You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FB_IMG_1585086034244 (resized).jpg
Windex Antibacterial (resized).png
san2 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

I am hosting my friend's kids while they are away on a weekend trip and the Son LOVES to play pinball. My wife is currently cleaning the house, but wants to sanitize the pinball machines. What do you guys suggest? I am concerned about using Clorox wipes or Alcohol wipes. I have Mid 90s games and some Late 2010's. Thanks for your help.

#2 2 years ago

I use Purple Sparkle. Not sure if that sanitizes though. Do not use anything with ammonia in it.

#3 2 years ago

One thing I learned. Kids (and adults) have destructive fingernails. Flipper button protectors to protect the cab are a must if there are no lollipop rails. I learned this from a hosted birthday party of 20 something number of 6 year olds playing my pins.

#4 2 years ago

Germs are good for kids

#5 2 years ago

Is true. Kids love germs. Wife is a pre k teacher and comes home with new germs every day. I should be all set for any
Virus

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from DavidCPA:

I am concerned about using Clorox wipes or Alcohol wipes.

I wouldn't be. Do it!

#7 2 years ago

I would recommend just sanitizing everyone's hands instead. I wouldn't be putting any harsh chemicals on my games.

#8 2 years ago

I use Lysol wipes all the time. Use with confidence.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

One thing I learned. Kids (and adults) have destructive fingernails. Flipper button protectors to protect the cab are a must if there are no lollipop rails. I learned this from a hosted birthday party of 20 something number of 6 year olds playing my pins.

Can I just use mylar?

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Germs are good for kids

Agree, but bad for Adults that need to work and get sick easier than the kiddos.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from DavidCPA:

Can I just use mylar?

I guess so but I've never done that. The cab protectors around the flipper are PETG type material like the playfield protectors. I guess you could mylar now for an imminent party and order the PETG protectors for install later. Could even install the PETG over the mylar if you wanted to. That's all I have on the matter.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from DavidCPA:

Can I just use mylar?

Yeah but it could get messy later with the glue if you need to replace it.

#13 2 years ago
san2 (resized).jpgsan2 (resized).jpg
#14 2 years ago

I have used sanitizing wipes for a quick wipe down every once in a while.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yeah but it could get messy later with the glue if you need to replace it.

Thanks for the advice. I will be heading to Pin-a-go-go show in Dixon, CA this afternoon. Hopefully they have something that I can install before the kids show up.

#16 2 years ago

If you are concerned about sanitizing then I recommend the yellow Windex multi-surface cleaner and disinfectant. Don't use wipes that will streak all over the place and mylar is for flipper wear protection-not to sanitize. I told Tim at the PHOF about how using the blue Windex does nothing and he needs to switch to yellow -not sure if he listened? Wipe down before play and after play(if it is a concern)-good to go.

Windex Antibacterial (resized).pngWindex Antibacterial (resized).png

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

If you are concerned about sanitizing then I recommend the yellow Windex multi-surface cleaner and disinfectant. Don't use wipes that will streak all over the place and mylar is for flipper wear protection-not to sanitize. I told Tim at the PHOF about how using the blue Windex does nothing and he needs to switch to yellow -not sure if he listened? Wipe down before play and after play(if it is a concern)-good to go.
[quoted image]

Lysol wipes don’t streak.

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Lysol wipes don’t streak.

I think they do, and they also smell like ass

Don't use wipes!

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Don't use wipes!

What needs to be disinfected? Are you cleaning the entire machine between plays? I typically only wipe down the buttons and plunger. Other than that I would have hand sanitizer for the kids.

I wouldn’t use wipes on the glass, but I wouldn’t disinfect the glass regularly. I would just clean the machines as normal before and after they are there.

#20 2 years ago

I do not disinfect my machines-only my work desk on occasion. If people did want to disinfect I would spray glass down to clean and then spray a small amount to paper towel and lightly rub around flipper area(especially if no lollipop rails and bare cabinet).

#21 2 years ago

What are you afraid of? Just have hand sanitizer for the kids. The world is not a sterile environment let alone a clean one.

#22 2 years ago

Using wipes sounds batty to me

Don't use wipes! Especially on playfield glass-that WILL streak!

#23 2 years ago

Just an opinion. Your hosting a play date for a few kids I wouldn't over think it with protectors and sanitation protocal. Supervise, and ask them to wash their hands to keep everyone safe. I highly doubt they will do any damage and just may end up enjoying pinball which is what it is all about. If they have 20 second balls times I would be impressed. lol

#24 2 years ago

Is the Law back to the thumbdowning shenanigans again?

#25 2 years ago

Sanitizing wipes are fine. I've used them before on old and modern games. Just use them on the flipper buttons, plunger, and Start buttons (action button too). If they're overly wet, wring it out before you wipe. They're not meant for glass, so don't use them on the glass. For that, use your favorite glass cleaner.

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Don't use wipes!

Just to be clear. We are talking about wiping down where people touch. Not the glass. Not sure how a lockdown bar or the button area would get streaks on it.

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Is the Law back to the thumbdowning shenanigans again?

Haha your wacky anti clorox wipe stance is just silly; so it gets a downvote. Inthinknweve learned over the last 2 years things hold up pretty well to wipes.

#28 2 years ago

So you are saying people do not contact the glass with their hands? Are you saying alcohol based wipes do not leave a streak on glass? Dude seriously-just use yellow Windex-covers the glass, the bar, the buttons, etc.

#29 2 years ago

Here is other concern is guys saying go use wipes on your cabinet-your totally cool. Then decals get all jacked up months later-no thanks

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Then decals get all jacked up months later-no thanks

You think people haven't already used them for months?

#31 2 years ago

Arguing over wipes-oh vea

I need to go wipe my ass, I think I have monkey butt

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

So you are saying people do not contact the glass with their hands? Are you saying alcohol based wipes do not leave a streak on glass? Dude seriously-just use yellow Windex-covers the glass, the bar, the buttons, etc.

If someone is so concerned that they need to wipe down every inch of their machine between plays, then I would suggest not having the gathering. What are you doing with all the doorknobs the kids are touching and the other toys, etc.

Wipe down the buttons and plunger and let the kids have fun.

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Arguing over wipes-oh vea
I need to go wipe my ass, I think I have monkey butt

Not sure why you’re so upset.

Clean the glass with glass cleaner. Ammonia free and something that’s streak free like sprayway.

Clean not glass surfaces with Lysol wipes as they disinfect.

#34 2 years ago

Not upset, just shaking my head. Why use two when you can use just one. I do think the harsh chemicals in Lysol and other products will deteriorate decals, etc.

I have to also be honest that I cannot stand Lysol-it does smell like shit and gives me a headache. Smells toxic and I purchased a bunch at the beginning of the pandemic only to throw them all away. Not trying to argue but the Windex does the job, does not smell bad, and leaves a streak free surface-may try it.

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Not upset, just shaking my head. Why use two when you can use just one.

Based on their original comment, they have already cleaned the games. They are looking to sanitize them. Lysol wipes are the quickest easiest way to do that.

#36 2 years ago

Don't do anything and just tell your wife you did. This seems just kind of like an extremely silly concern really. Like others have said, have some hand sanitizer ready or make sure people wash their hands after playing. Wiping them with disinfectant will do nothing in practicality. Too many "dirty" things around the house, and things instantly get "dirty" after 1 touch

#37 2 years ago

+1 for hand washing before and after play. You can’t realize sterilize a machine or anything else unless you are doing clean room procedures like in a hospital. Which you aren’t and won’t.

#38 2 years ago

Best way to sanitize is to not let anybody else play.

But seriously folks...I have the grandkids wash their hands before they're allowed to play. Next thing you know, one of them is climbing up on top of the PDI glass I have on a Stern LE. Because--of course!--I never said anything about not climbing on top of the machines.

#39 2 years ago

FB_IMG_1585086034244 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1585086034244 (resized).jpg

I'll see myself out

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Carl Junction, MO
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

5,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 32.99
$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 72.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 21.50
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 86.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-sanitize-my-machines and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.