Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 63 days ago by Adaminski
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_2991 (resized).JPG
IMG_2992 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

I had to cut off the old rubber posts. Now, how do I put a new one on??? This posts is one solid unit??

image (resized).jpg

#2 1 year ago

Warm the rubber, grease the top of the post, try and slide it on ?

LTG : )

#3 1 year ago

I put it on threads and lightly warmed it with a heat gun. Then I forced it on, using a little heat along the way. It went on the post easier than I thought it would.

#4 1 year ago

P.S. i had work gloves on when I heated the rubber.

#5 1 year ago

Heating it up helped a lot. Thanks!!!

11 months later
#6 65 days ago

Hi-

I am also trying to put a Titan Stern Slim rubber on the left sword ramp post. I've tried heating with some lithium grease on the nut, trying to put the rubber on from the threaded end. Twice, one time with a helper holding the heat gun. No luck - 2 rubber posts split.

Can anyone enlighten me further?

-Adam

#7 65 days ago
Quoted from Adaminski:

Can anyone enlighten me further?

I would try and slip it on holding the rubber sleeve at a 45 degree angle to the post, and get it started and then try and slip over the head and down.

#8 65 days ago

Thanks for further help, ltg . I still can't get it on. The hex nut is narrower than the floating/sliding washer, so I try from the 10-32 screw side of the post, and the 10-32 part is long enough to make it so you cannot come in at an angle on the nut. My photos below.

I am beginning to think that the flare on top of the post is not intentional, as the manual shows no parts like this with a washer stuck on the top. I think that I can file off the flared metal, then slip on sleeve, then mount Gimli VUK wire form above with 2 washers - one above the sleeve, below the wire form, and one above the wire form, just below the nylon lock nut.

Sorry, I duplicated some info from a post I just made in the LOTR club. Just trying to determine if this flare on the top of the post is intentional, and hope to get a few more eyes see the question in this post. Reference https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/85#post-4992692

-Adam

IMG_2991 (resized).JPGIMG_2992 (resized).JPG
#9 64 days ago

Definitely looks like the wrong post.

When I had my LOTR, I had to replace most of the metal threaded posts. They were aluminum and broke off. And I don't recall any on that game like yours.

And yours looks way beat up to have always been in your game.

If yours is 2 1/2 inches long - https://www.pinballlife.com/2-12-tall-metal-post-with-10-threaded-base-and-8-threaded-top.html or search Marco or Pinball Life for the right length.

#10 64 days ago

try buying the thinner rubber ones, should stretch easier.

#11 64 days ago

I purchased my LOTR NIR and have owned it for over 15 years now and have disassembled the entire play field for cleaning twice and I don't recall ever seeing a post like that. Stern Pinball used to produce exceptional manuals, and page 69 of the LOTR manual shows every metal post and quantity used in the game, with actual size images of every one, the pictured post just isn't there.

Where on the playfield did you pull this post from?

Edit: I suppose it could be a #9 with a washer driven down onto it. I would just replace it if you can find one. https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/530-5007-00

#12 64 days ago

More info on the 530-5007-00 ...

#13 63 days ago

Thanks ltg and pin_guy for all the help. The post came from left entrance to sword on LOTR. It gets hit a lot, so I'm not surprised at how beat up it is. It *is* #14 in the LOTR manual, #10-32 bottom thread, #6-32 top thread (530-5332-01). I filed off the flared metal at top and removed the washer, making it easier to add the stern slim post rubber.

For now, I swapped it with the same post that's in good condition because it was hidden under the sword in a protected area. For later, I'm going to order some replacement hardware for LOTR and Star Wars (Pro) so I don't have to wait or scramble to fix something in the future!
-Adam

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 219.99

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside