Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by j_m_
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

I just bought an alternate translite for one of my machines, and I thought I could simply roll up the original one, stick it in the tube that the new one came in, and put it away for safe keeping. Much to my disappointment and surprise, the original translite ended up splitting in several places when I attempted to roll it up.

Is this common with 30-year-old translites? How are you supposed to store them when they are brittle like this?

#2 9 years ago

After all those years in front of incandescent lighting with UV radiation they get fragile. Had that happen to me on a spare. Best to carefully roll it up in an 8" diameter or larger as not to strain the brittle plastic, or store flat.

#3 9 years ago

fixed it for ya

Quoted from HighSpeed1:

Best to carefully roll it up in an 8" diameter or larger as not to strain the brittle plastic, or store flat.

#4 9 years ago

^^^ yup.

#5 9 years ago

I store them in poster frames, and hang them on the wall.

#6 9 years ago

Ah well...Flat it is. "the more you know.."

Where do you even get cardboard in that size in order to sandwich it to pack it away?

Quoted from thepinballworks:

I store them in poster frames, and hang them on the wall.

This was a translite for Genesis...I'm not sure I'd want to hang it on the wall, lol

#7 9 years ago

I bought new glass and molding for the new one
    hung up the original

#8 9 years ago

I have had that happen SEVERAL times only with GOATLIEB translites They are I believe thicker and also different material.. Especially when shipping if cold...

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

I have had that happen SEVERAL times only with GOATLIEB translites They are I believe thicker and also different material.. Especially when shipping if cold...

The original did seem like it was a thicker material, but still seemed flexible enough. I can only imagine what can happen if I attempted rolling it up if it were cold

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Where do you even get cardboard in that size in order to sandwich it to pack it away?

Do you know anyone that works in the shipping dept at a company?

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Do you know anyone that works in the shipping dept at a company?

Nope.

All I do is either reuse boxes that are still in good shape, or use the USPS flat rate boxes. I can't say I've seen anything quite large enough at any of the big box stores.

Post edited by ForceFlow: heh, pun not intended

#12 9 years ago

If you lived by me I could get you all the 48x48 inch cardboard you could want.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

If you lived by me I could get you all the 48x48 inch cardboard you could want.

Ah well....I'm in the northeast.

#14 9 years ago

Get a bike box from somewhere that sells bikes make your own then from it

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Nope.
    All I do is either reuse boxes that are still in good shape, or use the USPS flat rate boxes. I can't say I've seen anything quite large enough at any of the big box stores.
    Post edited by ForceFlow: heh, pun not intended

New stern time! Use that box.

1 week later
    #17 9 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Ah well...Flat it is. "the more you know.."

your best bet is to visit your local ups drop off location (not the ups stores) or office max/depot and purchase a flat cardboard box that is a little larger than 24"x24". simply tape up one of the ends (be sure to put something like a folded piece of paper inside that end so that the translites do not inadvertently get stuck to the tape ) and now you've got a flat box where you can store upwards of about 6-10 translites easily

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-roll-up-an-original-translite-mine-split-apart-on-the-attempt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.