Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2E319274-6A4F-430D-B4B7-560C34BB10DD (resized).jpeg
D950C193-D457-4A0C-8305-78B504341EA3 (resized).jpeg
577E4E62-903B-4337-B715-D3BE042F2362 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider steveintexas.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 3 years ago

You need to start by protecting the painted area with painters tape. Take your time and use a straight edge where possible and an exacto blade to get close to the black borders. Once this has been achieved sand the area with 150 grit sandpaper around small pieces of flat wood And smooth the area. Work up to 400 grit gradually.

You may never improve the original yellowing of the wood too much but you will smooth out the planking. You may need to change the painters tape after some time but that’s part of the job. Be patient and you will be rewarded with satisfying results. Finish with a clear shellac coat.

The flippers appear to have imparted no wear so that is good.

The next step is to lightly clear the area to protect this part of your restoration before tackling the painted areas.

If there was flipper wear now is the time to drop some clear on the area to fill the depression and sand the clear smooth. You can make the flipper wear completely disappear if the shellac coat was close.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from Pablito350:

There's no way you're going to sand around the artwork on that.
If I was doing that playfield I'd match up some paint to the wood tone and fill it in. If you mix it really close your eye won't see the repair. Especially if you're going to touch up the rocket, and the other brightly colored areas. Bury it all under a nice clearcoat, and it'd look great!
Just my .02
-Paul

You don’t start with a wood restoration by painting it.

I should link you to my Slick Chick playfield restoration thread but I doubt it would help you.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider steveintexas.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-repair-finish-on-unpainted-wood-areas?tu=steveintexas and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.