Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by BigAl56
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_3240 - chunk (resized).jpg
    IMG_3240 cut (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

Hi everybody

Many lamps of my Flash Gordon (1981) do not work well. Cleaning them, soldering the sockets and so on sometimes work, sometimes not. So I have decided to replace the sockets which never work correctly.

It sounds easy... but the problem is that on most of the lamp sockets, there is a chunk of solder in which the wire, the socket and the screw are stuck together, so how can i unscrew the screw?
    IMG_3240 - chunk (resized).jpgIMG_3240 - chunk (resized).jpg

Trying to melt the solder and suck it out with a desoldering pump or solder wick would doubtlessly be very hard... so I was asking myself if there was an easier way to replace a socket. For example by cutting the "S" holder in its middle (red line on the photo below) and solder a new one there:
    IMG_3240 cut (resized).jpgIMG_3240 cut (resized).jpg

Anybody has some experience or good ideas?

Thanks for your help and regards
    Patrick

#2 3 years ago

It's not a fun job, but heating with soldering iron and then unscrewing is the way to go.

Have you tried the standard Roughing the nipple/tit of the socket and moving the wire there? You mentioned soldering the sockets I didn't know if that's what you meant?

#3 3 years ago

Use a hotter soldering iron? Cutting and soldering the holder instead of normal removal sounds way harder to me.

#4 3 years ago

My experience if doing multiple sockets, removed the playfield and place upside down on horses so that the underside of the playfield is flat and facing up. Use a hot heavier duty soldering iron or a variable setting one on a pretty high temp. Since these are old parts it doesn't matter if you "overheat" them. Then you have to remove the old wires and solder the new lamps. With the new lamps, you don't need as hot an iron.

For me, having the playfield out of the game and flat makes it a lot easier to reach the lamps and I don't have to worry about solder splatter as much. Also, take pictures if you are doing a bunch just to make sure you put them back correctly. It's easy to accidentally switch lamp wires on lights that are close together to each other especially if you take a break that turns into a couple of days. You can come back and not be sure which wire is which without looking at the schematics.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Have you tried the standard Roughing the nipple/tit of the socket and moving the wire there? ...

Yes, I have tried that too. Works sometimes, sometimes not...

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pafff:

Yes, I have tried that too. Works sometimes, sometimes not...

Yep, then just high heat and a little electronic screwdriver my friend. As said above if you can take the PF out its much easier

#7 3 years ago

You need a bigger iron.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #8 3 years ago

Make sure to use a jumper on the grounds to see how many are sockets and not issues with the wiring

#9 3 years ago

OK, thanks to you all. I will try to set my soldering iron to the maximum temperature...

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from GRUMPY:

You need a bigger iron.
    [quoted image]

What Grumpy said. It's not entirely about a hotter iron (of course, that does help), it's more about contact area. A chisel tip is perfect for this application. You can maybe put the tip on it's side. Might be awkward, but will help.

How many watts is your iron?

I usually get some fat solder wick and wick off as much as I can in short order so I don't damage the board.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#11 3 years ago

Unless the solder blob prevents you from getting the head of the driver on the screw the solder is not strong enough to stop you from removing the screw.

If you cant get on the screw just heat the solder up and you should be able to remove the screw.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-replace-lamp-sockets-44?hl=quench and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.