uneven surface for the clamp to bite in.

Kinda rough it up some right? Like sanding something that is smooth in order for paint to bite on! Ok, makes sense.

#12 10 years ago

I don't understand why they don't make the shafts hex shaped, or with long grooves like on a knife sharpener.
    Flipper slip is such a painus in the anus

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from Mahoyvan:

I don't understand why they don't make the shafts hex shaped, or with long grooves like on a knife sharpener.
    Flipper slip is such a painus in the anus

Cost. It would cost more to make the shafts that shape, not to mention having to redesign the flipper pawls to accomodate (if they went hex style.) Also, Not all games have flippers at the same angle. It would be crazy expensive.

#14 10 years ago

sega used to knurl the flipper bat shaft. So you get infinite adjustment and good grip! Hex shaped would suck. You would never get them to sit even.
    But just swap flipper bats side to side and clean the shaft of the bat with iso and the clamp part too and you should be fine. Usually all you need.
    Pinball life has all parts should you need anything ...and for a great deal. Flippers are your connection to the game and need to be perfect to have the most fun!
    Good luck!

#15 10 years ago

Hpw exactly do you go about adjusting your flippers. My SP flippers are off. I lifted the PF and I didn't see any kind of bolt or screw to loosen, adjust and then tighten. Thanks for the help and info.

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from cudabee:

Looks to me some of you are overtightening the pawl.

I agree. When I rebuild flippers and put a new bat and crank assembly in I tighten enough to just start to bend the crank slit. If you overtighten you will end up bowing out the hole and causing your problem. Once I tighten to that I never have a problem

#17 10 years ago

Well I have a binding flipper, the left one seems when I tighten it down good the plunger does not go in smoothly leaving the flipper in the up position. I also switched out the flipper bushings and put new ones in just to do it since I had new ones, but when I removed the flipper bushings 2 lock nut fell out from somewhere and don't know where they go to as theres nothing missing a nut. Put the bushings in nice and tight no problems there.. New coil sleeve put in and still binding, a lot of play up and down on the flipper as well and still binding. What do I need to check, etc to fix this binding. I never had this issue when I did a flipper rebuild 1 year ago, everything went on with no problems, what am I missing here guys? Thanks

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

Well I have a binding flipper, the left one seems when I tighten it down good the plunger does not go in smoothly leaving the flipper in the up position. I also switched out the flipper bushings and put new ones in just to do it since I had new ones, but when I removed the flipper bushings 2 lock nut fell out from somewhere and don't know where they go to as theres nothing missing a nut. Put the bushings in nice and tight no problems there.. New coil sleeve put in and still binding, a lot of play up and down on the flipper as well and still binding. What do I need to check, etc to fix this binding. I never had this issue when I did a flipper rebuild 1 year ago, everything went on with no problems, what am I missing here guys? Thanks

Bushings are not supposed to be nice and tight in the plunger link, you need some play in there. Loosen those up, and your binding should go away.

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

Bushings are not supposed to be nice and tight in the plunger link, you need some play in there. Loosen those up, and your binding should go away.

Flipper bushings, you know the ones the flipper shaft goes through, you say to loosen that? I believe maybe mistaken, i'am sure those are suppose to be tight. Don't know where the locknuts go that fell out when replacing the flipper bushings but they are on tight. The whole left side flipper has a lot of play and binds, take some play away and still binds. I'am lost at this.

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

Flipper bushings, you know the ones the flipper shaft goes through, you say to loosen that? I believe maybe mistaken, i'am sure those are suppose to be tight. Don't know where the locknuts go that fell out when replacing the flipper bushings but they are on tight. The whole left side flipper has a lot of play and binds, take some play away and still binds. I'am lost at this.

Oops, mis read that. Yes those need to be tight, and those nuts go on the tops side of the flipper plate. The bushing between the pawl and the plunger needs to be semi loose and have some give in them, or it will cause binding.

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

VIDS pics: see the nuts..maybe these? use the tool. make one out of a credit card.

gap.jpggap.jpg
    gap2.jpggap2.jpg

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

Oops, mis read that. Yes those need to be tight, and those nuts go on the tops side of the flipper plate. The bushing between the pawl and the plunger needs to be semi loose and have some give in them, or it will cause binding.

I guess I would need to put those nuts back on, or don't worry about it? I just really hate to take the whole assembly off for those. They seem real tight and snug without them, plus there was only 2 per flipper assembly and suppose there should be 3 on each assembly.

When its loose, it binds, then I tighten it up some more with it have very little play, still binding. I working the flipper with my hand, moving it in and out, I take the whole flipper out and just use my hand to move it and it still binding, not going in the coil smooth. Inspected the coil all seems good old sleeve look good a bit dirty, but I put in a new sleeve and still binding. No mushrooming on plunger or on the coil stop. This just sucks as I spent 6 hours trying to get this one flipper to work, "6 HOURS". I'am taking a break from it and just get at it another day,but like to find out what my problem is that I'am having difficulty figuring out.

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

I guess I would need to put those nuts back on, or don't worry about it? I just really hate to take the whole assembly off for those. They seem real tight and snug without them, plus there was only 2 per flipper assembly and suppose there should be 3 on each assembly.
    When its loose, it binds, then I tighten it up some more with it have very little play, still binding. I working the flipper with my hand, moving it in and out, I take the whole flipper out and just use my hand to move it and it still binding, not going in the coil smooth. Inspected the coil all seems good old sleeve look good a bit dirty, but I put in a new sleeve and still binding. No mushrooming on plunger or on the coil stop. This just sucks as I spent 6 hours trying to get this one flipper to work, "6 HOURS". I'am taking a break from it and just get at it another day,but like to find out what my problem is that I'am having difficulty figuring out.

Those nuts with a little loc tite is what keeps the flipper bushing in.

I would check the alignment of the plunger as it goes into the coil, and make sure the nut and Allen bolt that runs between the bushing that connects the pawl and plunger isn't too tight. Seen both of those cause issues with sticking. Your coil could also be so heat stressed it has bulged and causes the plunger to stick. Found this out in my dw I'm still working on

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

and make sure the nut and Allen bolt

There is no allen bolt, all there is a nut that closes the clamp when tighten.

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

There is no allen bolt, all there is a nut that closes the clamp when tighten.

You are talking about the pawl, where it clamps on to the flipper shaft. I am talking about the opposite side, where the pawl is connected to the plunger shaft. (The part circled in red). This needs to be loose enough to give when the flipper is used. Lots of times people over-tighten this, and it causes binding.

flipper.jpgflipper.jpg

#27 10 years ago

I had this problem. It turned out that the plastic of the flipper was rotating relative to the metal axle of the flipper. I assumed that I wasn't getting the axle tightened enough in the linkage, so I kept tightening until it snapped.

So, check to make sure the problem isn't internal to the flipper bat. (It was on a brand new flipper too, one more reason why I didn't think to check this).

#28 10 years ago

It's the PBL pawls, they are not great quality. I used to order bulk of them, but they bend and break so easy, and I have had problems with slippage (not a lot though).

PBR has quality ones, such as original b/w. I thought they were all the same, but when I started getting them from PBR, they tighten super tight, with a gap still between both sides, and you do not practically have to fold the bolt to get there.

Not a knock at PBL, or a plug for PBR, just what I have found. All rebuild kits come straight from PBR for me now.

#29 10 years ago

Yes or No: Locktite on screws bolting down the actual flipper bushing to the flipper plate?

In Vid's tutorial he doesn't mention it, but just says to make sure to tighten the screws that hold down the bushing to the flipper plate with nuts.

#30 10 years ago

I've never needed the loctite but it certainly won't do any harm.

#31 10 years ago

Went to ACE hardware and picked up a few of the 6/32 lock nuts and installed them, I didn't have any loc tite but they're on there. I was just gonna ignore it, but I don't like to do things half assed and its just 8 screws per assembly, so pulled the assemble bracket off held it in my hand and put the lock nuts on with my other hand, put the bracket assembly up where it goes and tighten all 8 nuts, then did the next one. I also replaced the coil stops as I had new xtras in my tool box. Next, I took apart all the flipper mechs, and cleaned everything with rubbing alcohol, I did notice the plunger on the flipper that's binding was kinda sticky feeling, don't know from what, but used the alcohol and cleaned up the plunger and it smooth with no stickiness (maybe that was the culprit, damn plunger sticking, cuz I can now operate the linkage by hand and it went in smooth each time). Can't check about tightness on the flippers as I'am still waiting for the hardware to come in from pinballlife, probable tomorrow or Friday. Just thought I'd update. Jeff

#32 10 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

Yes or No: Locktite on screws bolting down the actual flipper bushing to the flipper plate?
    In Vid's tutorial he doesn't mention it, but just says to make sure to tighten the screws that hold down the bushing to the flipper plate with nuts.

I put the nuts on without any loc tite.

#33 10 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

You are talking about the pawl, where it clamps on to the flipper shaft. I am talking about the opposite side, where the pawl is connected to the plunger shaft. (The part circled in red). This needs to be loose enough to give when the flipper is used. Lots of times people over-tighten this, and it causes binding.

flipper.jpg 6 KB

That would surprise me, because there should be a bushing inside the plunger-link to prevent this from happening.
    The bushing is slightly higher than the plunger-link assuring it's free movement....

#34 10 years ago
    Quoted from cudabee:

That would surprise me, because there should be a bushing inside the plunger-link to prevent this from happening.
    The bushing is slightly higher than the plunger-link assuring it's free movement....

You can still over tighten down on that bushing, causing issues, even without touching the plunger link

6 months later
    #35 9 years ago

i spent a full day getting a new pawl to work.
    and i ordered new ones thinking that is would sold the problem but they where too stiff also.
    i had to go to a mechanic and have him saw down the middle gap.
    then i had to use a clap to tighten it and then i had to use a flat head screwdriver to open it back up.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-secure-the-flipper-bats-tight-in-pawl-assembly-they-wont-tighten and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.